Beauty for Ashes

post traumatic green card disorder

52 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I believe women are smarter than men in Intelligence ;) I think We have strength mentally they have strength physically. When you argue with your man you usually win with good comebacks yeah? Woman arguing with other women never end !! :jest: Men are scared of women. Even the most controlling man can be controlled. Hell yeah.

*raises eyebrow*

Hmm ...

Bleh. I could think of something to say but I'm too lazy. Hey, think up a manly response for me. XD

Oh, hey! Wait, nevermind.

( *raises hand* computer scientist by trade. I'm stupid, and I hit my head on rocks for fun. Sure! I can be controlled. :D I just need ... motivation. )

Edited by KyanWan

The moral of my story: Stick with someone who matches your own culture.

( This coming from an Arab who married an Arab from overseas... go figure. )

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Another consequence is, because of people like that, foreign spouses/fiance(e)s are usually thought to be using the USC until they can prove otherwise.

:(

Saludos,

Caro

Ya!! It's a sad state of affairs. This stereotype has developed over MANY years and will be very hard to deconstruct.

What would really interest me is to have cold hard figures of how many marriages end because the relationship didnt work, and how many end because the person got what they wanted and left. Not some concocted/opinionated figures.. but TRUE facts.

Its a very easy out to say "HE/SHE used me!!"

anyway....

Cstacee - 09:52am Jun 23, 2003 (136. 185/1145)

Need a divorce.

I was married in 1997 to a man in Jordan. I filed all of the paperwork when to the adjustment of staus interview in 1998, and never heard anything else. He never came to the US because he wanted to make sure everything was OK in Jordan and wanted to receive his visa before he left Jordan. In 1999, I was told that he had married aMuslim woman in Jordan, and did not want to come here anymore. I have had no contact with him since. Recently, I have decided to remarry, and contacted his cousins who are in my city to have a copy of my divorce papers sent from Jordan. I found out that he never divorced me. Now I have called divorce lawyers who say to call immigration lawyers, and immigration lawyers who say to call divorce lawyers. Even the courthouse where I live tell me that I am unble to obtain a divorce, because he is in another country and can't be served by Sheriffs. What can I do?

How does this apply to my quote, please?

Also, how can one apply for AOS if the beneficiary has never been to the US? What exactly was she adjusting?

Second, cant she asked for an islamic divorce by means that he has been "away" form her for an exdended period? I think this is grounds. Someone correct me if Im wrong here please. After solid, proven efforts to get US divorce papers signed by the other party, you can move forward with it on your own. (again, someone please correct me if Im wrong) It seems that you wouldnt be "trapped" in a marriage by (by US laws and standards) just because the other party wont sign ????

:blink:

Lisa

Yes, that "quote" is completely wrong.

You can file a petition in court, then make a good faith effort with your attorney to contact the party. If you have been abandoned - you can get an ex-parte divorce. No problem. I almost got one myself - um - but decided not to - I chased that "thing" down - and shamed it well. [ I just thought of a few "choice" words in my head while thinking of that ... thing. ]

You just need to wait 6 months for a "reasonable" time tp pass for contact by the defendant.

---

People shouldn't post misinformation like that ... On legal subjects, and other subjects which they are evidently NOT knowledgeable on.

Edited by KyanWan

The moral of my story: Stick with someone who matches your own culture.

( This coming from an Arab who married an Arab from overseas... go figure. )

Filed: Timeline

You can file a petition in court, then make a good faith effort with your attorney to contact the party. If you have been abandoned - you can get an ex-parte divorce. No problem. I almost got one myself - um - but decided not to - I chased that "thing" down - and shamed it well. [ I just thought of a few "choice" words in my head while thinking of that ... thing. ]

You just need to wait 6 months for a "reasonable" time tp pass for contact by the defendant.

---

too bad you werent able to help this girl...to my knowledge she is still stuck in a marriage to the guy who married her for papers and changed his mind

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

oooookkkkkk, what are we talking about again?

lol

July 19------------Send the I-129F

July 26------------Recieved

December 7th----NOA2 online

December 14-----NOA2 Hard Copy

December 21-----NVC recieved

December 28-----NVC send to US embassy in Ethiopia

January 8---------US embassy in Ethiopia will recieve

January 11--------Packet 3

February 7 -------Interview

February 7 -------Passed interview

February 12------VISA in hand

February 22------IN the USA

March 1-----------Wedding

March 15----------Sent AOS

July 7 -------------Finger Print

January 27, 2009--Green card approved without interview. It took almost one year though.

Feb 2 -------------Got the green card in the mail

Next: playing the waiting game for the 2 years holding removal

omg_wtf.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Another consequence is, because of people like that, foreign spouses/fiance(e)s are usually thought to be using the USC until they can prove otherwise.

Saludos,

Caro

Ya!! It's a sad state of affairs. This stereotype has developed over MANY years and will be very hard to deconstruct.

What would really interest me is to have cold hard figures of how many marriages end because the relationship didnt work, and how many end because the person got what they wanted and left. Not some concocted/opinionated figures.. but TRUE facts.

anyway....

The true hard facts are why there are hellish aps,221s and marriage fraud units at ICE.Your situation is a real love story but many are not,so much so that embassies such as Egypt have put advisories out about marriage fraud.....10 years ago there wasnt a string of 221d petitions out of Casa and Cairo because the internet didnt exist as it does today...The k1 was an easy process.The fact that obtaining visa has become a horrible procees is a new one....9 11 contributed to alot...adam walsh to more...and although your marriage is real....many are not and the embassies flush alot of the fake marrriages and engagements out...catching legit marriages in the crossfire....Its not as much a stereotype but JFK airport got to the point in the late 90s to stop royal air maroc planes and ask the wives to come pick up their husbands and would make mass arrests..Jordan doesnt have the level of immigrant visas that a country like Morocco or Egypt has so you wont see the level of fraud nor do I believe is Ammans consulate as tough as lets say Casa or Cairo with year long aps....The people with the truest picture are ICE,Homeland Security who investigates marriages when they naturalise(comparing welfare and tax records...some people like an Algerian friend of mine are facing deportation for marriage fraud 5 years after adjusting status..)Just because you personally have not been affected,there are marriage fraud units outwhere I live making arrests and home visits daily........Hundreds of arabs right now sit in florida s ice units from everything from marriage fraud to visa overstay and the uscis pays very careful attention to statistics and USC complaints...thats why some consulates are harder to get through than others....Its a sad hard reality reflected in mena processing times (not just terrorism makes them hold these files....its also repeat reports of marriage fraud and the victimization of USCs

I DO understand that this happens VERY often, I am just curious as to HOW often it happens... ALOT of the proven fraud is commited by BOTH parties.

I told an EX friend of mine that I was traveling to Jordan to meet habibi.... he said straight up to me "I can find you someone who will pay you to marry him and get a greencard" ( he has lots of family in Jordan) :blink:

I was completely shocked!!! Not that I didnt think this went on, but this guy..whom I thought would say something like congrats! Went into this 20 minute long speech about how he could find me some guy to marry and if it worked out.. fine, if not Id have my money anyway! "You can live together, or he can pay for your rent wherever you want to live"

I said I wanted to marry for love, not fraud and money!!!!

Needless to say this guy is not my friend any longer. and now my husband wants to give him the biggest dadora hee hee

Im not saying all this because I was lucky enough to find true love 6500 miles away... I am just curious.. my mind works well with hard figures, what can I say. I try not to personalize too much

So, maybe Ill preform my own study.. it will take many years and extensive travel. lol I'll publish the results when Im done ha ha ha

Lisa

Lisa

ta da!! now u understand me very good habibiti!! lol... and fyi ya sweetheart.. it will be more than brutal headbutt.. it will contain many kinds or arabic kicking.. using belt and stones..lol!!! bahbek kteer

A 1000 MiLeS jOuRnEy BeGiNs WiTh 1 StEp.

coollogo_com_85561955.gif

thDSC04457.jpgthcutehabibiti.jpgthDSC04482.jpgthDSC04476.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/mejwez

i spent 15 months and 13 days without my wife.... enough said

http://www.4shared.com/file/87165041/271184eb/__-__.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
oooookkkkkk, what are we talking about again?

lol

We are talking about the easter bunny! :P

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Saludos,

Caro

anyway....

Need a divorce.

I was married in 1997 to a man in Jordan. I filed all of the paperwork when to the adjustment of staus interview in 1998, and never heard anything else. He never came to the US because he wanted to make sure everything was OK in Jordan and wanted to receive his visa before he left Jordan. In 1999, I was told that he had married aMuslim woman in Jordan, and did not want to come here anymore. I have had no contact with him since. Recently, I have decided to remarry, and contacted his cousins who are in my city to have a copy of my divorce papers sent from Jordan. I found out that he never divorced me. Now I have called divorce lawyers who say to call immigration lawyers, and immigration lawyers who say to call divorce lawyers. Even the courthouse where I live tell me that I am unble to obtain a divorce, because he is in another country and can't be served by Sheriffs. What can I do?

Also, how can one apply for AOS if the beneficiary has never been to the US? What exactly was she adjusting?

Second, cant she asked for an islamic divorce by means that he has been "away" form her for an exdended period? I think this is grounds. Someone correct me if Im wrong here please. After solid, proven efforts to get US divorce papers signed by the other party, you can move forward with it on your own. (again, someone please correct me if Im wrong) It seems that you wouldnt be "trapped" in a marriage by (by US laws and standards) just because the other party wont sign ????

Lisa

---

People shouldn't post misinformation like that ... On legal subjects, and other subjects which they are evidently NOT knowledgeable on.

Thanks, I thought it sounded like complete and utter nonsense.

Im obviously not a lawyer, but I do have some common sense.. hee hee :)

Lisa

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Saludos,

Caro

anyway....

Need a divorce.

Lisa

---

Thanks, I thought it sounded like complete and utter nonsense.

Im obviously not a lawyer, but I do have some common sense.. hee hee :)

Lisa

actually Lisa there is some truth to it

Here in Florida I know some women women stuck in foreign marriages they cannot get out of

The reason is that florida says you can get divorce with publishing in a newspaper...perhaps the responder can get divorced in jordann but i cant easily..Im not a resident or former one. I would have to show I mailed something and it was returned and algeria will not do this.There is also no service of papers there or membership in any reciprocal group (they are NOT members of the hague)If my child was taken there I have no rights to force my husband to send her back and he can divorce me without service just cause he feels like it and I cant do the same...Its the mudawana there...so overseas marriages that go south can sometimes be very dangerous to the american.....there are cases of children still kept in algeria and egupt from their american mothers...The laws are NOT like here...It should not be minimised ...I have a close friend whos children have been in tunisia for 2 years and she cannot take them out....shes a floridian too...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Wahrania,

An off topic question here, but I am a bit of an international law junky and so am really curious if the fact that Tunisia has signed the Hague Convention has made any difference at all in your friend's case. Just wondering if it has any "teeth."

Wahrania,

An off topic question here, but I am a bit of an international law junky and so am really curious if the fact that Tunisia has signed the Hague Convention has made any difference at all in your friend's case. Just wondering if it has any "teeth."

It might.....this information is huge.......Ill call her..that means if she gets ajudgement here ...they have to enforce it...thanks jp

Timeline

Hmm, my mistake. I don't think they have signed it. I am not sure it really means much. Here is the DOS sheet on Tunisia: http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/c...ountry_531.html

Edited by jpaula

Hmm, my mistake. I don't think they have signed it. I am not sure it really means much. Here is the DOS sheet on Tunisia: http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/c...ountry_531.html

I amsure you have heard about Nassima in Algiers....dad took her back on a vacation and its been 2 years.Mom hasnt seen her since...except recently in a court...she no longer spoke english...the 2 children are very small and in the tunisian desert and dad refuses to let them out of tunisia...he promised he would...he now refuses to and he is living in the states and they are still in tunisia and there isnt a dam thing she can do

The law is very different and much as we romanticise mena...laws concerning custody do NOT protect american mothers in many mena countries...I would absolutely NOT take my child to a mena home country unless the marriage was on extremely solid ground and would never let my child go without me,never,ever,ever.......

Timeline

The problem is not specifically a MENA problem, but I do agree that you should know the custody laws of any country you decide to bring your children to. And, you should know that for many countries if you have a child with a man from that country your child is considered a dual national and that may have legal consequences. We, of course, believe ours should apply. It should not be that surprising that they think their custody rules should apply. So, we should understand very clearly what those are as they are often very different.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.