irish44

A few amusing photos in Russia

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Here are a few amusing Russian photos gathered from various sources. Enjoy!

swissarmyrussianarmy.jpg

Sometimes it takes a LONG time for the Gaz Busses to show up.

74.jpg

Practicing for the May Day parade?

75.jpg

Interesting Sleeping Arrangement!

Bed.jpg

You've seen one of these on your trips I'm sure, but...

Ambulance1.jpg

This one's not carrying any patients!!

Ambulance2.jpg

Russian SpongeBob

russian_spongebob.jpg

Morning Coffee

morning.jpg

New Lada Limousine

Lada.jpg

Police on the job

napping.jpg

The worst part is I saw most of those things while I was there... which makes me think that's pretty much business as usual.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Great pictures, just like my last trip to the Ukraine. It is always nice to get back the the USA. The last time I got back, the next day I was stuck in traffic on the Freeway and enjoying every minute of it. It definitely make you appreciate what we have.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Looking at the photos, I wonder why we ever feared the Russians. I always enjoy looking at movies and photos of the Russian space rockets and capsules...they look very "homemade" and yet, amazingly, they fly.

I remember the story about when we captured one of the advanced Mig jet fighters and discovered the avionics were powered with old TV style vacuum tubes!

Looking at the photos, I wonder why we ever feared the Russians. I always enjoy looking at movies and photos of the Russian space rockets and capsules...they look very "homemade" and yet, amazingly, they fly.

I remember the story about when we captured one of the advanced Mig jet fighters and discovered the avionics were powered with old TV style vacuum tubes!

I think you answered your own question. :) The Russians were to be feared exactly because they can find a solution to any problem, and those solutions are often not something we'd have ever thought of doing. For example, the Russians solved the problem of pressure suits taking up too much room in their early Soyuz capsules by just pressurizing the capsule and leaving the pressure suits at home. This turned out to be a bad thing when 3 astronauts died on re-entry when the capsule de-pressurized too early, but it did buy them time in developing a new larger capsule. Not to mention they're probably some of the most tenacious people on the planet. Looking at how they fought off the Germans in WW2, I know they're not an enemy I'd ever want to go up against.

Speaking of interesting solutions, I was talking to a guy who had gone to a supercomputing conference in Moscow, and told me this story. Back in WW2 the Russians were also trying to create computers to do things like crack codes. The big thing that held them up was that instead of going with binary state computers (where a bit can be zero voltage or positive voltage) like we did, they were trying to make trinary state computers (minus voltage, zero, and plus voltage) work. The joke was that Russian computers could give you an answer of "yes," "no," and "maybe." :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have seen everyone of those scenes in Kazan'. I think this is one of reasons I love Russia so much. They are more free than us. They can relax anywhere and its acceptable.

Oh and regards do the, "Why did we fear them?" I'm with Kirk. Because they find solutions. As my Alla puts it when she has a problem, "Jeffery, I will find exit to this situation."

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

I think you answered your own question. :) The Russians were to be feared exactly because they can find a solution to any problem, and those solutions are often not something we'd have ever thought of doing. For example, the Russians solved the problem of pressure suits taking up too much room in their early Soyuz capsules by just pressurizing the capsule and leaving the pressure suits at home. This turned out to be a bad thing when 3 astronauts died on re-entry when the capsule de-pressurized too early, but it did buy them time in developing a new larger capsule. Not to mention they're probably some of the most tenacious people on the planet. Looking at how they fought off the Germans in WW2, I know they're not an enemy I'd ever want to go up against.

Speaking of interesting solutions, I was talking to a guy who had gone to a supercomputing conference in Moscow, and told me this story. Back in WW2 the Russians were also trying to create computers to do things like crack codes. The big thing that held them up was that instead of going with binary state computers (where a bit can be zero voltage or positive voltage) like we did, they were trying to make trinary state computers (minus voltage, zero, and plus voltage) work. The joke was that Russian computers could give you an answer of "yes," "no," and "maybe." :D

Hey Mox, Sean, and Kazan.

I agree that I would not want to face a Russian soldier in battle. In WW2 they had the nazi's trying to kill them from the front and their own political officers trying to shoot them from the back if they did not fight. Plus they really have a love for their country.

On the subject of creativity, I totally agree with that as well. They make do with what they have and do come up with extraordinary solutions. Check this out:

2.gif

Look at this device on the picture above. I wonder if there is a suitable name for it in English in Russia they called it “a burner out machine”. It was used to make drawings on the plywood, by plugging it into electricity outlet and making the needle at the end of this handle red-hot. In every Soviet and later in Russian school all the junior students got the skills of using this thing at their Applied Arts lessons.

But it seems that this artist got too much of these Applied Arts in the Soviet Union and for sure he had all A’s for this subject. Just look at what pictures he has drawn with the help of this freaky Soviet machine and a few pieces of plywood.

3a.jpg

Looks like Russians can turn an ordinary home computer into almost everything. For example, looks like this one can fill your mug with a fresh beer. Though actually nobody can tell how this weird thing works.

6.jpg

Cheers!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Funny photos, Irish. Looks like just another day in Russia to me. Russians are famous for improvising, though their methods and standards are usually not so safe. Risk is just part of everyday life there. Thanks for the photos!

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Funny photos, Irish. Looks like just another day in Russia to me. Russians are famous for improvising, though their methods and standards are usually not so safe. Risk is just part of everyday life there. Thanks for the photos!

Good luck Sasha, with the upcoming interview!!

Edited by irish44

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey Irish. This is Jason, but I will say "Thank you" for Sasha. I'm sure she's deep in dreamland right about now. So, don't my reply in her absence. We're both looking forward to getting past the interview successfully. But I must admit that it's been tearing our nerves up a bit. we feel pretty confident. But when you've waited so long and get this close, the anxiety consumes you. 2 more days. And we'll finally have the answers we've been seeking, finally have something concrete to base our plans upon. One way or another, we'll be given a path to take. we've made backup plans for the "just in case" situation. So, at least by friday we'll know who's going where. But we're confident that she will be coming here by the end of March. Our fingers are crossed tightly.... :thumbs:

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Hey Irish. This is Jason, but I will say "Thank you" for Sasha. I'm sure she's deep in dreamland right about now. So, don't my reply in her absence. We're both looking forward to getting past the interview successfully. But I must admit that it's been tearing our nerves up a bit. we feel pretty confident. But when you've waited so long and get this close, the anxiety consumes you. 2 more days. And we'll finally have the answers we've been seeking, finally have something concrete to base our plans upon. One way or another, we'll be given a path to take. we've made backup plans for the "just in case" situation. So, at least by friday we'll know who's going where. But we're confident that she will be coming here by the end of March. Our fingers are crossed tightly.... :thumbs:

Actually Jason, 2 days and 1 minute from now :);)

Edited by Bobalouie

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.