nu7015

Raising Children - Differences Between MENA and here in the US

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know that couples that marry within their own culture can clash on how to raise children and I know that step-families can be another challenge too. My situation is I have a 9 year old daughter from a previous marriage and my husband does not have any children. My husband has been here over a year and it has sometimes been difficult because we have differing views on how to raise children.

My husband is from Morocco and I've spent a total of 3 months there with his family and 10 brothers and sisters and his 20 nieces and nephews. My husband definitely has been around children that is for sure. And all the nieces and nephews adore him.

Some things I observed from watching his family with children that is somewhat different here in the US:

1) There are usally a lot of other children around so they can play together

2) The older kids tend to take care of the younger ones

3) The moms don't work outside the home but usually busy with cleaning/cooking/socializing with other women

From what I've seen in the short time I've been there, it doesn't seem that there is a lot of one on one with the kids or that the kids have a lot of interaction with the parents. Or maybe it's just my husband's family.

My husband feels that I am too involved with my daughter and that she needs to do more things by herself. That just feels foreign to me and it's caused a lot of tension.

Anyone else have these same thoughts/feelings/observations? Or please just share your experiences, PLEASE?!!

"True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment. This inner alignment with Now is the end of suffering. Is suffering really necessary? Yes and no. If you had not suffered as you have, there would be no depth to you as a human being, no humility, no compassion. You would not be reading this now. Suffering cracks open the shell of ego, and then comes a point when it has served its purpose. Suffering is necessary until you realize it is unnecessary." Eckhart Tolle

usmorocco-1.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Yes they are a lot stricter than the states, but they do interact more. The children in Egypt are way more mature than American children or even Kuwait. I have one daughter and my husband has 4, and our children are nothing like the children in Egypt. My husband when he was young was told to do something and he did it, but our kids grew up with TV, computers and video games, everything is easy. Visiting your fathers homeland is not even close to living in the country and struggling to make it.

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is just my opinion, of course, but I believe that if you have a child from a previous marriage, then *you* have the final say on how to raise her. If you have children together, then you two can talk about how to balance the differing views on child rearing.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I know that couples that marry within their own culture can clash on how to raise children and I know that step-families can be another challenge too. My situation is I have a 9 year old daughter from a previous marriage and my husband does not have any children. My husband has been here over a year and it has sometimes been difficult because we have differing views on how to raise children.

My husband is from Morocco and I've spent a total of 3 months there with his family and 10 brothers and sisters and his 20 nieces and nephews. My husband definitely has been around children that is for sure. And all the nieces and nephews adore him.

Some things I observed from watching his family with children that is somewhat different here in the US:

1) There are usally a lot of other children around so they can play together

2) The older kids tend to take care of the younger ones

3) The moms don't work outside the home but usually busy with cleaning/cooking/socializing with other women

From what I've seen in the short time I've been there, it doesn't seem that there is a lot of one on one with the kids or that the kids have a lot of interaction with the parents. Or maybe it's just my husband's family.

My husband feels that I am too involved with my daughter and that she needs to do more things by herself. That just feels foreign to me and it's caused a lot of tension.

Anyone else have these same thoughts/feelings/observations? Or please just share your experiences, PLEASE?!!

Sounds like a conversation my husband and I had earlier this week.... :lol:

And he feels like if I/we tell my 9 yr old son to do something, he should do it automatoically, which would be nice I admit, but just not likely. Lord knows it took my parents a couple of times before I did anything...so in this case...like mother like son! :lol:

Mary K.

ETA: My son also doesn't have any children either

Edited by maryandatif

Mary (NC) Atif (Youssoufia)

NOA2 for 129F on 16 Nov 2005......NOA2 for I-130 on 28 Nov 2005

INTERVIEW DATE SCHEDULED FOR 9AM[GMT] 27 FEBRUARY 2006-Issued 221g for Validity of relationship....told being sent back to USCIS/Atif Received Visa On 10 March 2006

AOS/EAD

10 July 2006--signed I-485 and I-765

25 July 2006 recieved NOA-1 for both

18 Aug 2006 Biometrics Appt.

21 Oct 2006 EAD arrives in mail

26 Dec 2006 received aapt.->01 Feb 2007 AOS interview->CANCELLED! rescheduled 01 Aug 2007-waiting

09 Feb '07-received denial of AOS--#######??!! MTR filed--Interview-01 Aug 07

27 Sept '07-I-765 [#2] filed--14 Nov '07 Biomerics for I-765 [#2]

Take it from me....GO TO THE AOS INTERVIEW DATE ANYWAY!!!!! EVEN IF YOU GET THE SNAIL MAIL NOTICE!!!

August 2009--Permanent Resident Card arrives!!!!

We are Finished with Immigration for 10 years!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband agrees that he is not to involve himself in terms of parental advice with my two daughters unless there is something really really bugging him. Then he can talk to me about it and we can discuss with my ex what to do.

As far as future children, we have discussed a few rules. Rule number uno = no hitting EVER. That was a biggie since they don't seem to have the same "time out" philosophy that we have here. Rule number dos = no dating. period. That one will be interesting. lol

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
ETA: My son also doesn't have any children either

Good thing since he's only 9! :P

:lol::lol:

"True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment. This inner alignment with Now is the end of suffering. Is suffering really necessary? Yes and no. If you had not suffered as you have, there would be no depth to you as a human being, no humility, no compassion. You would not be reading this now. Suffering cracks open the shell of ego, and then comes a point when it has served its purpose. Suffering is necessary until you realize it is unnecessary." Eckhart Tolle

usmorocco-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Rule number dos = no dating. period. That one will be interesting. lol

Ha!

My fiance always says that if one day, we have a daughter, he doesn't want her to date.

i figure that's a bridge we'll cross if we come to it.

:D

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Timeline

My ex is from MENA so they've been exposed to the culture both here and in their father's home country. I always appreciate it for about a month after they've returned from Yemen because they are so well behaved, lol. For the most part they are "all American" kids with some MENA/Muslim values. My ex would prefer if the boys not date (when they come of age) but honestly I wouldn't mind them dating if they stuck to certain rules.

My current husband mostly stays out of the disciplining of the boys unless he feels a man should step in. From an early age my sons have responded to men better than women when it comes to discipline. He'll sit them down and discuss with them why they shouldn't be acting a certain way and that they must respect their mother. A couple times he has sent the boys to their rooms. He's very calm though. I have found that over time the boys have grown to respect him and have gotten closer to him because of this. I feel it shows them that he cares and wants what is best for them. My husband is very serious about parental respect esp. respect of the mother. We haven't really gone into too much about raising future children though since we both have similar values. Any future children will most likely be raised just like their older brothers.

Edited by moody

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We have had a similar discussion. Lets just say I made it clear that I have raised 4 kids, he has raised none. I don't care if he has been around kids alot, I don't care if they adore him, he hasn't been a parent and doesn't understand. Another point is that if he interferes it can cause problems with him and his relationship with her. He isn't her parent, and she will be quick to point that out if she hasn't already. Tell him it is better if she gets mad at you rather than him if he argues it.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

moody has dating come up yet? About half the kids in the 6th grade are already dating and I found out the MAJORITY of the 8th graders are having sex!!! :blink::blink:

I actually brought my girls about a month ago and bought them each a "purity ring". I sat them down and told them that it is a symbol of a promise to both God and to me that they will keep themselves pure until they are married. I don't know if it will work but kind of funny my youngest left hers here last weekend so when they came home my oldest was all up in her face about "WHY did you take it off????" :lol::lol: (not that i'm worried...she's 10 and she never bothers to match her socks, or her pants to her shirt for that matter and still thinks boys are 'digusting' creatures.)

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
My husband agrees that he is not to involve himself in terms of parental advice with my two daughters unless there is something really really bugging him. Then he can talk to me about it and we can discuss with my ex what to do.

As far as future children, we have discussed a few rules. Rule number uno = no hitting EVER. That was a biggie since they don't seem to have the same "time out" philosophy that we have here. Rule number dos = no dating. period. That one will be interesting. lol

Yes - thank goodness we both agree on the no hitting too!

In the muslim culture, what are some generalizations/facts on the role of the father (or even step-father)? One thing I found odd was that my husband doesn't bother saying goodnight to my daughter and he says that fathers don't do that in Morocco. That was strange to me...

usmorocco-1.jpg

One thing about children raised either in MENA or by a MENA parent is that they are so used to numerous ppl disciplining them....mom, dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. My children wouldn't never think of telling my husband that he isn't their father so he has no right to discipline them. They may think it but they know better than to say it.

He isn't her parent, and she will be quick to point that out if she hasn't already.

My older son "liked" a girl last year but no, actual dating hasn't come up yet. We have discussed sex though. That was fun, lol. My sons know about sex and dating and all that fun stuff but they don't seem ready for it all yet. Thank God!

moody has dating come up yet? About half the kids in the 6th grade are already dating and I found out the MAJORITY of the 8th graders are having sex!!! :blink::blink:

I actually brought my girls about a month ago and bought them each a "purity ring". I sat them down and told them that it is a symbol of a promise to both God and to me that they will keep themselves pure until they are married. I don't know if it will work but kind of funny my youngest left hers here last weekend so when they came home my oldest was all up in her face about "WHY did you take it off????" :lol::lol: (not that i'm worried...she's 10 and she never bothers to match her socks, or her pants to her shirt for that matter and still thinks boys are 'digusting' creatures.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.