HumanUnit

Confused about tax forms for the I-864

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I just received the Affidavit of Support forms and I'm confused about something!

On the "Important Notice for Sponsors" form it has Guidelines and says that I need to complete federal tax returns with all supporting schedules and/or W-2s for the most recent tax year. However, the little provided booklet under "Evidence of Income" says that I need to submit a copy of my complete Federal income tax return for each of the most recent 3 tax years.

I'm confused about which one it is - one year or three? If anyone could clarify that would be lovely.

Nov 29 2005 I-130 received at VSC

Mar 13 2006 I-130 approved at CSC

April 24 2006 $380 mailed to NVC

May 5 2006 I-186 mailed to NVC

May 18 2006 I-186 received by NVC

Filed: Timeline

HumanUnit,

Yes, it would be lovely.

The USCIS is now requiring only the one most recent tax return, and there is anecdotal evidence that at least some of the consulates are doing the same.

Yodrak

Hello everyone,

I just received the Affidavit of Support forms and I'm confused about something!

On the "Important Notice for Sponsors" form it has Guidelines and says that I need to complete federal tax returns with all supporting schedules and/or W-2s for the most recent tax year. However, the little provided booklet under "Evidence of Income" says that I need to submit a copy of my complete Federal income tax return for each of the most recent 3 tax years.

I'm confused about which one it is - one year or three? If anyone could clarify that would be lovely.

Timeline

Thank you!! My husband hasn't received the information about what he needs to send in for the interview/Embassy but I suppose from your email that tax returns will be required there as well?

As per the advice on this website, I requested my tax transcripts ages ago from the IRS and never heard back. I wonder if that's because I live in Canada? It was quite bizarre...but then again, this form asks me for my tax "returns" so I don't know if the transcripts would have sufficed.

HumanUnit,

Actually, since your husband is applying for an immigrant visa, your I-864 package will be sent to the NVC. The NVC will inspect it for completeness and then forward it on to the consulate along with the rest of the file, the consulate will evaluate the affidavit. Or did you file your I-130 by DCF? (I don't recall exactly when that option became available....)

IRS tax transcripts are generally quite acceptable in lieu of photocopied tax returns. Don't know why you haven't received them if you requested them.

Yodrak

Thank you!! My husband hasn't received the information about what he needs to send in for the interview/Embassy but I suppose from your email that tax returns will be required there as well?

As per the advice on this website, I requested my tax transcripts ages ago from the IRS and never heard back. I wonder if that's because I live in Canada? It was quite bizarre...but then again, this form asks me for my tax "returns" so I don't know if the transcripts would have sufficed.

Timeline

Thanks very much Yodrak. I'll hunt around for a phone number and maybe call to see what's going on with those transcripts!

Can I assume that all we need to include is the Federal part (the 1040?) and I can omit the state bit? I'm also confused about the supporting stuff it wants - I have a W2 but I also have all kinds of Canadian tax information that I'm not sure if I should be including. Maybe I will, just in case!

Thanks again for your help!

HumanUnit,

You only need the federal return, but note that you need the complete return which may include more than just the 1040 (the W-2, for one).

Yodrak

Thanks very much Yodrak. I'll hunt around for a phone number and maybe call to see what's going on with those transcripts!

Can I assume that all we need to include is the Federal part (the 1040?) and I can omit the state bit? I'm also confused about the supporting stuff it wants - I have a W2 but I also have all kinds of Canadian tax information that I'm not sure if I should be including. Maybe I will, just in case!

Thanks again for your help!

The USCIS is now requiring only the one most recent tax return, and there is anecdotal evidence that at least some of the consulates are doing the same.

Yodrak

Yodrak

I came across this telegram today dated march 2006 to all consular posts re Revised Requirements for Form I-864 Processing.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_1446.html

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline

Hi aussiwench,

Thanks for the link! It says that the signature on the form no longer needs to be notarized, which is a really substantial issue for me! Has anyone heard this from another source??

Thanks again,

HU

Hi aussiwench,

Thanks for the link! It says that the signature on the form no longer needs to be notarized, which is a really substantial issue for me! Has anyone heard this from another source??

Thanks again,

HU

Cant get a better source then from the horses mouth :P The issue really is NVC catching up, as that is who the I-864 will be submitted to. I have seen a post just recent where only one years tax return was requested from NVC and the AOS form itself had changed slightly. I think over the next few weeks we will start to get a clearer picture of what NVC is going to be requiring.

Those doing DCF are the ones that will be seeing this new policy sooner. Hopefully by the time you are at NVC stage they will have caught up fully and this will apply to you as well.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline

Thank you so much! I finally got someone on the phone at the NVC and he said it was no problem, there's no notarization required and only one year of tax information. I suppose all this stuff is fairly new, which is why the forms don't reflect these changes.

:dance:

You all are super helpful!

Thank you so much! I finally got someone on the phone at the NVC and he said it was no problem, there's no notarization required and only one year of tax information. I suppose all this stuff is fairly new, which is why the forms don't reflect these changes.

:dance:

You all are super helpful!

Yes it is all new.....and its going to make things somewhat easier for those doing CR-1. Thats good to hear and thank you for confirming that.

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

aussiewench,

Thanks.

Yodrak

Yodrak

Yodrak

I came across this telegram today dated march 2006 to all consular posts re Revised Requirements for Form I-864 Processing.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_1446.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I am new to this site, I really wish I'd found it a year and a half ago when we got married. Anyway, this piece of information about the I-864 form makes me VERY happy and I am so very glad I found the site JUST for that! Huge hugs all around to everyone for questioning and confirming. :dance:

Timeline

Everyone, just an update...I got an email today from the NVC saying that they do need THREE years, which is in total contradiction to what I was told over the phone. I'll have to call tomorrow to clear it up since of course there's no getting through on the phone now!

I also ironically received my tax transcripts today that I had ordered on March 31 and sent in via fax. I live in Canada, which could explain the delay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.