kd4uvc

Medical Question

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
My fiancee's daughter has leukemia. She has went through chemo and is considered in remission. She takes a maintenance med to help her. What are the chances she will be denied a visa?

I'm pretty sure that they only deny for infectious diseases. I think that if you have an affadavit of support for her, they would consider you being financially responsible for her medical treatments so it wouldn't be a concern at all.

Первый блин комом.

Also contact your insurance company(unless self insured) and see what they say about preexisting conditions. I would hate to see a relapse and then the ensuing insurance argument.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Filed: Timeline
Also contact your insurance company(unless self insured) and see what they say about preexisting conditions. I would hate to see a relapse and then the ensuing insurance argument.

Very good advice. I have nothing to add to it, but just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum and the best of luck to you.

The folks here are wonderful and you'll get more help and advice than you can believe!

I'll jump right on Irish's band wagon and say welcome and good advice from Thomas up above.

There was a thread a while back (in the Russia forum somewhere) about which medical conditions could be grounds for denial. A search through the old topics should yield you some good info.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

The only thing I've seen is a reference to someone being asked about medical conditons in the interview. Apparently the consular officer felt it was necessary to tell the applicant that pre-existing conditions will not be allowed by insurance companies or welfare benefit claimants. All the applicant wanted to know is if her prior illness would disqualify her. That consular officer must be some piece of work.

Also, welcome to VJ. You now have a lot of new friends that have and are going through what you are.

Best of luck!

Timeline
The only thing I've seen is a reference to someone being asked about medical conditons in the interview. Apparently the consular officer felt it was necessary to tell the applicant that pre-existing conditions will not be allowed by insurance companies or welfare benefit claimants. All the applicant wanted to know is if her prior illness would disqualify her. That consular officer must be some piece of work.

Also, welcome to VJ. You now have a lot of new friends that have and are going through what you are.

Best of luck!

my mom has MS and found a private insurer who would cover her. it's possible.

anyway if the US government was denying admission to childhood cancer survivors i think there'd be a pretty big stink about it.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the welcome!! If I can get her here, the insurance will probably not be a problem. My insurance covers for pre-existing of new family members. It's the problem of getting her here that I am worried about. I am dealing with the US Government. The same government which was rated as a business with a rating of 11% efficiency. I worked for them in the military and as a civilian (while in college). In 1990, the DoD started their RIF because the government decided they were perfect and could solve any counties problems. They could not trust their own Civilian Personnel Service to handle the paperwork so they used part time college students to do this. We would not give out the name of the person/s being RIFed. Many were in the CPS. RIF means reduction in force. Unfortunately, the one's who needed to get the axe were the one's who stayed. The hard workers lost their jobs. It was better in the long run because they could find good jobs in the civilian market.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
My fiancee's daughter has leukemia. She has went through chemo and is considered in remission. She takes a maintenance med to help her. What are the chances she will be denied a visa?
Based on the following information below, she should not be denied on health reasons alone.

If health problems include any of the following she will be deneid a visa:

The following communicable diseases render a person inadmissible:

1. chancroid

2. gonorrhea

3. granuloma inguinale

4. acquired immune deficiency syndrome (HIV/AIDS)

5. Hansen’’s disease (infectious leprosy)

6. lymphogranuloma venereum

7. infectious state syphilis

8. infectious tuberculosis (TB) (clinically active)

Physical or mental disorders which render one inadmissible include the following:

1. Current physical or mental disorders, with harmful behavior associated with the disorder.

2. Past physical or mental disorders with associated harmful behavior that is likely to recur or lead to other harmful behavior.

Harmful behavior is behavior that may pose, or has posed, a threat to the property, safety or welfare of the applicant or others. A person who mentally retarded is no longer inadmissible unless there is a determination that the applicant is exhibiting or has exhibited in the past, associated harmful behavior.

According to the Secretary of Health and Human Services, alcohol abuse or dependence resulting in alcohol impaired driving may serve as a basis for determining whether an immigrant has a mental disorder associated with harmful behavior. Section 212(a)(1)(A)(iii) of the Immigration and Nationality Act discusses the inadmissibility in cases where an applicant for an immigration benefit has a significant record of alcoholrelated driving incidents.

Drug Abuse or Addiction

Drug abuse or addiction applies to the nonmedical use of a psychoactive substance that is part of a pattern of abuse. There is an exception for experimentation. Clinical judgment is used to determine abuse or experimentation when the applicant’’s medical records indicate past nonmedical use of a psychoactive substance.

Lastly:

When a person is found to be inadmissible for health reasons, it does not definitively prevent the person from being issued a visa or entering the United States. A physical or mental condition can be corrected or one can prove that they do not fall into the categories. Waivers are also available for most of the medical grounds of inadmissibility.

For original source see:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/practiceareas/im...pdfs/web475.pdf

My insurance covers for pre-existing of new family members.
Also ask about their policy concerning new family members who have not been "insured" in the past, as far as American insurance is concerned since that is all they care about.

Timeline
Thanks for the welcome!! If I can get her here, the insurance will probably not be a problem. My insurance covers for pre-existing of new family members. It's the problem of getting her here that I am worried about. I am dealing with the US Government. The same government which was rated as a business with a rating of 11% efficiency. I worked for them in the military and as a civilian (while in college). In 1990, the DoD started their RIF because the government decided they were perfect and could solve any counties problems. They could not trust their own Civilian Personnel Service to handle the paperwork so they used part time college students to do this. We would not give out the name of the person/s being RIFed. Many were in the CPS. RIF means reduction in force. Unfortunately, the one's who needed to get the axe were the one's who stayed. The hard workers lost their jobs. It was better in the long run because they could find good jobs in the civilian market.

I don't think it will cover her forever.... Your adult children will only be covered if they are a full-time student. I've never heard of an insurance company which covered adult, non-student children.

About the TB--it's really only been found in certain places, like Russian prisons and Tomsk. So chances are you're fine.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I don't think it will cover her forever.... Your adult children will only be covered if they are a full-time student. I've never heard of an insurance company which covered adult, non-student children.
Even when you are a full time student it is not forever. Most policies cut off anywhere between age 23 to 25 regardless of how "full time" you are. Experience here. But there are a few exceptions for adult children, I think some policies do cover "depended adults" pretty much forever, for example a down syndrome child, etc.

Shouldn't be any problems with the visa.

Don't necessarily like the U.S. Government????

Well, you're not going to lose any friends around here!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.