Army_Wife

US Military Spouses

700 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone,

my hubby and I got recently married, I live in France and he lives in the USA. He is in the Air Force and currently completing the training / formation which is gonna lead him to his first deployment. His training should he finished in end of August. Though we do not know when his first deployement is gonna happen we hope it will not be before end of this year / beginning of next year. We do not know either how long our process for visa is gonna take, we are going to file for CR1 as soon as we gathered everything we need, hoping to send package for the end of next week.

On another hand, since I have to still live in France at the moment, I am still renting my own apartment, which represents a severe loss of money (renting aruond Paris is hugely expensive).

So I was wondering if we could apply for an expedite. If we were sure to have the possibility to raise enough money to visit each other and so on it would be different but it is not the case. I would will try to visit in July but I am not 100% sure I will get in the US (if agent at the airport is in bad mood). Anyways, I also kinda fear that by the time the visa gets approved and that I finally can get in the US he is gonna be deployed and so we will have the visa but still wont be able to live together (you know what I am talking about). We -like everyone here- just would like to do the best to be together asap and doing the things right.

Thanks for your help.

Feb. 2007 : meet online

March 2008 : Fell in love

May 2008 : officially "dating"

June 21st 2008 : ingame "wedding" haha

-------------------------------------------------

July 14th 2008 : bf gone to basic training

August 30th : graduated - on the way to tech school :)

October 30th : graduated tech school - moving base :)

Dec. 23rd 2008 : 1st visit - bf arrival in France (yesss !)

Dec. 28th 2008 : introduced him to parents (they love him, wheee !)

Jan. 4th 2008 : bf gotta go back to the US, sad day.

May 1st 2009 : 1st time in the US, got to see my love again whee !

May 9th 2009 : Civil Union :)

May 24th 2009 : Going back to France, booh :(

June 17th : I-130 package sent

June 27th : Got delivery confirmation

June 29th : Got NOA1 yeeey !

July 10th : Back in the US to see my love :)

August 10th : And back in France again :(

Sept. 18th : Touched

Sept. 29th : got an RFE :(

Oct. 6th : RFE answer received by USCIS

Currently : ready to go back to the USA and see my loved one !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malta
Timeline
Hello everyone,

my hubby and I got recently married, I live in France and he lives in the USA. He is in the Air Force and currently completing the training / formation which is gonna lead him to his first deployment. His training should he finished in end of August. Though we do not know when his first deployement is gonna happen we hope it will not be before end of this year / beginning of next year. We do not know either how long our process for visa is gonna take, we are going to file for CR1 as soon as we gathered everything we need, hoping to send package for the end of next week.

On another hand, since I have to still live in France at the moment, I am still renting my own apartment, which represents a severe loss of money (renting aruond Paris is hugely expensive).

So I was wondering if we could apply for an expedite. If we were sure to have the possibility to raise enough money to visit each other and so on it would be different but it is not the case. I would will try to visit in July but I am not 100% sure I will get in the US (if agent at the airport is in bad mood). Anyways, I also kinda fear that by the time the visa gets approved and that I finally can get in the US he is gonna be deployed and so we will have the visa but still wont be able to live together (you know what I am talking about). We -like everyone here- just would like to do the best to be together asap and doing the things right.

Thanks for your help.

hey moonskin... do you have his deployment orders yet so that you can apply for an expedite?

N400 sent : 2012-10-27

Check Cashed : 2012-11-05

Bio Appointment : 2012-11-23

Walk-In Biometrics : 2012-11-14

Interview Appointment : 2013-04-12

Approved : 2013-04-12

Oath Ceremony : 2013-06-28

as1cCET0g410010MjA0MDk1c3wwMTMxbHxTaW5jZ

I'm Derrel 12yr Navy Vet and am looking to marry my fiancee who lives in Spain. I am facing an OCT09-JUN2010 deployment with my ship and will be out to sea on short 2-4week detatchments in June July Aug and Sep. and would like to marry prior to my departure. Would it be unwise to marry on her tourist visa and then begin the follow up paper work since i'll be gone anyway. I truly don't know where to begin with this.

No that's what I would recommend even though it's illegal for her to enter the country with the intent to get married while she's here. She automatically gets the 90 day visa when she enters, and you can start the paperwork as soon as you guys get married.

Do you alreadu have your orders?

Thanks for your service!

No offense, but I would personally not do that (or recommend it), because you are basically committing immigration fraud (if that is the correct term). If they find out your intentions at POE/later, when you file for AOS, you can get into a lot of trouble.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
I'm Derrel 12yr Navy Vet and am looking to marry my fiancee who lives in Spain. I am facing an OCT09-JUN2010 deployment with my ship and will be out to sea on short 2-4week detatchments in June July Aug and Sep. and would like to marry prior to my departure. Would it be unwise to marry on her tourist visa and then begin the follow up paper work since i'll be gone anyway. I truly don't know where to begin with this.

No that's what I would recommend even though it's illegal for her to enter the country with the intent to get married while she's here. She automatically gets the 90 day visa when she enters, and you can start the paperwork as soon as you guys get married.

Thanks for your service!

No offense, but I would personally not do that (or recommend it), because you are basically committing immigration fraud (if that is the correct term). If they find out your intentions at POE/later, when you file for AOS, you can get into a lot of trouble.

Well there's no way they can prove it... just saying.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help.

hey moonskin... do you have his deployment orders yet so that you can apply for an expedite?

You can still apply for an expedite even if he doesn't have his orders yet.

I-130 Sent - 12/10/2008

I-130 NOA1 - 12/16/2008

**Found VisaJourney.com and found out you can apply for expedite**

Request for expedite - 01/30/2009

I-130 Approved - 01/30/2009

NVC received - 02/05/2009

Request for expedite - 02/06/2009

Expedite approved - 02/20/2009

Case completed at NVC - 02/20/2009

Consulate received - 02/26/2009

Interview date - 03/13/2009

Visa received - 03/20/09

US entry - 04/13/2009

Timeline

Thanks for your service!

Well there's no way they can prove it... just saying.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help.

You can still apply for an expedite even if he doesn't have his orders yet.

To DerrelandSandra, your fiancee can always come to the US and you two can get married. It's not illegal as long as you do not stay afterwards and try to adjust status. Your then wife would have to go back to Spain and you would have to file and start the process for a spousal visa. If i understood your post correctly, you two would be apart anyway. I strongly suggest a CR-1 visa as your SO can work upon entry (No AOS/K3) and it's cheaper.

Read the guides you'll find here on VJ, research A LOT and don't hesitate to ask questions.

After you file, you can always apply for an expedite due to your deployment. Read this thread, we talk a lot about it.

Good luck!!

To moonskin Hey fellow french! Even if you don't know when your husband is going to get deployed, he can always request an expedite. Read this thread and you'll find stories of people that had their case expedited with or without deployment orders.

Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Good luck!!

2007-09-17 --> Met in France

2007-10-11 --> <3

2008-09-10 --> Got married!

USCIS Journey

2009-01-31 --> I-130 application sent via fedex to Chicago lockbox

2009-02-02 --> I-130 received by USCIS

2009-02-05 --> Notice of Action (NOA1)

2009-02-07 --> Notice of Action (NOA1) hardcopy received in the mail

2009-02-09 --> Request for Expedite

2009-02-09/10/16/18/20 --> Touched

2009-02-26 --> Phone call from WY congresswoman's office: I-130 petition approved (NOA2)!!

2009-02-27 --> Touched (case mailed to NVC?)

2009-03-02 --> NOA2 hardcopy in the mail

NVC Journey

2009-03-13 --> Case # assigned

2009-03-15 --> Request for expedite

2009-03-19 --> DS-3032 generated

2009-03-19 --> DS-3032 sent (e-mail)

2009-03-19 --> AOS and IV fees PAID (money order) (as per NVC supervisor's instructions)

2009-03-20 --> AOS package and DS-230 sent to NVC (as per NVC supervisor's instructions)

2009-04-13 --> Case complete at NVC

Embassy Journey

2009-04-14 --> Forward the case to Embassy in Paris, France

2009-04-30 --> Medical (PASSED!)

2009-04-30 --> Visa Interview - APPROVED!!

2009-05-04 --> Visa in Hand

2009-05-12 --> POE (Chicago)

2009-06-26 --> Green Card arrived in the mail!!

ROC

2011-03-16 --> ROC packet sent

2011-04-14 --> Biometrics appointment in Denver, CO

2011-05-27 --> Notification of approval in the mail (actual decision on the 24th)

2011-05-31 --> 10 year green card in the mail! (sent on the 25th)

**Done with USCIS till 2021**

To DerrelandSandra, your fiancee can always come to the US and you two can get married. It's not illegal as long as you do not stay afterwards and try to adjust status. Your then wife would have to go back to Spain and you would have to file and start the process for a spousal visa. If i understood your post correctly, you two would be apart anyway. I strongly suggest a CR-1 visa as your SO can work upon entry (No AOS/K3) and it's cheaper.

Read the guides you'll find here on VJ, research A LOT and don't hesitate to ask questions.

After you file, you can always apply for an expedite due to your deployment. Read this thread, we talk a lot about it.

Right, I misread and assumed she would stay in the US after the marriage, sorry about that.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Timeline
To moonskin Hey fellow french! Even if you don't know when your husband is going to get deployed, he can always request an expedite. Read this thread and you'll find stories of people that had their case expedited with or without deployment orders.

Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Good luck!!

Hey there ! Good to see another Frenchie here, so I assume that you are a military spouse aswell. Anyways, I shall pm you tomorrow :)

Yup, this is what we did, because it was the best solution for us, K1 would have been too much a pain for different reasons, and getting married in France was impossible due to my sweetheart not being able to travel abroad till his training is over ie more months to wait.

Good luck !

Feb. 2007 : meet online

March 2008 : Fell in love

May 2008 : officially "dating"

June 21st 2008 : ingame "wedding" haha

July 14th 2008 : bf gone to basic training

August 30th : graduated - on the way to tech school :)

October 30th : graduated tech school - moving base :)

Dec. 23rd 2008 : 1st visit - bf arrival in France (yesss !)

Dec. 28th 2008 : introduced him to parents (they love him, wheee !)

Jan. 4th 2008 : bf gotta go back to the US, sad day.

May 1st 2009 : 1st time in the US, got to see my love again whee !

May 9th 2009 : Civil Union :)

May 24th 2009 : Going back to France, booh :(

June 17th : I-130 package sent

June 27th : Got delivery confirmation

June 29th : Got NOA1 yeeey !

July 10th : Back in the US to see my love :)

August 10th : And back in France again :(

Sept. 18th : Touched

Sept. 29th : got an RFE :(

Oct. 6th : RFE answer received by USCIS

Currently : ready to go back to the USA and see my loved one !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

HI EVERYONE... HOW R U ALL? (its me L_O_V_E) i hope everyone is doing good... ill have my medical exam tomorrow.. (i hope ill pass it,, :yes: )

PINOY And We know that GOD causes all things to work together for good to those who love GOD, to those who are called according to HIS purpose Romans 8:28

PINAY WE can do everything through HIM who gives US strength Philippians 4:13

Hi,

You'll do fine on your medical exam. Don't worry! I'm happy your almost done. You'll be in the states anytime now.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : South Korea

2009-03-13 : Married~

2009-04-20 : I-130 Sent

2009-04-28 : I-130 NOA1

2009-05-20 : I-130 Approved! (Your I-130 was approved 22 days from NOA1 date.)

2009-05-27 : NVC Received and assigned case #.

2009-06-05 : NVC Left

2009-06-29: Medical (passed)

2009-07-07 : Interview Date

2009-07-10 : Visa Received

2009-07-30: US Entry

2009-08-13: Green card shipped

2009-09-01: Applied for SSN

2009-09-27: SSN Received

2009-12-12- Driver's Lic. Issued

2010-01-06- Hubby signed 3 year contract w/ military

Next Step: Coping with being alone for 5 months~

kiss.gif

Timeline

good luck for the medical.... i be leaving to go to italy for my medical and interview in 14 days!!!!!!!!! God please help me.... im so anxious and nervous!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Good luck to both of you! It's no big deal really as long as you don't have TB or whatever :lol:

I-130 Sent - 12/10/2008

I-130 NOA1 - 12/16/2008

**Found VisaJourney.com and found out you can apply for expedite**

Request for expedite - 01/30/2009

I-130 Approved - 01/30/2009

NVC received - 02/05/2009

Request for expedite - 02/06/2009

Expedite approved - 02/20/2009

Case completed at NVC - 02/20/2009

Consulate received - 02/26/2009

Interview date - 03/13/2009

Visa received - 03/20/09

US entry - 04/13/2009

Timeline

It's stressful but really it's just answering a bunch of questions (some were weird for me like, have you ever had leprosy?), get a few shots if you need any and you're good to go if nothing's wrong with your blood draw and X-rays..

GOOD LUCK !!! :star:

2007-09-17 --> Met in France

2007-10-11 --> <3

2008-09-10 --> Got married!

USCIS Journey

2009-01-31 --> I-130 application sent via fedex to Chicago lockbox

2009-02-02 --> I-130 received by USCIS

2009-02-05 --> Notice of Action (NOA1)

2009-02-07 --> Notice of Action (NOA1) hardcopy received in the mail

2009-02-09 --> Request for Expedite

2009-02-09/10/16/18/20 --> Touched

2009-02-26 --> Phone call from WY congresswoman's office: I-130 petition approved (NOA2)!!

2009-02-27 --> Touched (case mailed to NVC?)

2009-03-02 --> NOA2 hardcopy in the mail

NVC Journey

2009-03-13 --> Case # assigned

2009-03-15 --> Request for expedite

2009-03-19 --> DS-3032 generated

2009-03-19 --> DS-3032 sent (e-mail)

2009-03-19 --> AOS and IV fees PAID (money order) (as per NVC supervisor's instructions)

2009-03-20 --> AOS package and DS-230 sent to NVC (as per NVC supervisor's instructions)

2009-04-13 --> Case complete at NVC

Embassy Journey

2009-04-14 --> Forward the case to Embassy in Paris, France

2009-04-30 --> Medical (PASSED!)

2009-04-30 --> Visa Interview - APPROVED!!

2009-05-04 --> Visa in Hand

2009-05-12 --> POE (Chicago)

2009-06-26 --> Green Card arrived in the mail!!

ROC

2011-03-16 --> ROC packet sent

2011-04-14 --> Biometrics appointment in Denver, CO

2011-05-27 --> Notification of approval in the mail (actual decision on the 24th)

2011-05-31 --> 10 year green card in the mail! (sent on the 25th)

**Done with USCIS till 2021**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
It's stressful but really it's just answering a bunch of questions (some were weird for me like, have you ever had leprosy?), get a few shots if you need any and you're good to go if nothing's wrong with your blood draw and X-rays..

I PASSED my medical exam :dance: thank God i dont have TB....lol

His wife... How is ur medical? i hope u also passed..

C&D n TheKims Thank you...

GOODLUCK EVERYONE :innocent:

PINOY And We know that GOD causes all things to work together for good to those who love GOD, to those who are called according to HIS purpose Romans 8:28

PINAY WE can do everything through HIM who gives US strength Philippians 4:13

Timeline

I PASSED my medical exam :dance: thank God i dont have TB....lol

His wife... How is ur medical? i hope u also passed..

C&D n TheKims Thank you...

GOODLUCK EVERYONE :innocent:

thats great news.... my medical is on the 16th.... interview on the 17th :)

Good luck to both of you! It's no big deal really as long as you don't have TB or whatever :lol:

thanks joggie.... just got a dvd message from hubby while hes deployed... and im all teary..... cant wait to have him back!!

Hi,

Just a heads up for anyone who is currently in the AOS stage (even though this is the IR-1/CR-1 forum), and is invited to the interview while their spouse is unavailable to attend due to military reasons.

If you have a copy of the deployment orders or of the military orders (e.g. predeployment training; if the soldier does not have a copy of the orders, he can ask his CO to confirm the mandatory training in a letter), you should be able to attend the interview by yourself.

It is best to check beforehand with the Field Office (at an Infopass appointment, or via help of JAG/ACS on post, if they have direct contacts), just to make sure. But it should be fine.

We tried to change the interview date first, which did not work. However, they were very understanding and I had a (very short) interview by myself, no problem at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.