VideoNews

Video news story showing struggles of separated couples

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am from an international news service and am interested in doing a video story on struggles in immigration. I have been reading some of your posts and am very interested in doing a feature story showing what people go through to get their loved ones entrance into the U.S. Is there anyone in the Washington DC area who would be willing to share their story? Also any ideas on how I could better focus this story would be much appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!

~Rebecca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Well Rebecca - the first thing would be to do the story justice and realise the pain and heartache that most people are going through - I have seen many stories written that focus on immigration - but not necessarily on LEGAL immigration - so there are many who do not realise what we actually go through - emotionally, financially, and just plain "go through" due to being separated from our loved ones... Spend some more time reading through the various posts and you will discover many people who you could contact - they might not be in your area though.

we would LOVE to see what angle you would like to take this - Vj'ers have been burned in the past through articles appearing, and some rather nasty comments being made about how lovelorn we are so most are quite wary.

come on VJ'ers if given the right information who knows how this might help..

have a GREAT day

Tracy

:-)

26/9/2007 Steve posted I129F & check to CSC

27/9/2007 CSC received it at 9.00am - signed by D.Bohn

""at this point on my timeline it said adjucation could be around the 8th March 2008"" What the??

25/10/2007 NOA1 issued

26/10/2007 Check cashed

29/10/2007 NOA1-Hard Copy received ...

2/11/2007 Touched

4/11/2007 Touched

20/11/2007 Went to police station for fingerprinting and National police check

4/12/2007 Police called police & fingerprint check done and ready for my collection

(getting ahead of myself I know <grin> but want to get everything ready

and organised - so MUCH paperwork/costs when there is me AND kids involved)

13/1/2008 - The estimated date on my timeline for adjudication NOW SAYS 21st March... OUCHIE..

29/1/2008 - WOW the estimated date on my timeline NOW says 7th April.... COME ON FOLKS.. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR TIMELINES IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO... your updates help give number crunchers like myself something to gauge. 4th feb - all these approvals MUST be doing something, my timeline NOW says 2nd April...

5/2/08 - YAY YAY YAY.... NOA-2 approval via email from CRIS... WHOO HOOOOOOOOOOO.... the "estimated timeline said 31 March this morning just as an FYI for you all)

9/2/2008 Flying to Ohio to spend a bit of time with my darling man to arrange our wedding and also just to spend some time together :-)

31/5/2008 Our Wedding day (we think) <grin>

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello everyone,

I am from an international news service and am interested in doing a video story on struggles in immigration. I have been reading some of your posts and am very interested in doing a feature story showing what people go through to get their loved ones entrance into the U.S. Is there anyone in the Washington DC area who would be willing to share their story? Also any ideas on how I could better focus this story would be much appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!

~Rebecca

Hi rebecca,

would love to help ya but not in that area,in other ways ..sure ,for ideas i have many.you can pm me.Hope we on VJ inspire you for much great work.

natasha

5443.gif

I'm sure VJ'ers would be plenty willing to help. If you want the "look at how horrific this is" perspective, there's lots of people who would be willing to contribute their horror stories. Not going to name names, but there's people on here who:

• Have been waiting years to receive a green card after marriage
  • Hired lawyers who made horrible mistakes and delayed their case further
  • Left the U.S. for an emergency (family member death) without AP, after waiting 9+ months for a K-1/K-3 visa, and having to start all over again.
  • Received requests for evidence for things they have already submitted
  • Had their case or important paperwork just plain lost (like the medical exam results which they must surrender at the port of entry)
  • Could not afford the high filing fees, or did not have the financial resources to sponsor their fiancé(e) or spouse
  • (other, more horrid, experiences)
Not to mention the statistical outliers who had to wait many months for a K-1 visa (or a green card) since the process started. The average is 8-9 months, which isn't pleasant to begin with. Some have waited much longer.

The process involves a lot of paperwork, money, and time.

An article about marriage-based or family-based immigration might be helpful at least to increase awareness of what's involved. From personal experience, I think many people have the misconception that all you need to do is get married, and that everything else is "pretty much automatic," and you will have a green card in your lap.... Not so....

Good luck with your article. I'd be willing to share my opinions/experiences if you are interested, but I am not in the D.C. area.

Cheers

--JG

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
Well Rebecca - the first thing would be to do the story justice and realise the pain and heartache that most people are going through - I have seen many stories written that focus on immigration - but not necessarily on LEGAL immigration - so there are many who do not realise what we actually go through - emotionally, financially, and just plain "go through" due to being separated from our loved ones... Spend some more time reading through the various posts and you will discover many people who you could contact - they might not be in your area though.

we would LOVE to see what angle you would like to take this - Vj'ers have been burned in the past through articles appearing, and some rather nasty comments being made about how lovelorn we are so most are quite wary.

come on VJ'ers if given the right information who knows how this might help..

have a GREAT day

Tracy

:-)

TracyOz - thank you for pointing out legal. Our paperwork was lost between the embassy and the NVC back in November.... the hoops we are jumping through just to get it resent, I can't even explain in a post ... my family and friends say we are the poster children for bureaucracy and red tape. We are two people trying to do it the right way, I'm being a law abiding citizen and getting smacked for it.

Please Rebecca, focus on the pain we go through trying to do it the right way, the legal way. Because even my mother asked me if it wouldn't make more sense to apply for a tourist visa, get married and reapply as a married couple - cause it would be easier... my mother, who barely gets a traffic ticket... And, why do work visas get through so quickly in comparison? Why do they have the option of expediting their cases for a little extra money? (Sorry, I'm a little upset with this process this week)

Edited by MissLove

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.