Heartland

Jobs in Michigan

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

Ok for all the MENA couples in Michigan. How easy was it for your hubby to get his first job. My husband is an Engineer, Civil. He is willing to do anything.. travel anywhere.. however not even a call on a job. Is it who you know anymore?????

Filed: Timeline

Prior to my husband's EAD approval we put together a resume for him and sent it out to several potential employers (my husband holds a degree in computer engineering). No one wanted to give him a chance because he had no prior work experience in the US. No one...not even Target or the local grocery store. Right after he received his EAD he met a couple guys from the mosque who knew other guys who owned a gas station about 30 mins from home. That lasted a week because the owner of the gas station was such a shyster. At the end of that week he met another guy who owned a gas station a mile from home. He's been working full time as a manager there since mid October.

To answer your question...sometimes I guess it is who you know even if that's a job at a gas station. Michigan economy is such ####### anymore that it is pretty difficult to find work even if you hold a degree. Has your husband done any networking at the local mosque or church? Where in Michigan do you live, if you don't mind?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We live in West Michigan...My husband got a job right away after receiving his EAD at the restaurant where I hold my second job...sadly its not about what you know its about who you know....and like Moody said the economy is sooo bad right now here that the jobs ie.. good paying jobs are few and far between...

MET ONLINE- JUNE 21, 2005

WENT TO VISIT YASSINE IN MOROCCO- APRIL 15, 2006

SENT IN I129F TO CSC- NOVEMBER 2, 2006

RECIEVED NOA1- NOVEMBER 15, 2006

CHECK CLEARED- NOVEMBER 20, 2006

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

NVC RECIEVED CASE-FEBRAURY 16, 2007

NVC SENT CASE TO CASA-FEBRAURAY 21, 2007

CASA RECEIVED-FEBRAURAY 26, 2007

PACKET 3 RECEIVED-MARCH 5, 2007

INTERVIEW DATE-APRIL 4, 2007

VISA RECEIVED- APRIL 12, 2007 WOO HOO!!!!

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

FILED AOS & EAD- JULY 24, 2007

EAD CARD RECEIVED-OCTOBER 3, 2007

GREENCARD INTERVIEW-DECEMBER 13, 2007

GREENCARD RECEIVED AFTER BEING LOST IN THE MAIL SENT BACK TO SERVICE CENTER AND REMAILED OUT AFTER SEVERAL PHONECALLS-JANUARY 25, 2008

FILING TO REMOVE CONDITIONS-SEPTEMBER 2009!

4621839_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I am glad your husband found a job. We are willing to move where-ever to have him work as an engineer.

We're going through the same thing! If you check out monster.com and careerbuilder.com there are LOADS of engineer jobs all around the country if you are willing to relocate. my husband does not want to relocate so we've been trying for engineer positions in southern california but he hasn't had any calls back yet. :( I keep telling him we need to expand his search to other cities............. good luck! I think being foreign, combined with little work experience, and a foreign degree have made a bad cocktail of no calls!

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Timeline

The only call we got from Monster re: engineering jobs was a lady who wanted to send my husband to Iraq to be a linguist. Yeah, no thanks.

I am glad your husband found a job. We are willing to move where-ever to have him work as an engineer.

We're going through the same thing! If you check out monster.com and careerbuilder.com there are LOADS of engineer jobs all around the country if you are willing to relocate. my husband does not want to relocate so we've been trying for engineer positions in southern california but he hasn't had any calls back yet. :( I keep telling him we need to expand his search to other cities............. good luck! I think being foreign, combined with little work experience, and a foreign degree have made a bad cocktail of no calls!

If your husband is seeking a job as an engineer its going to be very tough if he didn't have any schooling in the US. He should really look into getting a Master's degree and that will make all the difference.

Also recruiters are the best place to start not job boards. They want to get paid which means they have to find you a job. I would suggest trying companies in Northern California as well, it's a very diverse area and comapnies don't tend to shy away from foreigners.

Edited by ♥JP♥

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi. he should look at city websites. he needs to do some networking. Maybe take a job at an arabic owned engineering firm. Take a drive down to Dearborn. ACCESS might be able to help him. Also ACC in Southfield. Also many places offer educational reimbursement as part of the benefits to employees.

"Haters are confused admirers, they can’t be or figure you out so negativity comes out [their] mouth.”

-Chad Ochocinco "85" - WR Cincinnati Bengals

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Anywhere you say? http://www.dice.com - best bet for highly skilled jobs.

Go for it.

I searched for "civil engineer" and got 581 matches.

Oh, and this one listing here: Honolulu, HI

:)

Edited by KyanWan

The moral of my story: Stick with someone who matches your own culture.

( This coming from an Arab who married an Arab from overseas... go figure. )

times are rough here in Michigan, i wish something good happens soon.

Oh wow, you guys are just reinforcing what my Dad has been saying for some time... I grew up in the Detroit area, but have not lived there since 1993, and now that I am coming back to the US with my husband, we wanted to be close to family to start off, but it sounds rather hopeless! :crying:

My husband has been working for Microsoft for the last 3 years and before that has 3 years of experience with HP and other MNC's. Any opinions on whether or not that will help in his job hunt? Is it really really that bad in the Detroit area?? A ray of hope, anyone? :help:

Met at work Sept. 2005

Started dating Nov. 2005

Got engaged Oct. 2007

Married January 5, 2008

Submitted I-130 in Delhi February 6, 2008 NOA1

Sent DS 230, DS 2001 to Chennai via courier Feb. 21, 2008

Received Case number from Chennai Consulate Feb. 22, 2008 (Postmarked Feb. 13)

Received Email Confirmation of Interview Date on March 5th: April 3rd!

SUCCESS - VISA APPROVED ON APRIL 3RD!! :) :)

POE Detroit - May 19, 2008

Applied for SSN: June 5th - Received Card: June 12th

Received Green Gard: June 12th

Driver's License: July 28th

Move to St. Louis/Ritesh starts his job: August 5th

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.