bearmirus

Quick Montreal Interview review for IR1 visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Quick Montreal Interview review for IR1 visa

This is my quick review of everything of what I went through without the drama. I will be posting a new topic of my story starting the day I arrive into Montreal. I wanted to point out that it is highly unlikely that you will experience the same procedure as I did unless you have limited mobility or hearing impaired like me.

At 7:00am, I walked over to the front entrance from Tim Horton and was the only person there until 7:25am where a couple and a man showed up.

The right side of the double door opened at 7:30am promptly and a security officer made a quick announcement to be sure to have our appointment letter and passport out in our hand for inspection. The man behind me did not have the letter with him and was turned away.

I walked through the door and walked up a couple of steps and through another set of double glass doors. I was directed to the right side of the X-ray machine. A couple behind me went to the left side of the X-ray. From what I can tell, there’s no difference between the left and right side other than having different officers. I emptied out all of my pockets, including the jacket and pant pockets into the first tray, put my jacket into the 2nd tray and put my x-ray into the third tray. While I was the first person to go through the door, I was given with the letter B card.

Then I waited until the officer beckons me to walk through the security metal detector. Then asked me to extend my arms out for him to use his metal detector wand. This whole procedure is exactly like what you would go through in the secondary checkpoint at an airport.

Once everything checked out, I gathered my things and headed into the waiting room in the basement

I waited about 15 minutes before an officer from the front entrance came down and told me, and only me, to come with him to the elevator. The couple that had the letter A was told to stay in the waiting room for a bit longer.

As I rode up in the elevator, the office told me that we will be exiting out in the back door. Once we arrived on the 19th floor, I followed the officer directly to the small waiting room and to window 9 where he “handed me over” to the lady who was waiting for me at Window 9.

The cheerful blonde lady asked for the appointment letter and my B card. Again, I informed the lady that I’m hearing impaired and I would try my best to understand what she will say. I also gave a post-it note on top of the appointment letter stated the same thing just in case. She said no problem and told me to wait for a bit at the window.

Within two minutes, the lady came back and gesture me to go to Window 12, which was located on the other side of the small room where I met a different and older lady. She asked for the following documents

a. Passport

b. Medical Letter

c. 2 copies of my passport pictures (2” by 2”)

d. Xpressport (which I already prefilled the addresses)

Then I had to sign the DS-230 Part II form. She asked me to sit down and somebody will meet with me in a few minutes.

About 5 minutes later, this is where it gets a bit weird. The Window 12 lady came up to me personally and informs me to follow her. She directed me to room #8 and like everybody said here in the forum, the room is quite small. I met with another older lady behind the glass but boy, was she tough to understand. At first, she was explaining the process of what we were about to go through and will inform me the result after the questionings. I had to ask her to repeat a few times with some of the words she was saying. Thankfully she was patience and was more than happy to write down the words on a piece of paper to help me out.

Then the actual interview begins. She pulled out the DS-230 form, pointed at question 14, and asked me if Heather is my wife and we got married in 2003? I said yes on both count.

She asked me about question 13 about my address to make sure it is correct. I said yes that is correct.

That was it. She said that all the paperwork appears to be in order except for one thing, the overstay violation. She gave me two option, wait until my 3 year ban is completed or file a waiver form. I handed in my waiver form, I-601 with some supporting documents.

The lady was surprised that I had all these stuff prepared. She asked me to go to window 14 which is the cashier and be sure to get two receipts. There was nobody in line so I had a prompt service. I handed in a money order of $545 and was given two receipts. Then I went back to room 8 and handed the lady one of the receipt which she clipped to my case file and said that’s all. It would take 6-12 months to hear the result of my waiver from Vermont and I was out of the door.

Overall the whole timeframe from walking through the first set of doors outside to the time I finish the interview, took 30 minutes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Somehow at least you know what to expect.... still quite long to wait. Did you checked how long they process the forms I601 in vermont ?

Good luck for everything to come !

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

I'm so proud of you for being so strong.

Being prepared and calm like you were, I think it's awesome and I wish you a very speedy approval.

Hugs hon

~Laura

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Wow, another 6-12 months of waiting? I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things will move along faster than that for you. Luckily you were prepared for it.

06/12/04 ~ Met Laurent

02/23/07 ~ He proposed :)

05/05/07 ~ Married in Quebec

I-130

06/22/07 ~ I-130 sent to VSC

06/29/07 ~ NOA 1

10/15/07 ~ NOA 2 (115 days)

NVC

10/22/07 ~ NVC received case/case number assigned

02/19/08 ~ Case complete (120 days)

02/26/08 ~ Case forwarded to Montreal

Montreal

04/24/08 ~ INTERVIEW - APPROVED :)(65 days) (300 days from NOA1 to interview)

04/29/08 ~ Received Visa

USA

05/23/08 ~ Larry moved to the US :)

06/06/08 ~ Received SSN

06/26/08 ~ Received 2 year Greencard

ROC

02/02/10 ~ I-751 sent to VSC

02/05/10 ~ NOA

03/04/10 ~ Bio. Appt.

04/29/10 ~ Card production ordered

05/06/10 ~ Received 10 year Greencard

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck in getting your visa approval through quickly. It sounds like you had a good experience. Thanks for the review.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Great review bearmirus, I'm also glad you were prepared with your waiver, that makes it easier I think than just getting a conditional denial and sending forms and not knowing when anyone will contact you.

6 to 12 months seems excessive and I hope it is much much speedier than that for you :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.