k2daho

Help filling out I-130 please

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

Some of you have seen my other posts, and my husband and I are going ahead with filing the I-130 at the embassy at the country in Africa he is in for work. We have contacted them and they will process our visa there! I do have to go over there to interview, but other than that it sounds like it should go fairly smooth.

So now I'm re-filling out the I-130 for my husband as we are now aiming for the CR1 and not adjustment of status within the USA.

Right now I am currently in the United States legally as a tourist from Canada. I entered just over two months ago and as a Canadian I believe I am allowed a 6 month stay. So, at this time I'm staying in our apartment (joint lease) here in D.C. while my husband is in Africa. I will not be overstaying my allowed time here, no intention of that, and now that we are doing DCF it shouldn't be an issue at all as it should go quickly from what we are told.

So for Question C.2. what should I put as my address? Will it look bad for me to put this U.S. address? Or should I put a permanent Canadian address where I will go back to if I run out of time here?

And following that for C.14. should I put that I am currently in the United States? I do not want them to mistakenly think that I am trying to adjust status from inside the U.S. and that make our application take longer. I will be leaving the U.S. either to go home to Canada or to go to Africa to the interview before my 6 months is up. This also brings up that as a Canadian I don't have an I-94 or I-95 and therefore have no document showing the day I entered the country...what should I do?

Next question... C.21. do I say that we were staying here at this apartment together for almost two months after we got married before he left for Africa? I've read elsewhere that this can make them suspicious that you've been living in the USA illegally.

Lastly...C.22. Am I right in thinking that I just don't fill this part out cuz I'm not doing AOS in the United States, correct?

Thanks!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You should put down everything in Canada and nothing about the address here in the US. You are just visiting as far as they are concerned and regardless of how long you stay, 2 days or 2 months its just a visit. We had a similar situation and we used all the foreign addresses.

IR-1 Visa, I-130

Consulate: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Marriage: 2002-02-02

DCF:

Interview: 2008-04-02

POE: 2008-04-11

Filed: Timeline

Great, thanks Mateo...that's what I was thinking...it's basically the same as me staying at a hotel for a visit except that my husband pays for it! haha

You should put down everything in Canada and nothing about the address here in the US. You are just visiting as far as they are concerned and regardless of how long you stay, 2 days or 2 months its just a visit. We had a similar situation and we used all the foreign addresses.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi there,

Some of you have seen my other posts, and my husband and I are going ahead with filing the I-130 at the embassy at the country in Africa he is in for work. We have contacted them and they will process our visa there! I do have to go over there to interview, but other than that it sounds like it should go fairly smooth.

So now I'm re-filling out the I-130 for my husband as we are now aiming for the CR1 and not adjustment of status within the USA.

Right now I am currently in the United States legally as a tourist from Canada. I entered just over two months ago and as a Canadian I believe I am allowed a 6 month stay. So, at this time I'm staying in our apartment (joint lease) here in D.C. while my husband is in Africa. I will not be overstaying my allowed time here, no intention of that, and now that we are doing DCF it shouldn't be an issue at all as it should go quickly from what we are told.

So for Question C.2. what should I put as my address? Will it look bad for me to put this U.S. address? Or should I put a permanent Canadian address where I will go back to if I run out of time here?

And following that for C.14. should I put that I am currently in the United States? I do not want them to mistakenly think that I am trying to adjust status from inside the U.S. and that make our application take longer. I will be leaving the U.S. either to go home to Canada or to go to Africa to the interview before my 6 months is up. This also brings up that as a Canadian I don't have an I-94 or I-95 and therefore have no document showing the day I entered the country...what should I do?

Next question... C.21. do I say that we were staying here at this apartment together for almost two months after we got married before he left for Africa? I've read elsewhere that this can make them suspicious that you've been living in the USA illegally.

Lastly...C.22. Am I right in thinking that I just don't fill this part out cuz I'm not doing AOS in the United States, correct?

Thanks!!!

Don't both the petitioner and beneficiary need to be "residing" in country to do DCF? Did the Consulate know you are a Canadian who does not reside in their Consular district?

Regardless, you answer the questions truthfully. You reside in Canada and are currently visiting the US.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.