ILoveTan

To hire a LAWYER or not to hire a LAWYER...that is the ???

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Do you know what they call the guy who graduated at the bottom of his class from law school?

A lawyer.

When you hire an attorney for anything, you should interview them and check their credentials. Lawyers specialize in certain fields much like medical doctors do. I can guarantee you some of the 'horror stories' you read on VJ are from people who hired the wrong attorney. Of course the flip side is the attorney should not have taken that case if immigration were not their specialty, but some of them can't resist trying to make a buck.

Get references. Ask if they specialize in FAMILY immigration. Ask how many cases they have processed before. Ask if they have had denials and how they have handled that. Ask about their prior job history (some immi attornies have worked for the State Department or have staff who has). Ask if they belong to any professional organizations who support immigration law. Ask who will handle the daily paperwork of the file and how experienced that person is.

Don't treat lawyers like they are above you or beyond question. They put their pants on the same way you do - one leg at a time.

Edited by rebeccajo

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

In my 4 months or so on this site I have noticed that this is a "hot button" topic. Obviously each case is different, but HCMC appears to be a bit different as well. I have been told representation there runs $500.00 to $1000.00. For that you have someone on the ground who has experience dealing with the people there. The paperwork on this end appears to be relatively straightforward, or as straightforward as a bureaucracy will allow it to be. In my case I plan to submit the required paperwork, see what happens, and retain representation if necessary. It sounds like your situation is the exact opposite, with you living in Viet Nam already. That should be a major plus, although I remember reading one other case on here that still had problems even though he was living there. That guy even went so far as to invite the powers that be over for dinner so see him and his wife in a "domestic state". Being fluent in Vietnamese sure doesn't hurt your case either. Good luck!

Edited by WideAwakeInTheUSA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

"Hot button", for sure.

Seems that the folks the most fired up about lawyers are those who didn't bother to hire one.

Go listen to some free beats:

http://beatbasement.com/bb.htm

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

i paid an agency to file my k1 petition and they made 3 mistakes. they never told me there would be another process coming after the embassy sends out a packet. so i panicked and started calling immigration lawyers. i couldnt afford all the costs along with traveling to see my fiancee so i happen to stumble on to this site and im pretty confident that i have everything ready for the interview process and ready for the aos once that comes along too. so just like everyone else...dont use one and save that money for more important things unless you have certain issues that cant be resolved by yourself that is. good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.