BlakeandOlha

Why cant we just pick up the visa?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Thank you for your response, your insights were very helpful. To answer your question, we are not looking to fly directly from Kyiv once the visa is issued. Here is the sequence of events that I have in mind (if it were a perfect world): I would arrive in Kyiv two days before the interview as would my girl. (day 1) She will be bringing her six year old son with her. The day before the interview she will have her medical exam (Day 2) The next morning we go to the embassy and have the interview (Day 3) The next day we would hopefully be able to pick up the visa and head back to Zaporozhje that night. (Day 4) Days 5 & 6 would be spent saying our goodbyes and packing up. Day 7 we all board the morning flight from Zaporozhje to Kyiv and on to the US. Timing is an important consideration for her son and his starting of school in the US - I don't want him to miss too much.

If there is no way for me to get the visa the next day then... I would still go to be with her at the medical and interview, but then would accompany her down to Zaporozhje where I would sit for up to two weeks. I have no idea when to plan the return trip (buying tickets etc.) under this scenario. The medical, the interview, and the flight are all very significant events in her life, her son's life, and in my life - I want to be with her every step of the way. If my perfect world scenario is possible, then I can go the entire route with her. I also do not think my employer will be all that happy with a 18-20 day absence, and obviously, I have to keep them happy as well.

I hope this clarifies my thinking. Thanks again for your post.

It's gonna be tough. I'd recommend for your fiancee to call the Consulate and ask the question. She'd pay for her call but at least you'll have some info. Or, you know what? Send an email. People on the phone are rather useless. I emailed a question about the police certificate (I lived in US for five years and wasn't sure if I needed one from there) and in about 5-6 days I had a clear answer to my questions (which I didn't get from the people at Call Center.) The email is KyivIV@state.gov. If you ask and still cannot pick up your visa the next day after the interview, may be you'd be able to pick it up on your way back from Zaporozhje. It will make it impossible for you to fly from Zaporozhje to Kyiv and then to just transfer to the flight to US though. You'd rather take a train, stop by the Embassy, and then take a taxi to the aiport. That's annoying but could be an option, too.

Since your fiancee has a son, make sure that all required documents are translated and notarized if required. While waiting for my interview yesterday, I saw a couple of women with children who claimed that they didn't know that documents must be translated, etc., which I don't beleive was true. Just have all your paperwork in perfect order, and your application forms filled properly. They love it organized indeed! And let me give you piece of advice about the medical. They say it's open from 9am to 12pm. Come as early as you can, 9am it is! There is a long line. I came 10.40 and was the last they could register that day. There was a woman whose interview was next day and she was freaking out that she wouldn' be able to finish it in time. They keep doing test after 12pm as well, but the registration closes at that time, so it's better to be there earlier.

I know it's a long way till the inteview but it'll be fine. Good luck:)!

AOS

04-16-2008: AOS package Sent to Chicago via Express Mail

05-13-2008: Biometrics

05-22-2008: AOS trasfered to CSC

06-13/17-2008: EAD Approved (2 CRIS email)

06-18/19-2008: AOS touch

06-20-2008: EAD Approval Notice Sent (email)

06-23-2008: EAD in mail

06-23-2008: Another EAD touch (9AM), EAD IN MAIL (1PM)

07-14-2008: I-485 Card Production Ordered

07-21-2008: Green Card in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Since your fiancee has a son, make sure that all required documents are translated and notarized if required. While waiting for my interview yesterday, I saw a couple of women with children who claimed that they didn't know that documents must be translated, etc., which I don't beleive was true. Just have all your paperwork in perfect order, and your application forms filled properly. They love it organized indeed! And let me give you piece of advice about the medical. They say it's open from 9am to 12pm. Come as early as you can, 9am it is! There is a long line. I came 10.40 and was the last they could register that day. There was a woman whose interview was next day and she was freaking out that she wouldn' be able to finish it in time. They keep doing test after 12pm as well, but the registration closes at that time, so it's better to be there earlier.

Thanks, I've sent an e-mail - just waiting for a response. Thanks also for the advice on the medical - I read somewhere earlier that it didn't make much of a difference. I'll post what I hear back from the embassy.

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks, I've sent an e-mail - just waiting for a response. Thanks also for the advice on the medical - I read somewhere earlier that it didn't make much of a difference. I'll post what I hear back from the embassy.

Please, let me know what the Embassy replies. I got my passport today. I got a call from the Embassy yesterday and was told that they'd lost one of my little photos from the application form. They asked if I still had a copy of the same picture and I said 'yes'. They offered me to come over today, to bring the photo, and, in return, they'd give me my passport with visa. So, I got it today! I bought a plane ticket too - Feb23 I'm going home :dance: !!!

AOS

04-16-2008: AOS package Sent to Chicago via Express Mail

05-13-2008: Biometrics

05-22-2008: AOS trasfered to CSC

06-13/17-2008: EAD Approved (2 CRIS email)

06-18/19-2008: AOS touch

06-20-2008: EAD Approval Notice Sent (email)

06-23-2008: EAD in mail

06-23-2008: Another EAD touch (9AM), EAD IN MAIL (1PM)

07-14-2008: I-485 Card Production Ordered

07-21-2008: Green Card in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I read in one of the blogs about Kiev embassy, they use FEDEX to deliver the passports, and it takes less than 4 days for you to receive it, but someone must be at home at the time FEDEX shows up and the beneficiary's ID must be presented to the FEDEX guy for him to hand the envelope. Don't worry, US Consulate in Kiev does not use ukranian postal services for that, just FEDEX, and you'll be asked to go to a FEDEX window inside the embassy to pay the shipping fee once the visa is approved. Be sure you write down the FEDEX tracking # once you pay the fee, that way you can track it online.

Hope this helps you.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Please, let me know what the Embassy replies. I got my passport today. I got a call from the Embassy yesterday and was told that they'd lost one of my little photos from the application form. They asked if I still had a copy of the same picture and I said 'yes'. They offered me to come over today, to bring the photo, and, in return, they'd give me my passport with visa. So, I got it today! I bought a plane ticket too - Feb23 I'm going home :dance: !!!

Congrats!!!! :dance:

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.