Fettman

Best Value Way to Call Russia?

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It all depends on how much you talk and how long is your average conversation.

CrazyUSA is the cheapest at $0.028 if you plan on talking for 179 minutes straight, otherwise the 30% tax per call is too high.

We used to use BossUSA at $0.04 a minute to anywhere in Russia.

Both cards are from http://www.uniontelecard.com/destinations/7/russia/

Now we use VOIPCHEAP, which for 10.50 Euro ($15) gets you 300 free minutes per week for 90 days and then the money is subtracted at 0.024€ a minute. So if you do the math 416 Minutes + 300(12) = $15/4000 minutes for 3 months or roughly 1/3 a penny per minute. Best deal in my opinion. But requires you to use a microphone but you can dial to a land line so your Russian counter parts don't have to pay for outrageous bandwidth costs or if calling places where high speed internet is not available.

http://www.voipcheap.com/en/rates.html

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
It all depends on how much you talk and how long is your average conversation.

CrazyUSA is the cheapest at $0.028 if you plan on talking for 179 minutes straight, otherwise the 30% tax per call is too high.

We used to use BossUSA at $0.04 a minute to anywhere in Russia.

Both cards are from http://www.uniontelecard.com/destinations/7/russia/

Now we use VOIPCHEAP, which for 10.50 Euro ($15) gets you 300 free minutes per week for 90 days and then the money is subtracted at 0.024€ a minute. So if you do the math 416 Minutes + 300(12) = $15/4000 minutes for 3 months or roughly 1/3 a penny per minute. Best deal in my opinion. But requires you to use a microphone but you can dial to a land line so your Russian counter parts don't have to pay for outrageous bandwidth costs or if calling places where high speed internet is not available.

http://www.voipcheap.com/en/rates.html

Internetcalls is a better deal as you get 120 days of 300 free minutes per week before they start charging you.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Timeline
I've been using discall.com and have been pretty satisfied with them. Most of the time, the connection is good. There are occasional disconnects, and there is no call history available. When all fees are taken into account, it's about $0.05/min for me to call Tomsk. I've got pinless dialing from my home phone and cell phone (cost is the same for either). Cost varies depending on the city, and a call to a mobile phone is always at least a little higher. I use the Discall EZ Dial card. You can set up your account for auto recharge if you want.

http://www.discall.com/cards/

I use a system that is similar to discall.com called Dialbug (www.dialbug.com). The rates are 0.055 per minute to cell phone in Sochi or anywhere in Russia. Moscow, however, is cheaper at 0.029/min.

I have been using it for 6 months now and it works consistantly and well. As with discall, it has pinless dialing from the phone of your choice and has auto-recharge or manual pay.

It does have accessible phone records, which I used as one of my proofs of ongoing relationship.

Edited by irish44

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The plan I have now is 1.8 cents a minute for Moscow, which is where she lives. I am not around a computer enough to use a VoIP service at the times I make my calls. So, I feel I am getting a decent deal. No connection fees, just a flat sum of minutes a month at a flat rate. If I go over it is 2.5 cents a minute after that. Thanks for all the input all!

- Steven

I've been using discall.com and have been pretty satisfied with them. Most of the time, the connection is good. There are occasional disconnects, and there is no call history available. When all fees are taken into account, it's about $0.05/min for me to call Tomsk. I've got pinless dialing from my home phone and cell phone (cost is the same for either). Cost varies depending on the city, and a call to a mobile phone is always at least a little higher. I use the Discall EZ Dial card. You can set up your account for auto recharge if you want.

http://www.discall.com/cards/

I use a system that is similar to discall.com called Dialbug (www.dialbug.com). The rates are 0.055 per minute to cell phone in Sochi or anywhere in Russia. Moscow, however, is cheaper at 0.029/min.

I have been using it for 6 months now and it works consistantly and well. As with discall, it has pinless dialing from the phone of your choice and has auto-recharge or manual pay.

It does have accessible phone records, which I used as one of my proofs of ongoing relationship.

"He who does not take risks, does not drink the champagne" - Russian Proverb

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married
2/7/11 - Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm surprised noone has mentioned this:

I call thru www.voipstunt.com PC to phone or phone to phone.

You put $15.00 on the account and you receive 300 minutes of free calls a week to Russia.

If you don't use your balance of 15.00 you can call russia for the next 120 days every week for 300 minutes charge free. (Every week you receive 300 free minutes)

If you use phone to phone there is 0.05c fee for connection and no per minute charge.

Can anyone beat that plan?

I'm surprised noone has mentioned this:

I call thru www.voipstunt.com PC to phone or phone to phone.

You put $15.00 on the account and you receive 300 minutes of free calls a week to Russia.

If you don't use your balance of 15.00 you can call russia for the next 120 days every week for 300 minutes charge free. (Every week you receive 300 free minutes)

If you use phone to phone there is 0.05c fee for connection and no per minute charge.

Can anyone beat that plan?

I looked at VOIPStunt a few months ago, but the Wikipedia entry scared me away. Especially this part:

The company has been accused of fraudulent activity on several websites. Hundreds of clients have had their accounts blocked with the code ERROR 33 and their deposited funds confiscated for no apparent reason.[3] Betamax has not made any attempt to respond to customer enquiries or explained what Error 33 is, why it has occurred or how to fix and prevent it from occurring again.

Has anyone mentioned Skype? It's free talking computer to computer and I heard it's reasonable when calling computer to phone but I have not tried that service.

Skype has been mentioned, but the OP wanted to avoid computer-based services.

I use Skype (but not to Russia), even have a Skype phone, but my experience is that the connections can be lossy. One call can be okay, the next call is terrible. I've never had a "great" connection via Skype. Also, for whatever reason, my calling card refuses to work with Skype. Whenever I dial the toll-free number, it rings busy. Yet I can get through fine on a land line or my mobile. But for $36/year (to get a dedicated phone number), it's still a helluva deal compared to what a land line would cost me.

Timeline
What services are people here using and which ones have good quality? I am looking for something inexpensive, but at the same time I am trying to find a service that has pretty good voice quality. It can be calling cards or an internet service, but I would prefer something that I can use over the phone. I call her at work due to the time difference and the web filter interferes with Skype and other services. So, any practical advise will be great and I am not looking for the cheapest one, but something that will give me good quality at a reasonable rate. Thanks!

- Steven

http://www.trycards.com/ These are SUPER CHEAP international calling cards. They worked great for me.

9/5/2004 met

7/4/2006 visited for 1 week in Russia (Independence Day!)

12/26/06 three week visit in the U.S.

4/6/07 He came to US for 6 glorious weeks

5/20/07 He returned to Ufa, RU

5/24/07 Mailed I-129F to NSC!!!!!

5/25/07 Received and signed for by F Heinauer, NSC

6/11/07 NOA1 (NEVER received hard copy)

8/23/07 Ramzis comes to America for another visit

10/02/07 Ramzis returns to Russia

11/06/07 NOA2 at LAST!!!

12/17/07 Received at NVC (at last!)

12/18/07 Sent to Moscow Embassy & New NVC Case Number

12/21/07 Received at 11:08 a.m. Moscow Embassy

1/25/08 Received packet from Embassy

03/07/08 Interview 8:00 a.m. Moscow Embassy! VISA APPROVED!!!

03/13/08 Visa in Hand

03/14/08 Flying to U.S. - Detroit POE

03/15/08 Our Wedding Day!

AOS Timeline

3/21/08 - Packet sent to Chicago Lockbox

3/24/08 - Packet received and signed for

3/28/08 - NOA1 received in the mail - EAD & AOS - check cashed

4/15/08 - Biometrics

5/5/08 - AOS interview notice received in the mail (will be in Detroit, June 12, 2008)

6/2/08 - EAD card ordered (CRIS email)

6/5/08 - EAD RECEIVED IN THE MAIL

6/12/08 - Permanent Resident APPROVAL! Green Card on the Way!

6/23/08 - Green Card Received!!!

Timeline

I'll second that. I use Skype for my official home number and my mobile for those I care about! I see zero need to have old 20th century home phone service anymore.

As for the thread, I use a calling card and my mobile. I pay around 4.5¢ a minute and the connection is always clear. I shop around to find calling cards with permanent pins and no monthly service fees.

Has anyone mentioned Skype? It's free talking computer to computer and I heard it's reasonable when calling computer to phone but I have not tried that service.

Skype has been mentioned, but the OP wanted to avoid computer-based services.

I use Skype (but not to Russia), even have a Skype phone, but my experience is that the connections can be lossy. One call can be okay, the next call is terrible. I've never had a "great" connection via Skype. Also, for whatever reason, my calling card refuses to work with Skype. Whenever I dial the toll-free number, it rings busy. Yet I can get through fine on a land line or my mobile. But for $36/year (to get a dedicated phone number), it's still a helluva deal compared to what a land line would cost me.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I know Skype is out for this OP, but for others who will find this thread, I wanted to throw in my Skype 2 cents also...

During my last visit, I bought my Ira a laptop and web cam. So now we can instant message each other every day, and we regularly use it to talk to each other, both audio and video. And it's completely free! Because of the language barrier, if a topic becomes too complex, we can even video conference with our Interpreter, and she lives in yet a another city in Ukraine! When Ira's visa is finally approved and she moves to the US, she will leave the laptop behind for her parents. This way she will use Skype to video conference often with her parents, and it will never cost me a dime! Hard to beat that!

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

Timeline

Peanuts LD from LDpost is decent & cheap!

RUSSIA 5¢

RUSSIA, MOSCOW 1.5¢

RUSSIA, ST. PETERSBURG 1.5¢

RUSSIA, MOBILE 7.3¢

• No-PIN dialing
  • No need to switch your current long distance carrier
  • No expiration period
  • No Maintenance fees
  • No Connection fees
  • 1 min rounding
  • Speed dial feature
  • Auto recharge option
  • Live Customer Service support
  • Local access numbers in most states and Canada
  • Local Access Number in a Variety Of Countries
Edited by dmhweb
725268776.png

Timeline
http://www.trycards.com/ These are SUPER CHEAP international calling cards. They worked great for me.
I looked at the terms of all thees cards, and they are hard to swallow:

Example:

· Connection Fee - 18 cents (for calls over 1 min.)

· Maintenance Fee - 88 c/weekly

· Service Taxes & Surcharges - 28%

I can live with all but the last one. Pretty much you lose 1/3 of your card value after making even a 1 minute call.

http://www.trycards.com/p/info.php/123 - Cheapest card to Russia.

And it's completely free!
How so? Most Russians do not have access to FREE flat rate broadband internet. When I was lat there it was $20 for 1 gigabyte. That can go by really fast when you are sending audio and video through skype. Edited by Satellite

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
How so? Most Russians do not have access to FREE flat rate broadband internet. When I was lat there it was $20 for 1 gigabyte. That can go by really fast when you are sending audio and video through skype.

In moscow and st. Petersburg the tariffs are much better, i think. My guy downloads like 4 movies a day. He pays 30 dollars a month for unlimited bandwidth.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Hell, that's better than what most of us are paying.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.