Carol and Bruno

Intent to marry document (K-1)

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I hired an attorney to process my K-1. I left everything up to the attorney because after paying $1900, surely they know what the hell they're doing, right? Anyhow, later I discovered websites like this one where many petitioners process their own petitions and I'm just amazed at the support you all give one another and the information that can be learned.

After dealing with my attorney's office on countless occasions just trying to get a return phone call or return email, I am completely disappointed in the service I have received for my money. I became completely uncomfortable with this attorney's office and I didn't believe my petition would be filed correctly or timely. When I asked for a refund of my money before my petition was ever filed, so that I could find a more competent attorney, the answer, of course, was NO!! When I complained about the horrendous customer service I was receiving from the attorney's assistance (who, by the way, seems to be the only person I'm allowed to speak to), once again, I was welcomed with a complete lack of caring. They couldn't have cared less about the lack of customer service I was receiving because they had already received my money. I was actually told that if I was not satisfied with his office, then I can find another attorney without being refunded.

Let me share one experience with you. I received an email from my attorney's assistant stating that they had received my NOA1. The assistant included the case number in the email. I immediately went to the USCIS website to make sure this wasn't a joke because truly that's how my experience has been with these people. I entered the case number and the reply from the website was that I was missing a digit. I was furious. That incompetent #$%@ gave me all by one digit of my case number. Can you all imagine how I felt. I had been on pins and needles waiting for my receipt notice and when the attorney's office gave me the good news, they freakin left out one digit. Are you kidding me??? I immediately replied to the email asking for the correct case number. I didn't get a reply for over a week. You all know that a week for us petitioners seems like a lifetime. Hiring an attorney is suppose to reduce the stress of a very stressful and emotional process. These incompetent people added to my stress 10-fold. :crying:

If any of you are planning on hiring an attorney, check to make sure that you can't actually do this process on your own with the help of all the other wonderful petitioners on this site. $1900 is a lot of money to spend for a stamp. When you think about it, all the attorney really does is take all the forms that YOU filled out, place them in an envelope and mail them. I'm not even sure that my documents were looked over for accuracy.

:ot2: Anyhow, I actually want to ask about the letter of intent. After learning more about the K-1 process on my own (definitely not from my attorney) and reading many posts from this site, it seems that myself and my fiance should have supplied a letter of intent for the petition. My attorney's assistant never asked for this document from either of us. I am still waiting for my NOA2. Do you think it is possible to send in both of our letters of intent with a copy of the NOA1 before a RFE is issued? Will the documents be placed in our files?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Our K-1 Timeline

01/12/08: Attorney mailed petition to CSC

01/22/08: NOA1

05/27/08: NOA2

06/03/08: NVC received

06/04/08: NVC forwarded to Rio de Janeiro consulate

06/09/08: Consulate received

06/23/08: Packet 3 sent

08/19/08: Interview!! (Approved!!)

08/27/08: Visa in hand

09/12/08: POE (Washington DC)

09/25/08: Applied for Social Security card

10/06/08: Social Security card received

11/12/08: Marriage!!

AOS Timeline

03/21/09: Mailed AOS docs to Chicago

03/23/09: AOS packet received in Chicago

03/31/09: NOA1

04/03/09: NOA1 Received (His Birthday!!)

04/17/09: Received notice that our case was transferred to CSC on 4/13/09

04/17/09: My case has been entered into the USCIS system!!

04/23/09: Biometrics appointment

05/11/09: AP approved

05/12/09: Case arrived at CSC for further processing

05/13/09: EAD approved

05/13/09: AOS Touched

05/14/09: AP received

05/15/09: EAD card received

06/25/09: Card production ordered

07/06/09: Approval notice sent

07/06/09: Card Received!!!

Removal of Conditions

03/23/11: Will mail I-751

Citizenship

03/23/12: Will mail N-400

.png

Filed: Timeline

I called the USCIS customer service and asked about sending in more papers because I knew the G-325A's that I sent for my fiance were not of the best quality (photocopy). I was told NOT to send anything in to try and prevent a RFE because whatever I sent in after the NOA1 that was not requested would most likely get lost. Logically this makes sense because I assume that my case is in a box in storage somewhere waiting for the time that other cases from this time-frame are given to someone to work with. I doubt that anyone would take any additional un-requested paper-work mailed in and find your filed away case and add the papers with it. From what I have read on this web-site, it seems that the USCIS has a difficult time not losing entire cases, much less additional papers sent in that were not requested.

With all that being said, you have 2 choices: 1. Send the papers and be sure to put your case # all over the outside and inside the envelope or 2. Just wait for the RFE.

The cost to you to send the papers is minimal, so I would just error on the side of hoping that sending the papers can make a difference. You really lose nothing, but might shave some days off of waiting for the NOA2.

From other post I have gathered that an RFE will slow your case down from 1 to 2 weeks, assuming you reply immediately.

Good luck with everything.

Edited by msmuth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Anyhow, I actually want to ask about the letter of intent. After learning more about the K-1 process on my own (definitely not from my attorney) and reading many posts from this site, it seems that myself and my fiance should have supplied a letter of intent for the petition. My attorney's assistant never asked for this document from either of us. I am still waiting for my NOA2. Do you think it is possible to send in both of our letters of intent with a copy of the NOA1 before a RFE is issued? Will the documents be placed in our files?

Click on Example Forms (Top right hand side of this page) and it has a 'letter of intent' sample that you can use. An attorney is not necessary for this process unless you have a 'tricky' case or do not have time to read up on what needs to be done. Ask specific questions and people will try and help you. Do not send anything unless asked for - it won't get matched up with your file. Good Luck

Edited by motu

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Anyhow, I actually want to ask about the letter of intent. After learning more about the K-1 process on my own (definitely not from my attorney) and reading many posts from this site, it seems that myself and my fiance should have supplied a letter of intent for the petition. My attorney's assistant never asked for this document from either of us. I am still waiting for my NOA2. Do you think it is possible to send in both of our letters of intent with a copy of the NOA1 before a RFE is issued? Will the documents be placed in our files?

Click on Example Forms (Top right hand side of this page) and it has a 'letter of intent' sample that you can use. An attorney is not necessary for this process unless you have a 'tricky' case or do not have time to read up on what needs to be done. Ask specific questions and people will try and help you. Good Luck

Thank you motu...I will have the letters ready for the RFE.

Edited by Carol and Bruno

Our K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

.png

I called the USCIS customer service and asked about sending in more papers because I knew the G-325A's that I sent for my fiance were not of the best quality (photocopy). I was told NOT to send anything in to try and prevent a RFE because whatever I sent in after the NOA1 that was not requested would most likely get lost. Logically this makes sense because I assume that my case is in a box in storage somewhere waiting for the time that other cases from this time-frame are given to someone to work with. I doubt that anyone would take any additional un-requested paper-work mailed in and find your filed away case and add the papers with it. From what I have read on this web-site, it seems that the USCIS has a difficult time not losing entire cases, much less additional papers sent in that were not requested.

With all that being said, you have 2 choices: 1. Send the papers and be sure to put your case # all over the outside and inside the envelope or 2. Just wait for the RFE.

The cost to you to send the papers is minimal, so I would just error on the side of hoping that sending the papers can make a difference. You really lose nothing, but might shave some days off of waiting for the NOA2.

From other post I have gathered that an RFE will slow your case down from 1 to 2 weeks, assuming you reply immediately.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks msmuth, I just might go ahead and send the documents in. I can also include the case number on the letter of intents. It will actually cost $60 for him to Fedex his letter to me, but it still might be worth it. Thanks a lot.

Our K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

.png

I had my fiancee scan and email the letter of intent. Then I printed the document on my end to send in with the I-129F. Same thing with the G-325A. Then my fiancee mailed (snail mail) the originals to me in case there are any problems with the copies. Using normal mail from Peru took a little more than 1 week and only cost $4. Everything that I have read says that photo-copies of documents are ok, just make sure you have the originals because they can be asked for at any time. In your case, I would not spend $60 to get the originals and also submit the originals. You want to hold onto the originals. At least this is my understanding. Anyone else want to correct me? If you follow what I did:

1. Get the letter of intent templates from this website

2. Make your changes to the templates

3. Email the document to your fiance

4. Have your fiance print, sign, scan, and email the signed copy back to you. Mail the copy to the USCIS.

5. Have your fiance also mail the signed copy back to you, keep this copy in case it is requested.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

From the Guides...

5. Original statements (from both the US Citizen and foreign fiance) certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US on a valid K-1. (see example)

timeline.jpg

From the Guides...

5. Original statements (from both the US Citizen and foreign fiance) certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US on a valid K-1. (see example)

I don't want to steer anybody wrong about "original" documents versus photocopies, but I base my information on 2 things:

1. I called the USCIS and asked specifically about the "Letter of Intent" because the instructions (I-129Finstr.pdf - Instructions for Form I-129F) on number 5b do say "Provide original statements from you and your fiance(e)". USCIS told me multiple times that photocopies are fine for the letter of intent.

2. A document from the USCIS that supports #1 is the FC-029:

"The Immigration and Naturalization Service has

changed the policy requiring submission of original documents

or certified copies of documents with applications and

petitions.

You may now submit ordinary legible photocopies of

the original documents required, including Naturalization

Certificates and Alien Registration Cards. Please submit copies

of both sides of documents. You may be required to present

the original documents during any subsequent contacts with the

Service."

This would be a good question for another topic to see what the experience of others has been. I am still waiting to see what happens. Has anyone else that submitted an I-129F along with the signed FC-029 received a RFE for photocopies of the letter of intent?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline
That is very interesting. Do you happen to have the link to the USCIS page you found this on?

Its on the I-129F instructions.I-129F Instructions

IMO, that stipulation quoted by msmuth, about submitting copies with I-129F DOES NOT apply for the Letter of Intent. On the same instructions, you are asked to provide original statements/letters of intent for you and your fiance.

Instructions for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)- Pages 2 and 3:

5. What Documents Do You Need to Prove That You Can Legally Marry?

B. Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent;

Instructions for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)- Page 4:

Copies: Unless specifically required that an original document be filed with an application or petition, an ordinary legible photocopy may be submitted. Original documents submitted when not required will remain a part of the record, even if the submission was not required.

Edited by eric_and_teresa

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The rule with lawyers - never ever give them more than half the requested fee until you're satisfied they've earned it.

I wouldn't worry too much about things not having been included since they will send you a RFE for anything that is missing and it will only slow your case up by a week or two at most.

My understanding of originals versus copies is that copies of important documents and certificates that would be costly and possibly time-consuming to replace are acceptable provided you can produce the originals for the interview if asked, but that the forms that you fill in and the letter of intent are to be originals with the signature clearly presented. However, again, this is not a huge concern since all that would happen is that it would generate an RFE, and probably depends on who processes the case and how good a copy has been provided - i.e. a very clear copy may well be accepted on some occasions and generate a RFE on others.

You'll need to provide updated letters of intent for the interview anyway. Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Edited by Mark and Hannah

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

That is very interesting. Do you happen to have the link to the USCIS page you found this on?

I found the FC-029 form on this website. Here is the link:

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/FC-029.pdf

The link is part of this question:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-I129f.html#3.2.1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.