amrssnowangel

THINGS TO MAKE THEM FEEL AT HOME

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Now that our interview is close at hand...Im looking to find ways to make him feel and home and help him with the transition. New culture..new home..new style of everything....

What are some things you seasoned VJ'ers have done to help your love adjust to life in the states...what has worked..what hasn't...what adjustments did you have to go through living together and blending your lives...

I was thinking of buying a blanket from egypt...to keep in our room...some egyptian wall hangings...maybe his favorite toothpaste from there, soaps and colognes....learn a few egyptian food recipees...order arabic tv or online arabic football...download the Adhan on the computer...

What about you...share your ideas....we all know this is an on going process and them adjusting is just part of it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a really good thread about this some time back, does anyone remember who made it?

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I didnt really search..I am to lazy for that...LOL...BUT...Im sure in addition to anything anyone finds on that old thread...maybe some have more or new ideas??? :thumbs::thumbs: I'm happy to see that thread if someone can find it...Im wayyyyyyyyyy to lazy to do more searching tonight...LOL

I didnt really search..I am to lazy for that...LOL...BUT...Im sure in addition to anything anyone finds on that old thread...maybe some have more or new ideas??? :thumbs::thumbs: I'm happy to see that thread if someone can find it...Im wayyyyyyyyyy to lazy to do more searching tonight...LOL

I wouldnt even know where to begin to search. I'm hoping someone here has a good memory. It had a lot of good ideas on it!

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think you may have been thinking of this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24262

well, the beginning of that thread is useful, at least

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: Timeline

My husband brought one of those really thick, velour blankets with him. We love it! It's so cozy.

I would say learning to cook some Egyptian foods is a good idea although I rarely do myself anymore. Husband prefers "American" foods now. Getting Arabic satellite/cable stations is nice, also. I wouldn't go the athan route only because those electronic athans scare the crapola out of me. Maybe print out a prayer time list and put it on the fridge. A bidet type thingy is a nice idea also. We've been talking about getting one of those. Using a plastic cup isn't cutting it. The toilet seat is always wet...a wet bum is no fun!

Now that our interview is close at hand...Im looking to find ways to make him feel and home and help him with the transition. New culture..new home..new style of everything....

What are some things you seasoned VJ'ers have done to help your love adjust to life in the states...what has worked..what hasn't...what adjustments did you have to go through living together and blending your lives...

I was thinking of buying a blanket from egypt...to keep in our room...some egyptian wall hangings...maybe his favorite toothpaste from there, soaps and colognes....learn a few egyptian food recipees...order arabic tv or online arabic football...download the Adhan on the computer...

What about you...share your ideas....we all know this is an on going process and them adjusting is just part of it.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As far as this subject goes, we tended to search out things together as a learning experience for both of us. Andre was very excited to find the two international grocery stores here and to find we can get the meats, fruits, veggies, and spices at our farmer's market for much cheaper.

Other then that, he was not overly excited about anything else to do specifically with Jamaica that we could find..........restaurants, musical experiences, clothing, etc. He has not actively sought out the local Jamaican community.

He always says he is in the US and he wants to experience EVERYTHING the US has to offer.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
As far as this subject goes, we tended to search out things together as a learning experience for both of us. Andre was very excited to find the two international grocery stores here and to find we can get the meats, fruits, veggies, and spices at our farmer's market for much cheaper.

Other then that, he was not overly excited about anything else to do specifically with Jamaica that we could find..........restaurants, musical experiences, clothing, etc. He has not actively sought out the local Jamaican community.

He always says he is in the US and he wants to experience EVERYTHING the US has to offer.

Your husband sounds so much like mine. My husband said the first day that he wanted to learn how to be American .he loves everything here and he says that he doesn't miss anything from back home. he loves to cook moroccan dishes for me, and I am sure that he doesn't expect me to know how to cook moroccan food. He is not interested in meeting other moroccans here. He has been here for almost 4 months, but he says that he feels like he has lived here his whole life. I ask him his secret for his easy adjustment and he says that he came prepared, whatever that means. As soon as he arrived here we went to see all the different grocery stores in the area. We went to the mediterranean store, but he didn't like it because it was too expensive. He loves Aldi's and everything that is cheap. Now, we spend less than I used to spend before he came, he has taught me a lot about being careful with money.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband brought lots of CDs of music with him and knew lots of websites to watch videos and download more Arabic music. Thats helped.

I already had all the Moroccan spices, a tagine, etc to make sure he could get Moroccan food if he wanted it. Usually HE cooks when he wants Moroccan (whew) I guess he thinks I won't do a good enough job...but I sure don't mind!

I would find out local Arabic markets for your husband to go to if he wants to check them out.

My husband never cared about the bidet or prayer times or anything but if yours does it wouldn't hurt to set those up for him!

Mostly I would tell him to bring things HE wants with him when he comes. Maybe explain to him how things are very different and if he has any favorite things (cologne, toothpaste, whatever he wants) that he should bring it.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

I would definitely say learning to cook some recipes from his "home" and getting Arabic satellite will work WONDERS. However, it still is a tough process and be prepared.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Timeline

I would definitely say learning to cook some recipes from his "home" and getting Arabic satellite will work WONDERS. However, it still is a tough process and be prepared.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

I think you may have been thinking of this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24262

well, the beginning of that thread is useful, at least

Did we have a famous MENA cat fight in there? :lol::o

I would definately agree with this! (Food and Arabic tv) :thumbs:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.