TerryandAngela

Current Status and other questions!!!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I applied for Adjustment of Status, Green Card and Advanced Parole. I received the AP and Green Card. I'm uncertain about a couple of things.

1. What is my current status?

2. My green card has an expiry date of one year. I have to apply to extend it 90 days before the expiry?

3. I can travel outside the US with the AP, but I've seen people state that the Green Card will allow travel. My Green Card states "not valid for reentry to the US". Does that change at some time?

4. Is there anything else to do until the interview?

5. We rent an apartment. They would NOT put me on the lease agreement because I'm not a US citizen. Is there some legal (USCIS) information I can show them that will tell them it's ok to put my name on the lease?

Sorry for the lengthy list, but I want to make sure that things go smoothly from here on in. We've had our share of delays, but it was amazing to finally get the Green Card.

Thank you for any assistance.

July 1, 2004 - Met online

March 4, 2005 - Met first time in Merrillville, IN (half way for both)

March 15, 2005

-paid a visit to Wisconsin-left March 31, 2005

May 2, 2005

-flew to visit Angela, left May 7

July 1, 2005

-flew to visit Angela on our first anniversary.

March 29, 2006

-mailed I-129F package to Nebraska

March 31, 2006

-confirmed package delivered by USPS

April 3, 2006

-NOA1

April 7, 2006

-NOA1 notice received in mail

June 6, 2006

-Transfer Notice to California.

July 3, 2006 - RFE received from California. Supplement to I-129F filled out and returned by July 6, 2006.

August 12, 2006 - NOA2

------

Interview Date - April 10, 2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Are you sure it is a green card? Could it be just a EAD? ( Employment authorization) I am not sure what an EAD says, because Hachemi did not get one, just the green card. It is possible that you do not have the actual green card yet?

As far as renting, I am not really sure about that, but if you can prove that you are a legal resident, I would suppose you could sign a rental agreement. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

EAD is what I have. I guess that makes a difference doesn't it :blush:

July 1, 2004 - Met online

March 4, 2005 - Met first time in Merrillville, IN (half way for both)

March 15, 2005

-paid a visit to Wisconsin-left March 31, 2005

May 2, 2005

-flew to visit Angela, left May 7

July 1, 2005

-flew to visit Angela on our first anniversary.

March 29, 2006

-mailed I-129F package to Nebraska

March 31, 2006

-confirmed package delivered by USPS

April 3, 2006

-NOA1

April 7, 2006

-NOA1 notice received in mail

June 6, 2006

-Transfer Notice to California.

July 3, 2006 - RFE received from California. Supplement to I-129F filled out and returned by July 6, 2006.

August 12, 2006 - NOA2

------

Interview Date - April 10, 2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Ok... if you have an EAD here is how the effects the rest of your questions.

1) You are currently applying to adjust your status from that of a K-1 visa holder to that of a Conditional Permanent Resident (2 year green card holder)

2) The expiry date is on your EAD (correct me if I'm wrong ??). Normally your AOS will be completed before your EAD expires. On completion of the AOS you'll be given a conditional green card which does away with the need for an EAD.

3) Until you are granted your green card you will need to show your AP document along with a valid Canadian passport in order to re-enter the country. The EAD card only shows that you are allowed to work, it has nothing to do with travel outside of the US.

4) Until you receive your interview date, all that you need to do is start preparing the supporting evidence to prove that your marriage has been entered into in good faith and that you have been living as a couple since you got married. There is an AOS guide pinned in the AOS forum which includes a list of the kinds of documents usually gathered together for an AOS interview.

5) I am not sure that there is anything that the USCIS can provide for a landlord to get you put on the lease. It's up to the landlord who he wants on his lease and if he's asking for a US citizen then thats his prerogative. Once you complete the AOS process, you will be considered a permanent resident. This might look better to a landlord than a K-1 Visa holder looking to become a PR.

You could be waiting a few months for an AOS interview but hopefully you'll be in posession of a 2 year conditional green card soon.

Best of luck.

Mark :)

P.S... Updating your timeline would help people get a better idea of where you are in the process.

Edited by luv2teach77

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.