BlakeandOlha

Why cant we just pick up the visa?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Since I'm at the beginning of the long wait for the NOA2, I have little to do but look forward to the interview and visa approval many months from now. Generally I read that the embassy will take the passport from the fiance(e), put the stamp in the visa, and then send it either by courrier or some express delivery service to the fiance(e)s residence. I also see that this takes between 7 to 14 days. I am planning on going to Kiev to be with my fiance for her interview, and am wondering whether we can just wait in Kiev until the visa's been applied to her passport and then pick it up?

We intend on moving her back to the US as soon as the visa is received, and I will be travelling with her. She does not live in Kiev but in a city in the south of the Ukraine, and anyone who has experience with Ukrainian postal services (yes even priority mail) knows timely delivery is a crapshoot to begin with. It would just be so much easier if we could pick up the visa at the embassy the next day instead.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Some embassies will allow visa pick up. You can call the embassy and ask them.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This was the case at one time but to the best of my knowledge Kiev does not allow for personal pick-up any more...

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
This was the case at one time but to the best of my knowledge Kiev does not allow for personal pick-up any more...

Oh well, there you go. I guess it is not the same across the board.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

Oh well, there you go. I guess it is not the same across the board.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

Timeline
There is no harm in asking at your interview. You may very well get a receptive officer. Just explain the situation and ask if it's a possibility. It never hurts to ask. (I know this from experience.) :thumbs:

Good idea, I'm also wondering if it has to be sent to her residence - if we stay in Kiev an extra day or two then perhaps they can just courrier it over to our apartment. Time is somewhat important because I only have so much vacation, and would like to have some days left for a honeymoon :blush:

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
There is no harm in asking at your interview. You may very well get a receptive officer. Just explain the situation and ask if it's a possibility. It never hurts to ask. (I know this from experience.) :thumbs:

Good idea, I'm also wondering if it has to be sent to her residence - if we stay in Kiev an extra day or two then perhaps they can just courrier it over to our apartment. Time is somewhat important because I only have so much vacation, and would like to have some days left for a honeymoon :blush:

It gets sent to whatever address you put on the courier delivery ticket.... The downside is that the adressee must be present when delivery is tendered because they ask for identification....

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It gets sent to whatever address you put on the courier delivery ticket.... The downside is that the adressee must be present when delivery is tendered because they ask for identification....

It's worth a try to attemt to make a special arrrangement in advance. In China, they'll courier it to the province of the Consulate but all others must pick theirs up at the post office near the Consulate, the second or third day after approval. Some are actually available the next day. The procedure varies widely, so it stands to reason the Consulate has the discretion to make a special arrangement.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey guys, thank you for the greetings! It's very sweet of you. It was a great day for me and I'm very happny now:)

About your question, I'll tell you this. At my medical, I met a girl who had an interview in Kiev two weeks before mine (she's from South, too, as I am, and as your girl:) Her fiance flew from US to accompany her as well. She said that next day after the interview the Embassy called her up and said that they couldn't find some documents she had submitted, so she needed to go back and to bring some copies of them. Her fiance goes with her, they talk to the Consulate Officer, and it's agreed that her passport with visa would be ready by next ready. So, they go and pick it up next day. Apparently, it can be arranged.

After my experience today, I gotta tell you that it's possible to talk to them and ask. Do it right away though, at your interview, explain your situation. I'm sure they get requests like that from time to time. If you need the answer beforehand, you'd probably call the Call Center and ask this question about delivery. Bad news that they charge for any single minute you talk to them, but what can we do?

About up to ten business days to process and deliver the passport with visa, it sucks of course! I'm wondering though, would your fiancee be coming to Kiev with all her stuff she'd be flying to the states? It sounds that after the interview she's not planning to return home but fly to America? It's a tricky one because you'd think of buying a ticket and you wouldn't know about the date until after the interview. Also, the medical. She'll need to have it done prior to the interview - most of applicants come to Kiev one or two day before the interview to do that - with the previous appointment of course.

Good luck to you! The journey is long and excited! I hope that yours goes as fast as our did:)!

masha

AOS

04-16-2008: AOS package Sent to Chicago via Express Mail

05-13-2008: Biometrics

05-22-2008: AOS trasfered to CSC

06-13/17-2008: EAD Approved (2 CRIS email)

06-18/19-2008: AOS touch

06-20-2008: EAD Approval Notice Sent (email)

06-23-2008: EAD in mail

06-23-2008: Another EAD touch (9AM), EAD IN MAIL (1PM)

07-14-2008: I-485 Card Production Ordered

07-21-2008: Green Card in mail

Timeline

Thank you for your response, your insights were very helpful. To answer your question, we are not looking to fly directly from Kyiv once the visa is issued. Here is the sequence of events that I have in mind (if it were a perfect world): I would arrive in Kyiv two days before the interview as would my girl. (day 1) She will be bringing her six year old son with her. The day before the interview she will have her medical exam (Day 2) The next morning we go to the embassy and have the interview (Day 3) The next day we would hopefully be able to pick up the visa and head back to Zaporozhje that night. (Day 4) Days 5 & 6 would be spent saying our goodbyes and packing up. Day 7 we all board the morning flight from Zaporozhje to Kyiv and on to the US. Timing is an important consideration for her son and his starting of school in the US - I don't want him to miss too much.

If there is no way for me to get the visa the next day then... I would still go to be with her at the medical and interview, but then would accompany her down to Zaporozhje where I would sit for up to two weeks. I have no idea when to plan the return trip (buying tickets etc.) under this scenario. The medical, the interview, and the flight are all very significant events in her life, her son's life, and in my life - I want to be with her every step of the way. If my perfect world scenario is possible, then I can go the entire route with her. I also do not think my employer will be all that happy with a 18-20 day absence, and obviously, I have to keep them happy as well.

I hope this clarifies my thinking. Thanks again for your post.

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

Timeline

Oh yes, I looked at your timeline - Congratulations to YOU!!!!! :dance:

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Just curious.. what happens if you are NOT there when the visa is delivered? My fiance works all day and will most likely not be home when they come to deliver it.

Thanks!

Jennifer :)

OUR VISA JOURNEY

12/16/05 My honey and I met online

04/27/06 to 5/14/07 We met for the first time in person

10/16/06 to 1/15/07 He visits for a second time

04/04/07 We get engaged!

05/29/07 K1 Application arrived at CSC

07/21/07 to 9/15/07 He visits for a third time

09/19/07 APPROVAL from CSC

11/16/07 NVC received petition

Petition is put under Administrative Processing

12/28/07 AP DONE! YAY! Off to the Consulate!

01/02/08 Consulate received and packet 3 sent

01/04/08 My honey gets packet 3

01/09/08 Medical Appointment *PASSED*

01/09/08 Packet 3 Returned

01/23/08 8:30 AM INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!!!!

01/23/08 Placed BACK on Administrative Processing (221g)

02/01/08 WE WERE APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!

02/06/08 VISA arrives!!!!!!!

04/01/08 My honey arrives in the US!

WEDDING DATE: 04/27/08!

AOS:

05/22/08 Package sent

06/02/08 Got all 3 NOA's

6/21/08 Biometrics

7/12/08 RFE: want 12 months of bank statements

7/16/08 mailed statements

7/22/08 statements received

10/10/08 AP received

10/15/08 Work Permit received

1/24/09 Green Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

So then you'd have to go to the consulate to get it?

OUR VISA JOURNEY

12/16/05 My honey and I met online

04/27/06 to 5/14/07 We met for the first time in person

10/16/06 to 1/15/07 He visits for a second time

04/04/07 We get engaged!

05/29/07 K1 Application arrived at CSC

07/21/07 to 9/15/07 He visits for a third time

09/19/07 APPROVAL from CSC

11/16/07 NVC received petition

Petition is put under Administrative Processing

12/28/07 AP DONE! YAY! Off to the Consulate!

01/02/08 Consulate received and packet 3 sent

01/04/08 My honey gets packet 3

01/09/08 Medical Appointment *PASSED*

01/09/08 Packet 3 Returned

01/23/08 8:30 AM INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!!!!

01/23/08 Placed BACK on Administrative Processing (221g)

02/01/08 WE WERE APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!

02/06/08 VISA arrives!!!!!!!

04/01/08 My honey arrives in the US!

WEDDING DATE: 04/27/08!

AOS:

05/22/08 Package sent

06/02/08 Got all 3 NOA's

6/21/08 Biometrics

7/12/08 RFE: want 12 months of bank statements

7/16/08 mailed statements

7/22/08 statements received

10/10/08 AP received

10/15/08 Work Permit received

1/24/09 Green Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.