onofre

A bit confused with the SSN...advice?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm having a bit trouble understanding this SSN thing and other stuff. My fiancees POE was on January 13th. Its been two weeks from today. We were planning to get married on February 1st.

Now, this SSN thing is a bit confusing. I'm reading that its best to wait 2 weeks after the POE. Now, what should I do? I was planning to go tomorrow to the SS office and apply her SSN. Should I get married after it arrives or just in between as the SS card get here?

I've read that its ok to apply once we were married but then it can cause delays. Please let me know what to do would be best so I won't have to go through much trouble. Thanks!

12913.gif

ONOFRE

15262.gif

MARIA

----------------------------

3/26/07 I-129F Mailed to Nebraska Service Center

3/30/07 I-129F Fowared and recived in California SC.

4/03/07 First NOA mailed...(good start)

4/04/07 $170.00 check cashed :-(

4/05/07 Touched

6/21/07 DAMIT, TOUCH ME, SLAP ME, DO SOMETHING (DAY 82!)

6/27/07 Approved!!!!!!! (email of NOA2) Not even a touch?? Who cares now!

6/29/07 "Touched" hmmm...

7/15/07 Fiancee packet arrives (gathering documents for the trip)

10/16/07 Flight to El Paso, TX and on to Juarez for interview!!!!!!!!!!

10/18/07 VISA IN HAND!!!! WOHOOOOOOOO!

01/13/08 Point of entry for my fiancee

02/02/08 Married at City Hall

02/09/09 AOS package send Express Mail

02/10/09 AOS package received and signed.

02/17/09 NOA reciepts

02/23/09 NOA about March 3, 2009 Biometrics

02/28/09 FRE!!!! :(

03/06/09 Biometrics completed

03/30/09 Responded to RFE next day air to Lee's Summit, MO.

04/25/09 AP and EAD card arrives

07/10/09 Interview letter arrives for 8/19/09

08/09/09 AP letter used to re-enter the U.S.

08/19/09 Interview completed. Results in two weeks. ( I think we got it)

08/24/09 Letter in the mail stating Interview Approved. Welcome to the United States!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm having a bit trouble understanding this SSN thing and other stuff. My fiancees POE was on January 13th. Its been two weeks from today. We were planning to get married on February 1st.

Now, this SSN thing is a bit confusing. I'm reading that its best to wait 2 weeks after the POE. Now, what should I do? I was planning to go tomorrow to the SS office and apply her SSN. Should I get married after it arrives or just in between as the SS card get here?

I've read that its ok to apply once we were married but then it can cause delays. Please let me know what to do would be best so I won't have to go through much trouble. Thanks!

My advice is to get the SSN right away in maiden name, then change it after the wedding. Don't wait too long to change the name, because on a K1, SSA will not change anything during the time starting 76 days after entry (I-94) date until AOS is complete (green card in hand).

If the two-weeks is up, go ahead and apply. (I suggest you be there before the office opens, as it can take a looooong time just to get your app in). Changing your name isnt that difficult down the line and can even be done by mail.

Filed: Timeline

You need to get married within 90 days of her arrival regardless of when she applies for an SSN or if she even has an SSN.

Applying for the SSN in her married name or maiden name or before or after getting married, is her call. However, it seems that women especially have less problems applying before getting married or if after married, using the maiden name and keeping quiet about being married. If she plans to apply based on the K-1 status using the I-94, I would suggest that she apply ASAP, since she is only eligible for the first 76 days she is her. After the 76th day she will need an EAD card or wait until the AOS is approved and she has an I-551 stamp or card.

If you go the married name route, this might help.

RM 00203.210 C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name:

When an alien applies for an SSN card, we presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change, e.g., marriage, which occurred after the immigration document was issued.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, i.e. I-94, was issued, e.g., married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, i.e. SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.