pad270408

K1 Visa on hold as Texas does not allow first cousin marriage. What to do?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
We live in Michigan, but were married in Ohio.

It didn't effect our process.

Peace,

MarkNAam

But are you first cousins????? that is the problem for the OP the sate he want to live in does not allow marriage between fist cousins.... so even if he got married in a state where it is allowed, his marriage would not be recognized in the state where he want to live.....

Kez

Yes, it would. There's a pesky little federal law requiring States to recognize the marriages legalized in any other State. That law is the whole basis for the movements in many States to pass State Constitutional amendments defining marriage as between one man and one woman.

Texas won't grant a license to first cousins to marry but will recognize their marriage if registered in a State where it was legal.

Just imagine for instance my second wife's sister who married their first cousin. They've been married now for over 20 years. If one of them decided to take a job and move to a State that wouldn't have licensed their marriage initially, are they all of a sudden not married?

Actually, they did that long ago, so the answer is "Married is married."

Now, as for the visa question, the rules state the couple must be legally free to marry in the location the marriage is to take place, not the place they will reside. I think the OP needs to write a letter to that effect, possibly from an immigration attorney. Just call their attention to the actual regulation that is being misinterpreted.

Kezzie's point is not entirely without merit, Mike. The consular officer can only assume the couple will marry in the state of residence notated on the I129F petition. Not to mention the fact we can assume the beneficiary completed form I156 and truthfully answered the question in box #24.

I responded to the bolded part of Kezzie's post. That's the part with no merit. I understand the problem. The solution is marrying in another State. One need not marry in their State of residence.

Further, as it turns out, Texas does allow first cousin marriage but one cannot marry a neice or nephew.

See here: http://www.cousincouples.com/info/states.shtml

I made the mistake of not checking first. I'll amend my recommendation to the OP to simply provide legal confirmation that their marriage is allowed in Texas.

Ok, on further research Texas changed their law in September 2005 and now doesn't allow first cousin marriage.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Don't you think there is something wrong with marrying your cousin? That is like marrying your mom/dad or brother/sister. Very strange if you ask me but each to their own.

:shocked:

Shame on you for your inappropriate post. The OP was not asking your opinion of whether certain marriages should be legal, ethical or not. :angry:

Samby

I think everyone on this site is entitled to their opinions unless you're paying their mortgage and they do not have a right to speak or vote?! Personally I do not agree with incest but hence it is their choice, I agree with the fact if they decide to get married in Connecticut then that is the place they will have to reside as it is unlawful in the state of Texas. Then again, if they are already married then it wouldn't make a difference as the paper suggests yadda yadda. How will the state of Texas know?..

Opinions are fine...in the right place! This was not a post asking people their thoughts on what constitures incest - therefore, this is not the right place. If someone wants to espouse their opinion, then they can start their own topic.

If we have learned nothing else from our collective cross-cultural journeys, it is that 1 person's "defintion" is not the same as another's. Even your coment, TaylorforLove, that "Personally I do not agree with incest but hence it is their choice..." misses the mark that not everyone defines the marriage of first cousins as incest. the reality of your comment is "I beleive that marriage between first cousins is incest and I do not beleive in incest, but the OP has their right to beleive as they do...".

Warm Regards,

Samby

Are you trying to rearrange my knowledge of words/sentences samby? Besides me, I think I missed the point that your post has given any hint of support to the topic poster? Yes that is correct, cousins IS incest. Incest is marrying any family member including that of a first cousin dear. Yes that is correct, 'I do not personally agree with incest but hence that is their choice'. Listen and learn kid.

:bonk: Ay Naku! Some people's kids.....really Taylorlove...try readying the posts again and see if you can comprehend. T hat is YOUR defintion of incest. Not everyone's.

As for the "kid" comment...I'm not sure if I should thank you or :rofl:

Warm Regards,

Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
That is like marrying your mom/dad or brother/sister. Very strange if you ask me but each to their own. :shocked:

Actually, marrying your cousin isn't quite the same as marrying your mom/dad/brother/sister. By the time you get to cousins the genetic similarities are "watered" down to an extent where you are not genetically similar enough to cause many (if any) problems.

;)

Filed: Other Timeline
Don't you think there is something wrong with marrying your cousin? That is like marrying your mom/dad or brother/sister. Very strange if you ask me but each to their own.

:shocked:

Shame on you for your inappropriate post. The OP was not asking your opinion of whether certain marriages should be legal, ethical or not. :angry:

Samby

I think everyone on this site is entitled to their opinions unless you're paying their mortgage and they do not have a right to speak or vote?! Personally I do not agree with incest but hence it is their choice, I agree with the fact if they decide to get married in Connecticut then that is the place they will have to reside as it is unlawful in the state of Texas. Then again, if they are already married then it wouldn't make a difference as the paper suggests yadda yadda. How will the state of Texas know?..

Opinions are fine...in the right place! This was not a post asking people their thoughts on what constitures incest - therefore, this is not the right place. If someone wants to espouse their opinion, then they can start their own topic.

If we have learned nothing else from our collective cross-cultural journeys, it is that 1 person's "defintion" is not the same as another's. Even your coment, TaylorforLove, that "Personally I do not agree with incest but hence it is their choice..." misses the mark that not everyone defines the marriage of first cousins as incest. the reality of your comment is "I beleive that marriage between first cousins is incest and I do not beleive in incest, but the OP has their right to beleive as they do...".

Warm Regards,

Samby

Are you trying to rearrange my knowledge of words/sentences samby? Besides me, I think I missed the point that your post has given any hint of support to the topic poster? Yes that is correct, cousins IS incest. Incest is marrying any family member including that of a first cousin dear. Yes that is correct, 'I do not personally agree with incest but hence that is their choice'. Listen and learn kid.

:bonk: Ay Naku! Some people's kids.....really Taylorlove...try readying the posts again and see if you can comprehend. T hat is YOUR defintion of incest. Not everyone's.

As for the "kid" comment...I'm not sure if I should thank you or :rofl:

Warm Regards,

Samby

Bambi my understanding of incest comes from common sense but for you, maybe you can google it i.e. 'incest define' or go to your local bookstore. Everyone else's opinion is theirs but I do not attack their comments unfoundedly, I respond with my own opinion including keeping to the topic.. ####... really :ot2:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.