Rob1980

Drivers License in PA

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'm having no luck on finding out what I need to do to get my drivers license here? I've been to the DMV website, which says how to apply for a new license, but talks about proving citizenship, etc. The sites not very easy to navigate, and I can't find anything about what immigrants need to do. I've had a UK license since 1998.

Anybody know or can point me in the right direction?

I'd much rather not have to get a car at all, but a job I just applied for would make it pretty much necessary.

"Open up and you'll feel alive, these are your times and my highs."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

i dont know about your state laws but i live in michigan and my husband is from england he got his michigan drivers licence with no prob but they jus past law here in michigan few weeks ago that if you are not legal you may not get one, all we had to do was show marriage licence , passport , uk licence , and residence in michigan which he got a bank account and they gave him one. hope that helps a lil

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Its all there, 2 clicks:

Obtaining Your Original Learner's Permit

An initial Learner's Permit is issued to any individual, 16 years of age or older, who has never been licensed to operate a vehicle, a new resident who has never been licensed, or a new resident who has been licensed in another state but whose driver's license has been expired longer than 6 months. If you are a new resident to PA, please visit our New Resident information page.

Process:

Step 1:

Acquire a Pennsylvania Driver's Manual from a local Driver License Center, or on this Web site.

Step 2:

Have a physician, physician assistant, certified registered nurse practitioner or chiropractor conduct a physical examination and complete Form DL-180 "Medical Qualification Certificate".

Step 3:

Visit a Driver License Center with:

The completed DL-180

The completed DL-180TD (if under the age 18). This form must be completed by a parent, guardian, or spouse who is 18 years of age or older.

Proof of identity, which is listed on reverse side of DL-180. Note: If you are changing your name, you must present original documents supporting name changes such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.

Two acceptable proofs of residency, listed on reverse side of DL-180, if you are 18 years of age or older. Proof of residency is not required if you are age 16 or 17.

Your Social Security card.

A check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee. (Cash is not accepted.)

Step 4:

An eye screening and Knowledge Test will be given. Once passed, a Learner's Permit will be issued. The Learner's Permit will be valid for one year. If you are under age 18, a six-month waiting period and 50 hours behind the wheel driving experience is required prior to taking the skills test.

Step 5:

Schedule a road test either online or by calling 1-800-423-5542

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Its all there, 2 clicks:

An initial Learner's Permit is issued to any individual, 16 years of age or older, who has never been licensed to operate a vehicle, a new resident who has never been licensed, or a new resident who has been licensed in another state but whose driver's license has been expired longer than 6 months. If you are a new resident to PA, please visit our New Resident information page.

Process:

Step 1:

Acquire a Pennsylvania Driver's Manual from a local Driver License Center, or on this Web site.

Step 2:

Have a physician, physician assistant, certified registered nurse practitioner or chiropractor conduct a physical examination and complete Form DL-180 "Medical Qualification Certificate".

Step 3:

Visit a Driver License Center with:

The completed DL-180

The completed DL-180TD (if under the age 18). This form must be completed by a parent, guardian, or spouse who is 18 years of age or older.

Proof of identity, which is listed on reverse side of DL-180. Note: If you are changing your name, you must present original documents supporting name changes such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.

Two acceptable proofs of residency, listed on reverse side of DL-180, if you are 18 years of age or older. Proof of residency is not required if you are age 16 or 17.

Your Social Security card.

A check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee. (Cash is not accepted.)

Step 4:

An eye screening and Knowledge Test will be given. Once passed, a Learner's Permit will be issued. The Learner's Permit will be valid for one year. If you are under age 18, a six-month waiting period and 50 hours behind the wheel driving experience is required prior to taking the skills test.

Step 5:

Schedule a road test either online or by calling 1-800-423-5542

Thats it exactly Boiler.....its very easy here in Philadelphia

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Timeline

I'm none of those things though? I've been 'licensed to operate a vehicle' since 1998, just in the UK!

I've read a bit about other people getting licenses, in other states, and they were treated as if they already had a license. I can't find anything that specifically mentions immigrants.

PS. I found that on the PennDot site, linked from the DMV one, and when I went to the New Resident page nothing seemed applicable on there!

Do I really have to, basically, start over?

I'm having no luck on finding out what I need to do to get my drivers license here? I've been to the DMV website, which says how to apply for a new license, but talks about proving citizenship, etc. The sites not very easy to navigate, and I can't find anything about what immigrants need to do. I've had a UK license since 1998.

Anybody know or can point me in the right direction?

I'd much rather not have to get a car at all, but a job I just applied for would make it pretty much necessary.

Others have told you what you need to do, I just though I would add my own recent experiences.

You would do best to read the manual before you apply for a learner's permit. I didn't know when I went for a learner's permit in PA that I would have to do the computerised knowledge tesat right there and then. I was lucky I passed it as I was planning to pick up a manual after I for my permit. Your UK licence is irrelevant, you will need your green card and proof of your address, either your lease or your mortgage doccuments will do.

The actual driving test here surprisedme, parallel parking was the only bit that was a problem (you do get 3 tries though), I didn't have to do that in the UK when I took my test back in the olden days. The rest of the test was basically a drive around the block, they will fail for if you don't come to an actual stop at stop signs, they will fail you for edging out from a stop sign to get a better view. Other than that it's hard to mess up. I was able to apply online for my test date and print out my appoinment details right away as soon as I had my permit. All in all it took me 18 days from getting my permit to passing my test.

Timeline
Others have told you what you need to do, I just though I would add my own recent experiences.

You would do best to read the manual before you apply for a learner's permit. I didn't know when I went for a learner's permit in PA that I would have to do the computerised knowledge tesat right there and then. I was lucky I passed it as I was planning to pick up a manual after I for my permit. Your UK licence is irrelevant, you will need your green card and proof of your address, either your lease or your mortgage doccuments will do.

So I basically have to start from scratch, as if I've never driven?

Okay, well in that case I have to go and have a medical? I have no Dr, and no health insurance, we can't afford it. I've looked at the form it says you need to get a Dr to fill in... it asks if I am an alcoholic for one thing! How is a Dr I've not seen, and who doesn't have any records, going to answer that one?

This seems extremely daft. I also don't have my name on the mortgage, or any of the bills, the only proof of my address is what was sent to me by INS, and the SSA. They don't list those as acceptable forms of proof either.

The really ridiculous thing here is that I have actually driven here already, we have rented a car twice. I drove most of the way back from South Carolina, which was a 13 hour journey! That was okay, we checked and I was fine with my UK license. Can I still drive on that for now, until I get a PA one?

The actual driving test here surprisedme, parallel parking was the only bit that was a problem (you do get 3 tries though), I didn't have to do that in the UK when I took my test back in the olden days. The rest of the test was basically a drive around the block, they will fail for if you don't come to an actual stop at stop signs, they will fail you for edging out from a stop sign to get a better view. Other than that it's hard to mess up. I was able to apply online for my test date and print out my appoinment details right away as soon as I had my permit. All in all it took me 18 days from getting my permit to passing my test.

Okay, well that's good news at least. :blink:

Edited by Rob1980

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

i believe your UK license is good for the 90 same days that your I-94 is good for...someone correct me if i'm wrong...

02/01/08 I-129F off to VSC!

02/02/08 VSC Received, signed by P Novak 12:02pm

02/05/08 VSC Cash Check and issue NOA1(online)

02/08/08 Touched

02/09/08 NOA1 received in mail

02/11/08 Touched

02/12/08 Touched

02/15/08 Touched

02/24/08 Touched

05/01/08 NOA2 (email)

05/02/08 Touched

05/06/08 NVC received

05/08/08 Hardcopy NOA2

05/08/08 Left NVC London bound!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

So I basically have to start from scratch, as if I've never driven?

Okay, well in that case I have to go and have a medical? I have no Dr, and no health insurance, we can't afford it. I've looked at the form it says you need to get a Dr to fill in... it asks if I am an alcoholic for one thing! How is a Dr I've not seen, and who doesn't have any records, going to answer that one?

This seems extremely daft. I also don't have my name on the mortgage, or any of the bills, the only proof of my address is what was sent to me by INS, and the SSA. They don't list those as acceptable forms of proof either.

The really ridiculous thing here is that I have actually driven here already, we have rented a car twice. I drove most of the way back from South Carolina, which was a 13 hour journey! That was okay, we checked and I was fine with my UK license. Can I still drive on that for now, until I get a PA one?

Okay, well that's good news at least. :blink:

We live in PA (outside of Philly) ...hubby was almost 50 y/o when he went to get his PA d/l...He drove in the UK from age 17...they made him start over like he never drove before !!!!!

He drove for a while on his UK license, longer than he should have, because PA won't let you apply for a d/l without a social security number. When he got his SSN and EAD he got his PA d/l but the had it expire when the EAD expired. He had to renew it when he got his green card.

If you have any questions...feel free to ask.

Bette

You can drive on your UK licence for 1 year.

I dont know what you can do if you cant get to see a dr. Have you called any to see how much they would charge for doing the form. They might be able to tell you what you can do if you cant afford to pay.

Good luck

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Timeline

Same for me, except no parallel park, I had to do that on a hill in the UK, many years ago.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I dont know what you can do if you cant get to see a dr. Have you called any to see how much they would charge for doing the form. They might be able to tell you what you can do if you cant afford to pay.

Good luck

It varies by State, but the PA DMV suggests its 60 days.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_residents/d...r_license.shtml

Assuming you are a Resident for this purpose.

Timeline
We live in PA (outside of Philly) ...hubby was almost 50 y/o when he went to get his PA d/l...He drove in the UK from age 17...they made him start over like he never drove before !!!!!

He drove for a while on his UK license, longer than he should have, because PA won't let you apply for a d/l without a social security number. When he got his SSN and EAD he got his PA d/l but the had it expire when the EAD expired. He had to renew it when he got his green card.

Bette

Just 1... did he have to get a form filled in by a Dr?

That's the bit that has got me annoyed. This is taken from the form and are the questions a Dr has to answer:

1. Neurological disorders such as to prevent reasonable control of a motor vehicle?

2. Any Cardiac or Circulatory disorder including Hypertension such as to prevent reasonable control of a motor vehicle?

3. Neuropsychiatric disorders such as to prevent reasonable control of a motor vehicle?

4. Conditions causing repeated lapses of consciousness, e.g. epilepsy, narcolepsy, hysteria, etc.?

If yes, specify:

If seizure disorder, date of last seizure

5. Alcoholism?

6. Narcotic/Drug Addiction?

7. Uncontrolled Diabetes? q

8. Uncontrolled Epilepsy?

9. Immobility or Amputation of an Appendage?

If so, list:

10. Does this person have any other condition that would prevent control of a motor vehicle?

If yes, list:

Pretty obvious this isn't possible without my medical history, and I really don't understand the need for it? When I got my UK license it was a simple case of turn up for the test and read a license plate at distance to prove I could see properly. This seems quite over the top to me, but I guess it isn't my place to ask questions... just do what they want... fill in the forms, pay my money, etc, etc... again. :whistle:

I don't even want to own a car, but there is a job I have applied for that I would REALLY like to get out of town, and the alternative to driving is to take a bus, train, then another bus, then walk... an almost 2 hour journey, and if anyone knows how reliable SEPTA is, then they'd understand why I need a car! I need to get the process of getting a license going in case I get this job, but it sounds like it might take a while. :(

Timeline

Good luck

Well, we have to be careful with our money, but we could manage it I'm sure... as long as it's not $200 or something. I've read the horror stories about Drs charging for forms!

It varies by State, but the PA DMV suggests its 60 days.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_residents/d...r_license.shtml

Assuming you are a Resident for this purpose.

And I guess my residency would be from when my greencard starts... which is more than 60 days ago.

It really doesn't seem clear, maybe it's me?

I have something of a plan now... I am going to go to the local centre, which is happily not far away! My wife will come with me, who they will accept as 1 proof of residency (it says on their site), then I just need 1 other thing to prove I live at the same address, and I got my card for our (now) joint account today, so the letter with it should be fine. If I need to get a form filled in by a Dr I will shout at them as loudly as I can, and if that doesn't change their mind I guess I'll just have to work my way around that one. I can also ask them how long I can drive on my UK license whilst I'm there.

Thanks for putting up with my obvious annoyance, I sort of know what I'm doing now. :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Bette

Just 1... did he have to get a form filled in by a Dr?

That's the bit that has got me annoyed. This is taken from the form and are the questions a Dr has to answer:

1. Neurological disorders such as to prevent reasonable control of a motor vehicle?

2. Any Cardiac or Circulatory disorder including Hypertension such as to prevent reasonable control of a motor vehicle?

3. Neuropsychiatric disorders such as to prevent reasonable control of a motor vehicle?

4. Conditions causing repeated lapses of consciousness, e.g. epilepsy, narcolepsy, hysteria, etc.?

If yes, specify:

If seizure disorder, date of last seizure

5. Alcoholism?

6. Narcotic/Drug Addiction?

7. Uncontrolled Diabetes? q

8. Uncontrolled Epilepsy?

9. Immobility or Amputation of an Appendage?

If so, list:

10. Does this person have any other condition that would prevent control of a motor vehicle?

If yes, list:

Pretty obvious this isn't possible without my medical history, and I really don't understand the need for it? When I got my UK license it was a simple case of turn up for the test and read a license plate at distance to prove I could see properly. This seems quite over the top to me, but I guess it isn't my place to ask questions... just do what they want... fill in the forms, pay my money, etc, etc... again. :whistle:

I don't even want to own a car, but there is a job I have applied for that I would REALLY like to get out of town, and the alternative to driving is to take a bus, train, then another bus, then walk... an almost 2 hour journey, and if anyone knows how reliable SEPTA is, then they'd understand why I need a car! I need to get the process of getting a license going in case I get this job, but it sounds like it might take a while. :(

Yes he had the form filled out by a Dr. the is no option there.

We have an HMO so it cost the price of an office visit (co-pay for us) ...nothing more. If you or your wife have a regular family doc. they usually do this for the price of an office visit..it's not a complicated form....

You can always call ahead and ask what they charge.

As far as Septa depending on where you are leaving from and where you are going ... affects the reliability factor but the cost is high. If your driving distance is not too far and parking is free, driving is usually cheaper in the Philly area (sad to say for environment).

Good luck...

Bette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.