MikaG

When Did The US Embassy In Barbados STOP Being Non-Resident Friendly?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

I've read on numerous sites including VJ that Barbados is non-resident friendly.

Even on 'How To Apply' page on the Embassy's site it states that:

If the American citizen sponsor is physically present in our consular district, he or she may file the petition with us for their spouse, parent, or unmarried child under the age of 21.

http://barbados.usembassy.gov/apply.html

But then on the 'Visa Petitions' page on the Embassy's site it states that:

Barbados will once again accept petitions for immediate relative immigrant classifications from American citizens who are resident in the Embassy's consular district.

http://barbados.usembassy.gov/visa_petitions.html

I called the embassy and they said that the US citizen has to be a resident in the consular's district for 6 months! All this time I thought that "physically present" meant that the US Citizen just had to be on the island to submit the petition in person to the consular :unsure:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The Department of State has always had the minimum 6 mos. residency rule but what was lacking was consistent application of this rule from consulate to consulate as you could get a waiver of this rule. About 1 year or so ago, the Department of State put out a message that the 6 mos. minimum rule will now be enforced by all consulates worldwide, in essence no exceptions, no waivers.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Timeline
The Department of State has always had the minimum 6 mos. residency rule but what was lacking was consistent application of this rule from consulate to consulate as you could get a waiver of this rule. About 1 year or so ago, the Department of State put out a message that the 6 mos. minimum rule will now be enforced by all consulates worldwide, in essence no exceptions, no waivers.

There you go. thanks for the precise info!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

Thanks for the info. I called the embassy again today just to make sure the rule really had been changed. And I was told once again that I have to be a resident for six months.

They went on to say that in the past the US citizen didn't need to be a resident but the rules changed last year.

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for the info. I called the embassy again today just to make sure the rule really had been changed. And I was told once again that I have to be a resident for six months.

They went on to say that in the past the US citizen didn't need to be a resident but the rules changed last year.

Indeed the rules have changed (they seem to do this changing dance out of boredom or pure evil). Good luck!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.