490 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Greg, I dont know what kind of evidence you have put together, but i can tell you what we did, which was successful. My husband got letters of "honor" from his mayor and "comisario". He got a letter from his boss, his mother, and various friends. The boss and politicians were on official letterhead, some wth official seals. they attested to our relationship and to his "honor."

I got a similar collection from my employer, friends and family. I wear a badge, and you betcha I played that card. (it sounds like this may be a possiblilty for you too.) I included pictures of me in uniform with co-workers. (When went to the interview i brought my badge along and showed them it and my work ID.) I got letters from HR and each of 2 ranks above mine. My letters attested to knowing of my relationship, my visits, and my intention to marry, as well as my character. As much as possible, I stapled a picture of me with the person who wrote the letter, and had those letters put on letterhead. From my uncle, who is a minister, I got a letter on letterhead stating his blessing and intention to perform the ceremony. (We were engaged at that time). Do you get the picture? Overboard, way way overboard. We had about 20 letters total, and i put them in a plastic sleeved packet. Since you have been living together, this would be easier for you. You could ask people in the apt building who see you together, your child's pediatrician, the priest, the people who own the stores where you shop, etc. Get creative and think overkill. I drafted the letters for people and all they had to do was sign it.

regarding the congressmember, I agree with VivaBanos, you really need to place a call not just an email, especially if a delay will killl you. She is exactly right, they need you to sign a form authorizing release of information to them. If you go on your members website, you can download that form. I would "pre-attack" and fax or pfd email the signed form AND all your documents without waiting to talk to the person, especially based on your work environment. VivaBanos is also correct in that if the stafer senses that you are all complaints but no real action (one paper letter or email but no actual phone calls), they WILL NOT put you on the front burner. I have worked extensively with politicians and their staffers in another job and can attest to this fact of life. If you go back thru VJ you will find that various members have been really really screwed by this consulate, adding up to a year to their wait. You must consider this in your decisions, and realize that you should not be passive in ANY WAY. we were lucky, because some very heads-up VJ members pre-alerted us before the interview, and we avoided their sorrows and delays.

One helpful thing we found out in advance was the professional history of the head of the consulate, which reveals his bias, which is obviously reflected in the bias of the staff. He is deeply interested and involved in issues concerning human trafficking. In other words, he wants to bust people who are paying someone to fake a relationship in order to get a visa. Wants to bust...maybe i should say, apparently he's got a hard-on. That's why you need to go overboard on the evidence and to be present for the interview.

As far as your ship schedule being unpredictable and limiting, you may need to take the bull by the horns and plan an interview when you are untouchable on leave in some way. I did not wait for them to call my husband for an appt, I MADE THE APPT myself, based on knowing that I could leave work fast at that time. I called and they offered the following week. I already knew what i would pay for plane tx so there was no hesitation. they will tell you you cant attend, just let that whopper fly, dont argue. its wrong. you may want to ask around on VJ and get other people's opinions, but personally, I would NOT risk scheduling a second interview unless I could definitely be there. If that means you wait 2 mo or whatever your tour is, then so be it. That's what i would do, anyways, but i dont know your whole situation.

:wacko:

4.25.08: sent K-1 application

4.28.08: NOA1

5.14.08: touched

9.25.08: touched

9.26.08: touched

9.26.08: NOA2

10.2.08: at NVC, letter says our application will be sent to Guayaquil in one week

10.9.08: spoke with consulate, they have our case

10.13.08: Doctor's appointment

10.20.08: Interview READ THE REVIEWS!

10.30.08: entry: Los Angeles

11.12.08: marriage

11.25.08: applied for Social Security card. READ THE vj GUIDE!

12.3.08: packet and letter for interview arrived at fiance's mail in Ecuador- for 10.20 interview! ha ha!

12.5.08: received SS card in mail

1.9.09: sent AOS/EAD/AP applications

2.10.09: Biometrics appt, Sacramento CA

3.15.09: AP recieved in mail

3.26.09: EAD recieved in mail

3.26.09: AOS interview, Sacramento, CA

4.09.09: Permanent Resident card received in mail

3.11.11: Mailed I-751 to CSC

3.14.11: I-751 received by CSC per USPS tracking

3.14.11: NOA date (received in mail on 3.19) one year extension

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Greg, I dont know what kind of evidence you have put together, but i can tell you what we did, which was successful. My husband got letters of "honor" from his mayor and "comisario". He got a letter from his boss, his mother, and various friends. The boss and politicians were on official letterhead, some wth official seals. they attested to our relationship and to his "honor."

I got a similar collection from my employer, friends and family. I wear a badge, and you betcha I played that card. (it sounds like this may be a possiblilty for you too.) I included pictures of me in uniform with co-workers. (When went to the interview i brought my badge along and showed them it and my work ID.) I got letters from HR and each of 2 ranks above mine. My letters attested to knowing of my relationship, my visits, and my intention to marry, as well as my character. As much as possible, I stapled a picture of me with the person who wrote the letter, and had those letters put on letterhead. From my uncle, who is a minister, I got a letter on letterhead stating his blessing and intention to perform the ceremony. (We were engaged at that time). Do you get the picture? Overboard, way way overboard. We had about 20 letters total, and i put them in a plastic sleeved packet. Since you have been living together, this would be easier for you. You could ask people in the apt building who see you together, your child's pediatrician, the priest, the people who own the stores where you shop, etc. Get creative and think overkill. I drafted the letters for people and all they had to do was sign it.

regarding the congressmember, I agree with VivaBanos, you really need to place a call not just an email, especially if a delay will killl you. She is exactly right, they need you to sign a form authorizing release of information to them. If you go on your members website, you can download that form. I would "pre-attack" and fax or pfd email the signed form AND all your documents without waiting to talk to the person, especially based on your work environment. VivaBanos is also correct in that if the stafer senses that you are all complaints but no real action (one paper letter or email but no actual phone calls), they WILL NOT put you on the front burner. I have worked extensively with politicians and their staffers in another job and can attest to this fact of life. If you go back thru VJ you will find that various members have been really really screwed by this consulate, adding up to a year to their wait. You must consider this in your decisions, and realize that you should not be passive in ANY WAY. we were lucky, because some very heads-up VJ members pre-alerted us before the interview, and we avoided their sorrows and delays.

One helpful thing we found out in advance was the professional history of the head of the consulate, which reveals his bias, which is obviously reflected in the bias of the staff. He is deeply interested and involved in issues concerning human trafficking. In other words, he wants to bust people who are paying someone to fake a relationship in order to get a visa. Wants to bust...maybe i should say, apparently he's got a hard-on. That's why you need to go overboard on the evidence and to be present for the interview.

As far as your ship schedule being unpredictable and limiting, you may need to take the bull by the horns and plan an interview when you are untouchable on leave in some way. I did not wait for them to call my husband for an appt, I MADE THE APPT myself, based on knowing that I could leave work fast at that time. I called and they offered the following week. I already knew what i would pay for plane tx so there was no hesitation. they will tell you you cant attend, just let that whopper fly, dont argue. its wrong. you may want to ask around on VJ and get other people's opinions, but personally, I would NOT risk scheduling a second interview unless I could definitely be there. If that means you wait 2 mo or whatever your tour is, then so be it. That's what i would do, anyways, but i dont know your whole situation.

:wacko:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Here is the latest since returning from sea. My wife received a call from the Consulate in Guayaquil to send the passports. The DNA test came back with correct results. Imagine that would you? The Consulate received them April 14, 2009. She was told they will receive the Visas in 8-10 business days. Great we thought. As of today, no visas ( May 5). I am in Quito, just returning late last week. I have called the consulate weekly to see what the hold up is. One week ago they sent an electronic form to the US State Dept for permission to print the Visas. I was told it would take one week. I called yesterday to the consulate and they said call back in 2 weeks. I exploded and demanded some answers. I stated I called 1 week ago, and was told to check in a week. I want to know why it was sent to the State Dept for approval. I was told it is classified. I said what??? It is my information. "I am sorry sir, but it is classified." I called the State Department, which yielded nothing. I called back to the consulate, and they told me they will try to put an immediate review on the request to the State Dept. I am hoping they get it done. The good thing is they need no more information from us.

Has anyone had to get State Dept approval?

Greg and Mabe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
The good thing is they need no more information from us.
Amazing, si man.
Has anyone had to get State Dept approval?
I've not heard of this, but it may be well worth your while to get a quick legal opinion. Go to http://www.fosterquan.com

and sign up for their e-mail consultation (VERY reasonable). Specifically request consultation from attorneys Mark Cross (himself a former vice-consul in Caracas) and J.J. Slater. Both are (by now, thanks to me and to my referrals) very familiar with the ongoing monkeyshines at Guayaquil. They can shed light on what might be up.

Foster & Quan is the largest immigration-law firm in Houston, and I have found them to be exceptionally capable. My buddies -- the poor, suffering bastards who have also had to deal with Guayaquil -- have received comfort and support from the firm. I would contact them in a hurry, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Another VJer is in Guayaquil to face his "joint" "marriage" interview (which, in Guayaquil-consulate-speak, is a Stokes interrogation) on Thursday (May 14). My wife and I have been trying to prepare him. Please pray.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Another VJer is in Guayaquil to face his "joint" "marriage" interview (which, in Guayaquil-consulate-speak, is a Stokes interrogation) on Thursday (May 14). My wife and I have been trying to prepare him. Please pray.

For those interested, I'm the person mentioned here. We were treated very unfairly but being extremely prepared and having tremendous amount of evidence (2000 pgs.) paid off. The Visa was approved on May 19 and was in my fiancee's hands on May 22. And she is coming next week (2nd week of June)!! Stand by for my review of this consulate. I'm going to unleash my furor and expose them to as many people as I can. Some of the things they did to us were unbelievable considering what is suppose to be a US Consulate.

Edited by Ed Hall

Timeline
I'm going to unleash my furor and expose them to as many people as I can.
SI, MAN.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
I am eagerly awaiting your review of the Guayaquil Consulate.
It's been approximately a year for us, and I'm still livid. If you wish to read between the lines, one of my attorneys (a past vice-consul in South America, himself) recommended filing an After-Visa Complaint with the Dept. of State, and also with the Consul General in Guayaquil.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Got a private e-mail today from a VJer who finally pried his visas from this hellhole. He suffered worse than most of the rest of us put together. I hope that he provides a detailed consular review and a score of Zero, si man.

June 30 was the one-year anniversary of my "joint" "marriage" interview (meaning Stokes interrogation), and I'm still just as livid.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*I am following up on a previous review (interview was November 2008 and case was put into administrative processing) regarding this consulate now that the visa has been issued.*

Where to start? I am so FIRED UP right now that I don't even feel like I want to submit a review of this circus (yes, you can hear the circus tune playing in the background right now) of a U.S. Consulate because of the RIDICULOUS hoops and UNETHICAL practices these bunch of gutless clowns put us through. Mind you, this wasn't a couple interactions we had with these jokers; they demonstrated through these interactions that this behavior was standard operational procedure for this dive. Let's just put it this way, the Registro Civil of Ecaudor provides better customer service than the Guayaquil Consulate (yes, I had to GO to the Civil Registro to "experience" getting a Cedula for our son in order for the Guayaquil Consulate's doctor to even do the DNA test that had been sitting in his office (of course the U.S. Consulate didn't tell us we needed the father's last name on the Cedula [or even that we NEEDED a cedula to DO the DNA test] on the paperwork they sent saying they needed the DNA test to prove our relationship). As Adam Sandler said in the Wedding Singer, "Once again, things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!"

They were complete arses all the way to the end. I guess I don't understand the logic in granting my son a United States Passport and declaring him to be a U.S. citizen (in May 2009) without seeing or requesting DNA test results to prove he is ours. However, the Immigrant Visa Department, INSISTS we need more, expensive ($750) evidence to prove he is ours to show that we really do have a "real relationship". All I have to say is that they have their heads so far up their asses on this one.

Memo to the consular officer who ran our case (Yes, in CAPS because I would SCREAM these words to your FACE if you had the GUTS to sign your name in any of the obtuse emails you sent and to even take ONE of my calls: YOU ARE VERY, VERY UNHAPPY WOMAN. PLEASE GET HELP. I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF FOR HAVING SUCH AN IMPORTANT JOB AND MAKING PEOPLE JUMP THROUGH AS MANY HOOPS AS YOU SEE FIT BECAUSE OF YOUR AWESOME POWERS. IT MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH THAT TAXPAYERS SUPPORT SACKS OF ####### LIKE YOU AND EVEN SICKER TO KNOW THAT OUR GOVERNMENT ALLOWS YOU TO KEEP A JOB. YOU LOST. WE WON. I TOLD YOU WE WOULDN'T QUIT. YOU DON'T CARE AND YOU DO A GOOD JOB OF THAT.

Even though this consulate screwed us over in more ways then most anyone I've seen on VJ, and we went through so much #######, I know this case isn't special; there are lots of poor souls that *thought* their government ran things efficiently and then the trap doors flew open and they found themselves falling through a seemingly endless maze of requirements that are made up by a mentally sick consular officer abusing the power given to her by our own government.

Overall, this place is a shoddy operation at best and at worst a downright embarrassment to the people of the United States of America who, in my humble opinion would be OUTRAGED to see it how it operates if they had to deal with and stomach its policies.

My advice to anyone who tries to get a K-1 Visa out of this place, tread cautiously and never make assumptions. Wait, scratch that. Make the assumption that they will lie to you and you will get treated like a shoplifter who is trying to return something they stole to the store they stole from. Assume that if you don't go to the interview, you will be made to be the star attraction in their circus and jump through the hoops, dance to their tune, and they might even pull out the pistola and start shooting at your feet telling you "Dance! I tell ya, Dance!" Assume that if you get a woman consular officer, that you might be dealing with the nutjob we got and that you're in for a big fight. Assume in all this that you will be treated with no respect and a lot of the information you need will not be given to you. Assume the position. :dance:

"You know, I learned something today"

-Kyle from South Park

Timeline
Overall, this place is a shoddy operation at best and at worst a downright embarrassment to the people of the United States of America who, in my humble opinion would be OUTRAGED to see it how it operates if they had to deal with and stomach its policies. (...) Assume the position.
SI, MAN, to every word, understatements though they are. Also, everyone who will face Guayaquil should read this thread, in the K-3 forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...05422&st=15

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Did any of you figure out why the VISA was denied because you weren't at the interview? Were they questioning the legitimacy of your intent to marry or something? This worries me as I am beginning the process for a K1 VISA and I know I won;t be able to be in Ecuador at the time of the interview. I don't think I will be able to be back in Ecuador until well after the initial interview would be set. I am trying to time everything so that we can be married here in the US late June 2010 or early July 2010.

Also, were your fiances tourist VISA's revoked during this period?

Timeline
Did any of you figure out why the VISA was denied because you weren't at the interview?
It's an unspoken yet completely mandatory requirement. Even if you are on your deathbed, be there, or the visa will be denied.

If you haven't filed the I-129F yet, how do you know NOW that you won't be able to attend the first interview? Begin to budget your time and funds for this now, because otherwise all of your petitioning and application efforts will be for naught.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Did any of you figure out why the VISA was denied because you weren't at the interview? Were they questioning the legitimacy of your intent to marry or something? This worries me as I am beginning the process for a K1 VISA and I know I won;t be able to be in Ecuador at the time of the interview. I don't think I will be able to be back in Ecuador until well after the initial interview would be set. I am trying to time everything so that we can be married here in the US late June 2010 or early July 2010.

Also, were your fiances tourist VISA's revoked during this period?

Dan,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will not get your visa if you are not there. Re-evaluate your schedule and go to Plan B. This forum is not about just one or two people, oddball cases, who got the shaft, it's a lot more than that. It's a track record. Sorry to sound harsh, I certainly don't mean to be, but if at this time you don't plan on showing up-- well, why drag yourself and your fiance through all that? You will not get the visa, period, and you will attract so much extra scrutiny to your case from that point on.

I just re-read the part you wrote about the timing. Look, if you time it so you dont show up you get nothing, no wedding in the US in June. So here is a thought. Dont worry about timing it. Whenever your fiance gets here, just get a courthouse marriage license and plan the real wedding for whenever. Dont worry about that 90 day window. Yes you have to marry within 90 days, no it doesnt have to be the big event. Just get the license so it's legal.

All the best, and keep us posted!

4.25.08: sent K-1 application

4.28.08: NOA1

5.14.08: touched

9.25.08: touched

9.26.08: touched

9.26.08: NOA2

10.2.08: at NVC, letter says our application will be sent to Guayaquil in one week

10.9.08: spoke with consulate, they have our case

10.13.08: Doctor's appointment

10.20.08: Interview READ THE REVIEWS!

10.30.08: entry: Los Angeles

11.12.08: marriage

11.25.08: applied for Social Security card. READ THE vj GUIDE!

12.3.08: packet and letter for interview arrived at fiance's mail in Ecuador- for 10.20 interview! ha ha!

12.5.08: received SS card in mail

1.9.09: sent AOS/EAD/AP applications

2.10.09: Biometrics appt, Sacramento CA

3.15.09: AP recieved in mail

3.26.09: EAD recieved in mail

3.26.09: AOS interview, Sacramento, CA

4.09.09: Permanent Resident card received in mail

3.11.11: Mailed I-751 to CSC

3.14.11: I-751 received by CSC per USPS tracking

3.14.11: NOA date (received in mail on 3.19) one year extension

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.