Roberts

New & waiting

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Hi all! I am so glad I found this site... I'm a little shaken & nervous after reading the beginning guides...There is so much involved and I am amazed at what people have to do in order to be with their foriegn loved one home.

I found this site while I was trying to find info on bringing my man here. Well, I found that I can't file until we actually meet. We had initially planned on meeting the first part of April, but they are making him get a visa due to a traffic violation 20 some yrs ago. This is requiring a police report. I noticed he will need a police report also when we file either K-1 or K-3, should he get more than 1 copy of that report? how many?

Also We thought it would be faster for a Spouse visa, but it looks like the Fiance visa is faster... I will be looking at timelines here as time permits but I'm not sure what all this terminology means yet, so I'd also like to hear from you directly with your thoughts on this. I welcome any friends who would take me under their wings to help us, we appreciate anything you give us.

Also Is there anything else we should be doing as we await our first meeting?

What can we do to prepare?

oh and I saw something about me needing to meet poverty level guidelines (or something of that nature) where can I find out if I meet that requirement? I need to make enough money!!!!!!!?????!!!!!! Is there anything else that important that we should know about? What are some of your shoockers?

thanks you all, I am thankful to know there are others here, what a blessing!!!!

Hi all! I am so glad I found this site... I'm a little shaken & nervous after reading the beginning guides...There is so much involved and I am amazed at what people have to do in order to be with their foriegn loved one home.

I found this site while I was trying to find info on bringing my man here. Well, I found that I can't file until we actually meet. We had initially planned on meeting the first part of April, but they are making him get a visa due to a traffic violation 20 some yrs ago. This is requiring a police report. I noticed he will need a police report also when we file either K-1 or K-3, should he get more than 1 copy of that report? how many?

Also We thought it would be faster for a Spouse visa, but it looks like the Fiance visa is faster... I will be looking at timelines here as time permits but I'm not sure what all this terminology means yet, so I'd also like to hear from you directly with your thoughts on this. I welcome any friends who would take me under their wings to help us, we appreciate anything you give us.

oh and I saw something about me needing to meet poverty level guidelines (or something of that nature) where can I find out if I meet that requirement? I need to make enough money!!!!!!!?????!!!!!! Is there anything else that important that we should know about? What are some of your shoockers?

thanks you all, I am thankful to know there are others here, what a blessing!!!!

Welcome you found the best website over the net.

Your answer are in the guides, they are your best friend.

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Welcome to VJ :)

There is so much information here that will help to guide in your process and the best part is that you're not alone because there are many wonderful people here to also advice you the best they can and to answer any questions you have.

Yes, the K-1 seem to be the fastest way to go, but alot has to do with which Service Center you file your case.

Either way you go I want to welcome you again and wish you Good Luck on your visa journey :star:

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Best advice is just to read read read the guides. But don't freak out too much! Once you get the terminology and abbreviations down (which I still totally haven't, but doing it phase by phase) it's a lot easier and totally doable. Don't worry about paranoid things that people start worrying about like: getting denied (hardly ever happens), them being more suspicious of you because you met on the internet/haven't been together long/are older/are younger, whatever your situation is etc. They don't care about all that stuff. You're just gonna be a file to them for a good while :P

Most likely you're okay with the amount of money you make I'm gonna dare to say, because it sounds like you're older (unless your fiance is a good bit older than you?). You have to make 125% over the poverty level...Again, read the guides. And go to uscis.gov if you haven't already to read the filing instructions they have there. But this website is a lot easier to understand and you can completely trust it, so far in my experience; it knows its stuff.

So yeh, 125% over poverty level...last I heard the level is like...$12k or something, I don't know. The formula changes a bit if you have other dependents; you can also use your assets to show you can support your fiance, or get a co-sponsor.

More general advice which isn't really my business but yeh...I advise you to relax and enjoy your relationship now, and slow down a bit. This is a LONG process. It'll take 6 months to a year for him to get here and you guys haven't even met in person yet. Try not to start freaking out about the details of all this and focus more on making sure you're right for each other, developing your relationship, etc. You have to know you have the commitment and certainty to get through it. There's a lot of paperwork and time and money put into it and then once he's here in the US you have a billion more hoops to jump over the next 2 years, especially. So just try not to be in a big hurry if your relationship is just now blossoming I'd say. Focus more on making sure you can keep seeing each other and visiting and things :)

Hmm...last advice. If/when you do start all the filing, DON'T get a lawyer. It's unnecessary and a big waste of money, and it seems like people are usually more stressed out with having a lawyer (because they usually screw everything up) than just doing it on their own. Seriously, I've yet to see someone say "Hey I got a lawyer and totally don't regret it."

Good luck to you guys whenever you start! :thumbs: And congratulations on your relationship, and I hope you have a great time together when you meet :)

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Welcome to VJ :)

I second the good advice to read the guides on this website a couple of times, it's amazing what you miss the first time or two.

You're in a good postition that you've found this website now, before you meet. my thoughts to you is to document your meeting every way you can. Ticket stubs, photo' s etc. that will help you later.

Otherwise, I think snowytater is right - this is a long process, so be careful about which path you choose, make sure it's the right one for you guys, try not to get too hyped up about filing, cos that can turn in to complete frustration when nothing happens for a long time after that.

Oh, and, Good Luck :thumbs:

The UK Wiki

Here's the info on poverty guidelines. You will need to make 125% of the amount that fits your situation

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/threshld.html

They gave me the original police certificate back, but you'll need to get a new one by the time it comes to be interviewed for the K1 visa (as they only last 6 months)

And as said before, keep everything that proves you've met. The Best things are plane tickets, boarding cards, hotel receipts, credit card receipts...

Get photographs taken together too.

These aren't necessary now, but also keep phone bills, emails, letters (including envelopes for post marks) chat logs etc to prove your ongoing relationship. This'll be needed at a later date.

But the best advice has already been given...

More general advice which isn't really my business but yeh...I advise you to relax and enjoy your relationship now, and slow down a bit. This is a LONG process. It'll take 6 months to a year for him to get here and you guys haven't even met in person yet. Try not to start freaking out about the details of all this and focus more on making sure you're right for each other, developing your relationship, etc. You have to know you have the commitment and certainty to get through it. There's a lot of paperwork and time and money put into it and then once he's here in the US you have a billion more hoops to jump over the next 2 years, especially. So just try not to be in a big hurry if your relationship is just now blossoming I'd say. Focus more on making sure you can keep seeing each other and visiting and things

Real love stories never have endings...

Timeline

Thx all!!!!!

Yes, I'll continue to read the guides, guess the termonology takes time. and thx Mark&Steph, that link was what i was looking for!!!!

I appreciate all the advice & will use it! It's good to know you all are here, goodluck in your journeys.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Welcome to VJ Roberts,

You have found one of the best resources for answers about the many visa routes so don't ever worry that a question is too silly. The chances are that it's been asked a million times before and there will be many people able to answer it for you.

You'll get the hang of the terminology soon and once you understand the steps involved in applying for the visa (whichever one you choose), unless you have a complicated case, it's pretty straightforward.

Whereabouts in the UK are you from and where in the US do you plan to settle.

Best of luck with everything.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Timeline
Welcome to VJ Roberts,

You have found one of the best resources for answers about the many visa routes so don't ever worry that a question is too silly. The chances are that it's been asked a million times before and there will be many people able to answer it for you.

You'll get the hang of the terminology soon and once you understand the steps involved in applying for the visa (whichever one you choose), unless you have a complicated case, it's pretty straightforward.

Whereabouts in the UK are you from and where in the US do you plan to settle.

Best of luck with everything.

Mark :)

Thx Mark, I appreciate your encouragement. My fiance (Nigel) is from Plymouth UK, I'm Denise, I live in Texas, where we will live. I wouldn't think our case would be complicated, but I didn't think there was anything to a 20+ year old traffic violation either...so we'll see...

When I get more time, I will check out you & Debs site better.

thx again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Don't worry about the traffic violation it isn't going to effect the outcome, might be as you have found out a complication and require a bit of extra work, but if they gave people hassle over every traffic offence they would need more staff.

If you get married and apply for a spouse visa I believe overall it works out to be less expensive as you do not have the cost of adjusting status once in the USA. Not sure at the moment time wise one is quicker than the other.

The police certificate does say on it valid for 6 months, but the US London Embassy web site says the Embassy accepts them as being valid for 12 months.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Welcome to VJ!

I would only add that no one here should be advising members NOT to get an attorney. Everyone is different.. everyone's ability/capability is different, and everyone's journey is different. While this process is quite possible without formal legal assistance, there are some circumstances which warrant that sort of help and no one here can judge that.

If you find yourself needing one, do your research and find one who has a proven track record.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Welcome!!

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.