irish44

Places to stay in Moscow for interview

31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
You guys pay 150 a night for these places????? Wow! I'm with slim--being a moscow slum lord seems like a pretty sweet profession, except for the whole paying-off-criminals aspect.

I think there's nothing wrong with a soviet-style apartment, personally. When i was apartment-hunting in russia, since i was american the agent kept on showing me these 2000 euro a month places with mosaic'ed hot tubs and separate sauna rooms. :lol: give me a break!

If I ever get a whole bunch of money, you can bet I'll be the international slumlord of Moscow.

$150/night is amazing money and it seems there's never a shortage of clients..... could be why the other $150/night business does pretty well in Moscow. Connection?

What a neat city.

Problem with "Soviet style" flats is often nothing works very well and the kitchen and bath are "worn" pretty well. Moscow Rick's flat I rented and abandoned was rough...very rough. Maybe a single guy wanting an in town location on the cheap could deal with it...but not for romance. As the woman I met told me..."My flat is better than this one!" So off we went to a decent hotel. It was the Alpha Hotel and was very nice for $100 a night including breakfast and was very close to a metro stop...but kind of far from the centrum. It was off-season (November) so we got upgraded to a VIP room for free. This was a few years ago.

I will say Rick gave me a partial refund but only because he was able to find a quick renter. It just shows how crazy things are in Moscow...you pay Paris prices for third world housing and smile when you get a crapola place under $150 a night.

I will add that Moscow Rick has a number of flats to rent at varying levels of cost and quality. I went with a place that was $70 a night and looked pretty nice in the photos...but as we know, photos can be misleading.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I lived in a soviet-style flat for six months and everything worked normally, but i only paid 240 dollars a month. For 150 a night i'd want to get my money's worth too.

Problem with "Soviet style" flats is often nothing works very well and the kitchen and bath are "worn" pretty well. Moscow Rick's flat I rented and abandoned was rough...very rough. Maybe a single guy wanting an in town location on the cheap could deal with it...but not for romance. As the woman I met told me..."My flat is better than this one!" So off we went to a decent hotel. It was the Alpha Hotel and was very nice for $100 a night including breakfast and was very close to a metro stop...but kind of far from the centrum. It was off-season (November) so we got upgraded to a VIP room for free. This was a few years ago.

I will say Rick gave me a partial refund but only because he was able to find a quick renter. It just shows how crazy things are in Moscow...you pay Paris prices for third world housing and smile when you get a crapola place under $150 a night.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I lived in a soviet-style flat for six months and everything worked normally, but i only paid 240 dollars a month. For 150 a night i'd want to get my money's worth too.

For $240 a month you can't get a cardboard box in Moscow. Where'd you live...the Arctic Circle?

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Five years ago, I rented an apartment through waytorussia. While it was small, everything worked and it was clean. And the owners were very helpful and nice. It was fine for the three nights that we needed to be there. At that time, the apartment rented for $70/night. I just checked, and the same apartment now rents for $97/night......a little too much for such a small apartment IMO. But, the location is good. It just depends on your standards, how long you want to be there, and how much you can afford. $150/night is a bit pricey for me.

Timeline

Nope, in the center of spb. I had 2 flatmates though, so the whole cost was 800 a month.

I think part of the problem is that to get a good deal in Russia, you really need connections. Services which cater to foreigners are always going to be ridiculously overpriced because they figure, hey, you're a foreigner, you can and will pay it.

For $240 a month you can't get a cardboard box in Moscow. Where'd you live...the Arctic Circle?

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

And we have a winner! Exactly, Eekee. There is a reason I will let Alla find her own accommodations in Moscow for her interview. She'll work her circle and maybe even pull it off for free.

Nope, in the center of spb. I had 2 flatmates though, so the whole cost was 800 a month.

I think part of the problem is that to get a good deal in Russia, you really need connections. Services which cater to foreigners are always going to be ridiculously overpriced because they figure, hey, you're a foreigner, you can and will pay it.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

Yep, it's like when you go to a museum in russia and the price in english is listed as 400 roubles, and the one in russian is 100.

I think most of the guys here are just trying to give their fiancees the most comfortable experiences possible for their interview, but it'd probably work out better if the lady worked it out herself and didn't let on she needed a place so she could go to an interview to marry an american. Not only does one have to type like a Russian, but one has to think like one too. :lol:

And we have a winner! Exactly, Eekee. There is a reason I will let Alla find her own accommodations in Moscow for her interview. She'll work her circle and maybe even pull it off for free.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

This is the one piece of advice Alla has been constantly reinforcing in mind! I'm all for chivalry, but let's face it, our Russian girls and guys know what they are doing! Alla will work her circle and find a place far cheaper with reasonable comfort than I could from this side of the pond. :yes:

Yep, it's like when you go to a museum in russia and the price in english is listed as 400 roubles, and the one in russian is 100.

I think most of the guys here are just trying to give their fiancees the most comfortable experiences possible for their interview, but it'd probably work out better if the lady worked it out herself and didn't let on she needed a place so she could go to an interview to marry an american. Not only does one have to type like a Russian, but one has to think like one too. :lol:

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

You guys have now joined the official Satellite bandwagon.

"She speaks Russian, is in Russia.... make her rent an apartment like a normal Russian. You're suckers if you pay 10X the money a Russian would for an apartment in Moscow."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

If you got something 10x nicer, go ahead and treat your girl to a nice place. But my impression is that you mostly get the same stuff, but pay a lot more.

I guess I was on the sat bandwagon before I ever joined vj, because I didn't even go to look at the apartment we rented for six months until the contracts were signed for fear they would charge us more once they saw an american would be living there too. If my guy is with me, he does all the deals with cabs etc. I'm not paying extra just cause I have an accent. If an american girl tries to pay 150 roubles for 10 kilometers they'll be like hell no, but for a russian guy and girl most will.

You guys have now joined the official Satellite bandwagon.

"She speaks Russian, is in Russia.... make her rent an apartment like a normal Russian. You're suckers if you pay 10X the money a Russian would for an apartment in Moscow."

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Unclepasha.com also has some "alternative" (cheap) contact info on his site.

I swear that guy has the strangest site I have ever been on, it's like a maze of old pages over lapping new ones, you never know where you end up following the navigation links.

Lots of odd yet interesting stuff though.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

If you really want to cut corners on the price tag in moscow, you can go to globalfreeloaders.com and there are a lot of folks there who will put folks up for free or cheap.

In fact, if you are the "personable type" you can travel anywhere and be hosted by locals who like to meet and get to know travelers.

The honor code says you will host others from time to time as well.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

I've done that before, twice. It was actually very cool and my hosts were wonderful. Did not use this site, a different one, I cannot remember the name.

If you really want to cut corners on the price tag in moscow, you can go to globalfreeloaders.com and there are a lot of folks there who will put folks up for free or cheap.

In fact, if you are the "personable type" you can travel anywhere and be hosted by locals who like to meet and get to know travelers.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

On this trip we stayed with one person from couchsurfing.com and one person from hospitalityclub. It worked out really well. I think Russia tends to be a difficult place for that kind of accomodation though, because not that many people in Russia have an extra bed and people live with their parents until marriage.

If we manage to afford an extra room in spb though, we will definitely host people this way.

I've done that before, twice. It was actually very cool and my hosts were wonderful. Did not use this site, a different one, I cannot remember the name.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

That was the one Eekee! «Hospitality Club». I agree, not many people can host guests in Russia. It seems they barely can host themselves sometimes! I went to Tallinn, Estonia and split my stay with an Estonian and a Russian family. The made me feel very welcome and went out of their way to accommodate me. :)

On this trip we stayed with one person from couchsurfing.com and one person from hospitalityclub. It worked out really well. I think Russia tends to be a difficult place for that kind of accomodation though, because not that many people in Russia have an extra bed and people live with their parents until marriage.

If we manage to afford an extra room in spb though, we will definitely host people this way.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.