Bosco

declaring your marriage

12 posts in this topic

Did any of you declare your marriage with the Moroccan Consulate in NYC?

From the Consulate General of the Kingdom of Morocco requirements for Moroccan Nationals:

Marriage

According to the new Moudawana all marriages concluded in presence of two muslim witnesses are accepted marriage certificates and do not need to be validated in Morocco. Please note that all Moroccan Nationals who got married in the United States have to declare their marriage to the Consulate General within three months of their marriage. These are the requirement:

* Copy of the marriage certificate

* Birth certificate of husband and wife

* Copy of Carte Nationale or passport of husband and wife

* Amoney order of $16 payable to the Consulate of Morocco

Please refer to la Moudawana within this site.

Rebecca

The Moudawana is Islamic family law and applies to Moroccan Muslims (about 99% of the population). The few Jewish and Christian people living in Morocco are not expected to follow the Moudawana. For example, family Law for Jewish people is based on Jewish tradition and the courts use rabbinical court officials. Churches will perform marriages between two Christians.

The Consulate is just making it easier for people who choose an Islamic marriage outside of Morocco to register their marriage, without having to go through a validation process.

Rebecca

What if more than three months have passed AND there were no muslim witnesses at the ceremony?

Jenn,

The Zawaj section of the Moudawanat Alousra addresses marriage abroad. It first says how the Moroccan National: in according with local law but also with two Muslim witnesses. It doesn't have to declare the sadaq but it should not sadaq was declined.

The second point says the marriage should be registered within three months with the consulate.

My guess would be registering and validating marriages are two different things, that the consulate wants to know of any marriages, but that Morocco will only recognize the marriages performed according to the Moudawana. Maybe they only want to know about "valid" marriages. It isn't very clear.

As far as beyond three months, beats me :wacko: We are going to find out because we plan to declare our marriage.

Rebecca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I asked Hicham if he wanted to do that a few months ago so any future children could be Moroccan citizens. He so vehemently said no. He cannot see any advantages to registering our marriage or for our children to have Moroccan citizenship. Anyone else experienced this? (I was surprised at his reaction btw.)

Twila

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

I asked Hicham if he wanted to do that a few months ago so any future children could be Moroccan citizens. He so vehemently said no. He cannot see any advantages to registering our marriage or for our children to have Moroccan citizenship. Anyone else experienced this? (I was surprised at his reaction btw.)

Twila

Twila,

Your children automatically have Moroccan citizenship, either way.

One advantange is that you are protected under inheritance laws in Morocco.

The new Moudawana also gives women greater rights regarding child custody and finances/distribution of assets in the event of divorce.

Not to mention if your marriage is registered, your husband cannot take another wife without your knowledge or consent. :lol:

Then there is the simple feeling that you marriage is considered valid and recognized in Morocco.

Rebecca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ok, completely different country, but Tamer and I went down to Chicago awhile back and registered our marriage with the Egyptian Embassy. It wasn't required, but it will make traveling in Egypt much much easier. The government frowns on unmarried people traveling (and living) together, so when we've gone in the past, we've had to sculk around and pay premium prices on our apartments. The police wouldn't have been persuaded by a "we're married religiously but don't have any papers to prove it" argument.

The citizenship issue is an interesting one, and one I've been thinking about a lot recently. Our kids will be dual citizens, Egyptian/American. Since Tamer and I are contemplating moving back to Egypt once he has his CPA, I'm also thinking about getting the Egyptian nationality, so I can more easily own property in Egypt. But, so many pros and cons to way out. :wacko: Definately going to leave those worries to some time in the future.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Timeline
Ok, completely different country, but Tamer and I went down to Chicago awhile back and registered our marriage with the Egyptian Embassy. It wasn't required, but it will make traveling in Egypt much much easier. The government frowns on unmarried people traveling (and living) together, so when we've gone in the past, we've had to sculk around and pay premium prices on our apartments. The police wouldn't have been persuaded by a "we're married religiously but don't have any papers to prove it" argument.

The citizenship issue is an interesting one, and one I've been thinking about a lot recently. Our kids will be dual citizens, Egyptian/American. Since Tamer and I are contemplating moving back to Egypt once he has his CPA, I'm also thinking about getting the Egyptian nationality, so I can more easily own property in Egypt. But, so many pros and cons to way out. :wacko: Definately going to leave those worries to some time in the future.

Wise advice. Egypt (and I am assuming other ME/NA countries as well) is very difficult for a "mixed" couple to function in. I have the nightmare stories to prove it. This is wonderful advice. My question is, rahma, did you have to go to Chicago personally to register your marriage, or can it be done via mail? This is something I definitely want to do in the (hopefully near) future.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Wise advice. Egypt (and I am assuming other ME/NA countries as well) is very difficult for a "mixed" couple to function in. I have the nightmare stories to prove it. This is wonderful advice.

I know quite a number of ladies who do well, and some who don't. Allahu Alem (only God knows) how I'd do. But, it's years from now, so I don't have to worry about it quite yet :star:

My question is, rahma, did you have to go to Chicago personally to register your marriage, or can it be done via mail? This is something I definitely want to do in the (hopefully near) future.

I believe you can do it via mail, but we didn't want to send DH's passport and our marriage certificate in case they lost it, with our AOS interview coming up soon. It's kinda scary to send off the passport, when it's the only real form of ID he has in this country. They do ask that egyptians register within 6 months of arriving in the US, although it 's not necessarily required. They didn't tell us what would happen if we didn't. I think the California consulate has online registration, but the Chicago one sucks, to put it mildly.

http://www.egy2000.com/missionsl.htm

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• 2 years later...
Timeline
What if more than three months have passed AND there were no muslim witnesses at the ceremony?

Jenn,

The Zawaj section of the Moudawanat Alousra addresses marriage abroad. It first says how the Moroccan National: in according with local law but also with two Muslim witnesses. It doesn't have to declare the sadaq but it should not sadaq was declined.

The second point says the marriage should be registered within three months with the consulate.

My guess would be registering and validating marriages are two different things, that the consulate wants to know of any marriages, but that Morocco will only recognize the marriages performed according to the Moudawana. Maybe they only want to know about "valid" marriages. It isn't very clear.

As far as beyond three months, beats me :wacko: We are going to find out because we plan to declare our marriage.

Rebecca

Did you ever find out? We've been married for over two years now. I was wondering if we just have to do it again Islamically next time we visit Morocco. I really don't know how to do it here, since we're already married....

thanks

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Timeline

I just found this on the embassy website:

http://dcusa.themoroccanembassy.com/Consul..._status.aspx#a1

Marriage

Moroccans married by americans authorities (district courts) can establish a recognitive marriage act before the moroccan consular services; the recognitive marriage act would require the testimony of two muslims and the acknowlegment of the dowry given to the bride for marriage.

The fees for the establishment of the recognitive marriage act (Moulhaq Azzawaj): $ 40.

NB:This procedure is not required in the case of the existence of an islamic marriage celebrated before an Islamic center.

Edited by MrsAmera

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.