Desh

Hiring a laywer for K1

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
WE filed our K1 last January 2008, my foreign fiancee hired a lawyer to represent him on the process. Is it advantage to have a lawyer? does it shorten the period of processing?

I personally dont think there is any benefit in hiring a lawyer unless you forsee some problems with your case, most people here file on their own. Their is no precedence given to cases handled by lawyers. All the info you would need is here either in the guides or by peoples personal experiences.

Good luck with your journey and :time: .

Edited by Sal and Jay

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
WE filed our K1 last January 2008, my foreign fiancee hired a lawyer to represent him on the process. Is it advantage to have a lawyer? does it shorten the period of processing?

A lawyer can't speed anything up! Alot of times they slow petitions down or even mess them up! The only need to hire a lawyer would be if you or your fiance had some extentuating circumstances! If you have any questions you can always ask anyone on this website and someone will know the answer!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I personally dont think there is any benefit in hiring a lawyer unless you forsee some problems with your case, most people here file on their own. Their is no precedence given to cases handled by lawyers. All the info you would need is here either in the guides or by peoples personal experiences.

agree

July 19------------Send the I-129F

July 26------------Recieved

December 7th----NOA2 online

December 14-----NOA2 Hard Copy

December 21-----NVC recieved

December 28-----NVC send to US embassy in Ethiopia

January 8---------US embassy in Ethiopia will recieve

January 11--------Packet 3

February 7 -------Interview

February 7 -------Passed interview

February 12------VISA in hand

February 22------IN the USA

March 1-----------Wedding

March 15----------Sent AOS

July 7 -------------Finger Print

January 27, 2009--Green card approved without interview. It took almost one year though.

Feb 2 -------------Got the green card in the mail

Next: playing the waiting game for the 2 years holding removal

omg_wtf.jpg

Fully agree, with all the information posted here, tell your significant other just read here and he will get as much information and help as a lawyer. I don´t see where a lawyer fits here.

No need. This website alone has all the information that you need. Just follow the instructions and file/bring all the documents required and you will do just fine.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

I don't think hiring a lawyer would work since there is no expedite process for family-based immigration. Just read the guides here and you'll be fine. Most of the VJers managed to finish the immigration process on their own and everything posted here is first-hand experience... :thumbs:

2-0. In favor of the boys.

Based on our experience a lawyer doesn't help much in expediting the process. It was just an added expense on our part. We paid him $1000 just to submit our paperworks & still I wasn't satisfied with his service (the forms he sent for us to sign had misspells & error in entries which caused delays, etc). Besides, he's not much of help when it comes to information after we got our NOA2. I learned everything I need to know about the K1 process when I joined this site; it offers valuable info. How I wished I found this site before we process our application, it would save us a thousand dollars. :rolleyes: Anyway, I suggest you read thoroughly the posts in this site especially Sheriff Uling's K1 Visa Guide. They are valuable source of information. Likewise, do not hesitate to ask questions. VJ members are willing to answer your questions & assist you in this journey. Goodluck! :thumbs:

"...when I found the one my heart loves, I held him and would not let him go..." - Song of Solomon 3:4

View my wedding photo slideshow

Visit my blog "Filipina In America"

Check out some articles I wrote

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

actually, with our case, i couldn't disagree more. we hired a lawyer (an international lawyer, who is accustomed to these cases) and judging by the timelines on here, i haven't seen a single couple move through the process faster than we have.

so, based on personal experience, i would say it is definitely worth it to have someone to take care of alot of the hassle, the headaches, and answering of questions. plus he organized everything and made sure it was perfect before it was sent.

it may also have helped that im in the military, and have a pretty intensive background check done by the government before i got my "job"

so, based on how quickly we have been moving along, i would say it was worth it...to us at least.

Met on Filipinaheart.com: 2006-09-26

Became "official": 2006-10-19

Met in person: 2007-08-12

I proposed: 2007-08-13

Returned to America, started missing her:2007-08-24

I-129F Sent : 2008-01-28

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-02-11

Touched: 2008-02-25

I-129F NOA2: 2008-03-06

NOA2 Hard Copy: 2008-03-12

NVC case number assigned: 2008-03-14

Medical: 2008-04-17 PASSED!

Documents forwarded to NSO:2008-04-21

Interview: 2008-04-23 APPROVED (AR) !!

Verified Documents forwarded to USEM from NSO:2008-05-06

May 13 Got text from Delbros that Visa will be delivered up to next 2 days: w00t!

Visa on hand:2008-05-13 w00t!!!!

Ticket to San Antonio,TX: 2008-05-30

Wedding: 2008-08-09

In the Church of my forefathers in Minnesota :)

Baby due: 2009-05-20

AOS Timeline

Submitted application to USCIS: 2009-02-12

NOA: 2009-02-20

Biometrics schedule: 2009-03-17

Advance Parole : April 10, 2009 (received)

EAD: April 13, 2009 (received)

Welcome Notice: April 28,2009 (received) yehey!!!!

Permanent Resident Card: May 2,2009 Woo!!!! Praise GOD!!!

sig-for-vj.gif

n709537951_2223364_6181.jpg

Bad idea and waste of money, you wont get through the system any faster.

Citizenship

8/06/2011 - Package sent

8/25/2011 - Biometrics schedule

9/26/2011 - Interview date received

10/09/2011 - Received yellow letter

11/08/2011 - Interview date THANKS GOD went smooth n pretty easy with the nice lady IO takes 9-10 minutes wow???????????????

I think I waited more time for my Oath Ceremony schedule rather than interview process and after 13 minutes the lady gave my sched WOW CAN'T BELIEVE ......yayyyyyyy

11/16/2011 - Oath Ceremony

Visit My Website

www.roseandchuck.com

Removing Conditions

08/3/2010 - File for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/6/2010 - Received date/ Noticed Date

9/06/2010 - Biometric Date Modesto

12/2/2010 - Card production( they orderd) new card. I just checked I'm not in hurry but hahahaha lucky GOD IS SO GOOD THANKS FOR EVERYTHING PAPA JESUS MWAHHH.

AOS

06/06/2008 - AOS PACKAGE SENT

06/09/2008 - RECEIVED DATE

06/13/2008- NOTICED DATE checked cleared ( received in mail 06/17/2008 notice for AOS, EAD and AP)

07/09/2008- BIOMETRICS date modesto

08/18/2008- AP APPROVED ( received date 8/22/2008)

08/18/2008- EAD APPROVED ( received date 8/27/2008)

09/17/2008- RECEIVED interview date appoinment

10/29/2008- INTERVIEW date 1:00pm sacramento (approved)

11/05/2008- RECEIVED WELCOME NOTICE

11/07/2008- RECEIVED GREEN CARD

banner-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.