sereia

weddings in MENA

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Did any of you have a full-on wedding in a MENA country? I mean the party, dresses, dancing, the whole nine yards! How did you plan it from the US? Did you let your MIL and family plan it for you or did you have some sort of participation? Post photos too if you want to share any! Your dress, cake, party, location, whatever! :)

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well almost. We planned to get married before I went there. We planned the whole thing actually, ok well he did :blush: He would call me and send photos sometimes and ask me my opinion but for the most part he did everything. Then when I got to Jordan, the church wouldnt allow us to marry (we even had a date set) and thats when the entire plan changed to engagement.

As far as dresses go, I was going to rent mine there as most brides do in Jordan. In the end, I'm glad we had it here because everyone deserves to be Bridezilla. :whistle:

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yeah we had the whole thing as well....i let his family plan the whole thing...we just didn't have the exact date so we planned the actual ''party'' 2 weeks after we actually were married so that they had time to rent the place and hire the beautician, print invitations, etc. I actually bought my dress here and took it with me (i was afraid that my plus size selections would be limited there)...hehe

AOS---Mailed 6/6/2008

Check cashed---6/16/2008

Noa's received--6/18/2008 (date of 6/13/2008)

Biometrics appt--7/9/2008

RFE's received--7/12/2008

Resubmitted information--8/11/2008

EAD Card production ordered--10/2/2008

EAD approved--10/10/2008

Work card received in mail--10/11/2008

Applied for SSN--10/15/2008

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

WOW very nice!

Yeah we had the whole thing as well....i let his family plan the whole thing...we just didn't have the exact date so we planned the actual ''party'' 2 weeks after we actually were married so that they had time to rent the place and hire the beautician, print invitations, etc. I actually bought my dress here and took it with me (i was afraid that my plus size selections would be limited there)...hehe

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

well...this brings back memories :D haha

we kind of coordinated it through phone calls and calling different people (reception place, couffeur, etc)...but his family planned the majority of it :) i mean we made the appointments and such about 6 months in advance which worked out well el hamdulillah :) but it was tough trying to find a reception place to rent out in a hotel (a "qa3ah" as we call it) because many of them are booked...especially in the winter time AND on any Thursday (many weddings take place on Thursdays in Egypt and other places in the Middle East) :) i bought my dress here in the US...we have like 10 bridal stores around us...so I figured it would be easier to go with what is familiar rather than what is not...but the dresses overseas are BEAUTIFUL and WAAAAAAAAAAAY more extravagant mashAllah :) haha it kinda made me wish i had waited :) good luck planning the wedding though!! :) i am sure it will be great inshAllah (L)

here is a link to two pictures of me and my hubby... i will try to post more pics later :) enjoy :)

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...048789_1202.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...048800_4657.jpg

and jade...MASHALLAH you two look incredible!!!!!!!!! :) habibty you two are a lovely couple mashAllah and may you be reunited very soon! :)(F)

whatever it takes...or how my heart breaks...i will be right here waiting for you... 636.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

:luv: I (L) them!

we kind of coordinated it through phone calls and calling different people (reception place, couffeur, etc)...but his family planned the majority of it :) i mean we made the appointments and such about 6 months in advance which worked out well el hamdulillah :) but it was tough trying to find a reception place to rent out in a hotel (a "qa3ah" as we call it) because many of them are booked...especially in the winter time AND on any Thursday (many weddings take place on Thursdays in Egypt and other places in the Middle East) :) i bought my dress here in the US...we have like 10 bridal stores around us...so I figured it would be easier to go with what is familiar rather than what is not...but the dresses overseas are BEAUTIFUL and WAAAAAAAAAAAY more extravagant mashAllah :) haha it kinda made me wish i had waited :) good luck planning the wedding though!! :) i am sure it will be great inshAllah (L)

here is a link to two pictures of me and my hubby... i will try to post more pics later :) enjoy :)

and jade...MASHALLAH you two look incredible!!!!!!!!! :) habibty you two are a lovely couple mashAllah and may you be reunited very soon! :)(F)

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

oh and let me just say it is always fun to meet 200 or so people you have met maybe once or twice and cannot figure out their names...not to mention the loads of relatives (mashAllah) lol especially when watching the wedding video :D ahhh the memories :) lol

whatever it takes...or how my heart breaks...i will be right here waiting for you... 636.gif

Timeline

masha Allah on the brides we have here:D jade and dilly u both look soo beautiful :thumbs: ....

Well since my husband has no idea about how weddings are like in egypt he left it all to me!!!:D:D:D which is already the normal thing for the bride to plan it and have it the way she always dreamt she wd but ofcourse i made sure i explained everything to him and made him choose when it came to things that i can show him online n stuff..i got everything ready in one month and i designed my own dress and got it tailored for me so it saved a lot of time looking around... And al hamdulillah him n his family LOVED the wedding :innocent: i was thrilled for their happiness more than for mine becoz it was his family's first visit and it was specially for the wedding so i was really nervous....

i wd post a pic. but im sowwy i get worried about public posts like that. :unsure:

lyrics.jpg

Filed: Timeline
oh and let me just say it is always fun to meet 200 or so people you have met maybe once or twice and cannot figure out their names...not to mention the loads of relatives (mashAllah) lol especially when watching the wedding video :D ahhh the memories :) lol

yes the whole deal...more for his family...it was a huge deal

Algeria040.jpg

Algeria072.jpg

you ladies look gorgeous, lucky men! :thumbs:

I don't like big weddings but my husband wanted one so they did a big wedding back home and we will do a big one here also because my aba spoils me too much :hehe::blush:

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

ohhhh so sweet :)

yes the whole deal...more for his family...it was a huge deal

Algeria040.jpg

Algeria072.jpg

soo very cool thanks for sharing

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Timeline
wow you ladies look absolutely gorgeous in your gowns!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

Beautiful! :)

I didn't have a wedding, but it would have been nice. I dressed in all white the day we made it official, but was running around alot that day so I made sure I was comfortable :blush: A friend tried to thow me a wedding 2 weeks later when my parents came, but only 8 people showed up :lol: I'm still new here and don't know that many people, oh well.

It would be nice to have one in Egypt, but I think he's going back alone for 1 week when he gets his AP (inshalla) and I don't know when we will have the money to go again.

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We're supposed to have a wedding when we go back to Morocco with my family next year. To be honest, I'd really rather not...I'm not big on all of the hoopla and attention. But I'm sure it will be memorable.

Timeline

We didnt' do anything at all except get married. lol. That was stressful in and of itself. I do want to do something here when he gets here but I don't know what to do. I'm not even sure if the imam at our mosque would do a renewel or whatever. Maybe I'll ask him. I always just figured this is my second time around and I did the whole big dress at my first wedding but now I'm starting to wish I had something big planned.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.