chess

Our Naples Medical Interview Summary

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

I noticed a lot of you all are about to do your medical and consulate interviews so we just had ours Jan. 18th, 2008 and I figured I'd go ahead and let everyone know what it's like. We had ours in Naples Italy at the Istituto Varelli Via Cornelia dei Gracchi 51, which is close to the Soccavo stop on the Cumana (above ground train). Ask people where the Piazza Vitale is in order to find Via Cornelia. Also you guys might want to bring a lunch with you cause it took from 8 am till 2 pm. They do all these tests just to make sure you don't have some kind of serious contagious illness. I went with my fiance and was able to go with him for every test to help translate, ect. The first part is a verbal interview and they just check your passport, ask for two photos, check out your vaccine record, and take payment which was 180 euros plus payment if additional vaccines are needed. He had to have two and paid 50 euros more for them. Here's the list of costs we were given as of Dec 2007.

COST OF VACCINATIONS

Fee for administration of single or multiple vaccine €16.00

Supplemental fees for selected vaccines

Anatoxal = Tetanus

Diphtheria € 9.00

Energix = Hepatitis B €24.00

Morupar = Measles

Mumps €30.00

Rubella

Pneumo 23 = Antipneumococcal €21.00

Difteral = DTP Children €7.00

Hiberix = Hib €21.00

Varilrix = Varicella Unavailable

Imovax = Polio €10.00

Then we were sent to wait in line again. Then he was called for the blood test. Then in line again. Then called for the chest xray. Then called to take height and weight. Asked if he used contacts, then asked to read bottom letters on eye exam chart. Then listened to his heart. Then asked medical history if had been in serious accident or hospital before, if he ever had jaundice symptoms, if he smoke, drank, used drugs, or ever had a STD. Then the waiting again. In the process of waiting for the results they called one of the women applicants to come with them to look at her chest XRAY. She was a smoker and in the end it did not prevent her from getting her visa approved. So it seems if there is something wrong they will probably call you in to tell you about it. Then they give everyone a receipt for the exam and a new record if you had to have any additional vaccines and they even give you the original xray. The test results are not given to you. The clinic sends them to the consulate themselves. You do not need to bring the xray to the consulate interview just the receipts. So good luck to you all! Don't stress.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
I noticed a lot of you all are about to do your medical and consulate interviews so we just had ours Jan. 18th, 2008 and I figured I'd go ahead and let everyone know what it's like. We had ours in Naples Italy at the Istituto Varelli Via Cornelia dei Gracchi 51, which is close to the Soccavo stop on the Cumana (above ground train). Ask people where the Piazza Vitale is in order to find Via Cornelia. Also you guys might want to bring a lunch with you cause it took from 8 am till 2 pm. They do all these tests just to make sure you don't have some kind of serious contagious illness. I went with my fiance and was able to go with him for every test to help translate, ect. The first part is a verbal interview and they just check your passport, ask for two photos, check out your vaccine record, and take payment which was 180 euros plus payment if additional vaccines are needed. He had to have two and paid 50 euros more for them. Here's the list of costs we were given as of Dec 2007.

COST OF VACCINATIONS

Anatoxal = Tetanus

Diphtheria € 9.00

Morupar = Measles

Mumps €30.00

Rubella

Hiberix = Hib €21.00

Imovax = Polio €10.00

Then we were sent to wait in line again. Then he was called for the blood test. Then in line again. Then called for the chest xray. Then called to take height and weight. Asked if he used contacts, then asked to read bottom letters on eye exam chart. Then listened to his heart. Then asked medical history if had been in serious accident or hospital before, if he ever had jaundice symptoms, if he smoke, drank, used drugs, or ever had a STD. Then the waiting again. In the process of waiting for the results they called one of the women applicants to come with them to look at her chest XRAY. She was a smoker and in the end it did not prevent her from getting her visa approved. So it seems if there is something wrong they will probably call you in to tell you about it. Then they give everyone a receipt for the exam and a new record if you had to have any additional vaccines and they even give you the original xray. The test results are not given to you. The clinic sends them to the consulate themselves. You do not need to bring the xray to the consulate interview just the receipts. So good luck to you all! Don't stress.

Hi, thank you for providing such detail information. This will help us anticipate any upcoming fees. Hope this will be all the fees, but if there are others would mind sharing with me. My fiance is from Milano and thank goodness I don't have to be present as his English is quite good. Out of curiosity, do you know if the US Embassy in Milano also conducts the interviews or is it all done in Napoli? We submitted our application in mid December and have since received the NOA1 on 12/18 (very fast). I'm hoping that he can finally move to the US sometime in July. Not sure how fast things are done in Italy, but I assume it's the same processing time as other countries. Anyhow, any thoughts and advice you can provide are much appreciated.

Timeline

COST OF VACCINATIONS

Anatoxal = Tetanus

Diphtheria € 9.00

Morupar = Measles

Mumps €30.00

Rubella

Hiberix = Hib €21.00

Imovax = Polio €10.00

Hi, thank you for providing such detail information. This will help us anticipate any upcoming fees. Hope this will be all the fees, but if there are others would mind sharing with me. My fiance is from Milano and thank goodness I don't have to be present as his English is quite good. Out of curiosity, do you know if the US Embassy in Milano also conducts the interviews or is it all done in Napoli? We submitted our application in mid December and have since received the NOA1 on 12/18 (very fast). I'm hoping that he can finally move to the US sometime in July. Not sure how fast things are done in Italy, but I assume it's the same processing time as other countries. Anyhow, any thoughts and advice you can provide are much appreciated.

Ours took the full 6 months to get the case approved after NOA1 and sent to consulate. Then another month to collect police certificates (3 in our case) and then another week to get the interview set. They might try to get you to call a terrible 899 number to schedule the interview is worthless. My experience and also others is that emailing Naples is the only way to get the interview scheduled. Also, the mail has been running really badly here in Italy lately. I have packages from the U.S. that I haven't gotten that were sent 2 months ago. And this may be the reason but we actually never got our packet 3 in the mail. Naples emailed us the packet and I just printed everything out and used that. From what I understand all the K1 and K3 and any type of family immigration visa has to be processed through Naples. In fact when we interviewed there were other couples even from Venice and Vicenza. And in fact other countries like Iran use Naples because they do not have an American consulate. Also big warning to everyone. DO NOT buy your plane ticket to the US for the day of or even right after the interview!! When we interviewed someone in the office had a death in the family and as a result half of the visa approvals were not able to be issued that day. We are still waiting for ours to come in the mail. Even if we didn't have it mailed to us we were told it would be at least 4 days and that it would only be available for pick up at Mailboxes ect. Also just a note on the fees, this was the list we were given before the New Year and we had the interview after the New Year and some fees are now higher. For example the visa fee that they have you pay at the Banca Nationale del Lavoro (Must pay before interview and the bank by the embassy closes at 2 pm!! Make sure you have already paid it before you even go to your medical interview.) was raised from $100 to $131 (99€). Good luck to you guys, don't stress, it seemed that everyone who had all the necessary documents had a very easy going interview and was approved. Though I would say that those who had their fiances/spouses with them had an easier time and were even able to interview together. In fact, he never even asked my fiance any questions after seeing us waiting and snuggling together all day. He just had to raise his right hand and swear all was true and we were approved.

Timeline

COST OF VACCINATIONS

Anatoxal = Tetanus

Diphtheria € 9.00

Morupar = Measles

Mumps €30.00

Rubella

Hiberix = Hib €21.00

Imovax = Polio €10.00

Ours took the full 6 months to get the case approved after NOA1 and sent to consulate. Then another month to collect police certificates (3 in our case) and then another week to get the interview set. They might try to get you to call a terrible 899 number to schedule the interview is worthless. My experience and also others is that emailing Naples is the only way to get the interview scheduled. Also, the mail has been running really badly here in Italy lately. I have packages from the U.S. that I haven't gotten that were sent 2 months ago. And this may be the reason but we actually never got our packet 3 in the mail. Naples emailed us the packet and I just printed everything out and used that. From what I understand all the K1 and K3 and any type of family immigration visa has to be processed through Naples. In fact when we interviewed there were other couples even from Venice and Vicenza. And in fact other countries like Iran use Naples because they do not have an American consulate. Also big warning to everyone. DO NOT buy your plane ticket to the US for the day of or even right after the interview!! When we interviewed someone in the office had a death in the family and as a result half of the visa approvals were not able to be issued that day. We are still waiting for ours to come in the mail. Even if we didn't have it mailed to us we were told it would be at least 4 days and that it would only be available for pick up at Mailboxes ect. Also just a note on the fees, this was the list we were given before the New Year and we had the interview after the New Year and some fees are now higher. For example the visa fee that they have you pay at the Banca Nationale del Lavoro (Must pay before interview and the bank by the embassy closes at 2 pm!! Make sure you have already paid it before you even go to your medical interview.) was raised from $100 to $131 (99€). Good luck to you guys, don't stress, it seemed that everyone who had all the necessary documents had a very easy going interview and was approved. Though I would say that those who had their fiances/spouses with them had an easier time and were even able to interview together. In fact, he never even asked my fiance any questions after seeing us waiting and snuggling together all day. He just had to raise his right hand and swear all was true and we were approved.

Thank you so much for your reply and offering advices. I spoke with my fiance on the phone earlier and mention that there is a strong possibility of the interview taking place in Napoli. We'll just have to accommodate the US government. I have another question for you, what is in Packet 3, Packet 4 and how extensive is the Police check? The reason why I ask is because my fiance is scheduled to visit in mid-April and perhaps stay at least 1 month or until I receive the NOA 2 then he'll return to complete the final stages (but his stay will not exceed the 90 days). If he should receive the documents while in the US, can it be filled out in the US and then we DHL it back to Italy? Not sure, hope I'm not too confusing...I just want to make the most of his time here and if we can conduct all the business (other than the medical and face-to-face interview) in the US then I would do it. Anyhow, sorry for then lengthy and rambling question again. But your your thoughts and advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks much!

Timeline

COST OF VACCINATIONS

Anatoxal = Tetanus

Diphtheria € 9.00

Morupar = Measles

Mumps €30.00

Rubella

Hiberix = Hib €21.00

Imovax = Polio €10.00

Thank you so much for your reply and offering advices. I spoke with my fiance on the phone earlier and mention that there is a strong possibility of the interview taking place in Napoli. We'll just have to accommodate the US government. I have another question for you, what is in Packet 3, Packet 4 and how extensive is the Police check? The reason why I ask is because my fiance is scheduled to visit in mid-April and perhaps stay at least 1 month or until I receive the NOA 2 then he'll return to complete the final stages (but his stay will not exceed the 90 days). If he should receive the documents while in the US, can it be filled out in the US and then we DHL it back to Italy? Not sure, hope I'm not too confusing...I just want to make the most of his time here and if we can conduct all the business (other than the medical and face-to-face interview) in the US then I would do it. Anyhow, sorry for then lengthy and rambling question again. But your your thoughts and advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks much!

Ok. First off the Packet 3 they emailed us was Instructions on filling out the forms, DS-156, DS-156K, DS-230, I-134, then supplemental sheet on police certificates and military records, medical instructions, vaccine notice, and lastly map and directions to medical and consulate. In the instructions they explain that you must gather all the documents and certified translations and complete the forms and when you have finished to fax the consulate a statement saying you gathered the papers and are ready for the interview and also a signed copy of DS-230 Part I only. I have a separate posting you should look up that explains exactly how to get the police certificate. Also, the Naples consulate did accept documents in either English or Italian. (We had to have Albanian and Greek docs translated to English) Actually just to make this easier here are the instructions they gave us to Packet 3 all the other forms you can find on VJ.(I pasted it below) Just to add on to these Packet 3 instructions, I recommend, that after you fax it make sure to email them to get them to schedule you an interview. Also at the Bank when I wanted to make the payment they had no idea what that reference number was but it's the only one they have and is a nonimmigrant visa fee and it had ended up being 99 euros just make sure you get your receipt. Also, there was no Packet 4. I had printed out the email they sent us with our interview date but was never asked to show it. Plus, it's better to bring more photos than what they ask for. We ended up needing two for the medical and two for the consulate.

I guess once you've gotten NOA2 make sure someone at his home address keeps an eye out on if packet 3 arrives by mail. They sent ours only by email and they sent one email to me and another to him. I would think that once you have all the docs ready you could always fax your applicant statement from the U.S. and then fly back for your interview, but just to warn our interview was one week after faxing.

June 2007

INSTRUCTIONS FOR FIANCE(E)

VISA APPLICANTS (Packet 3)

This office has received evidence entitling you to a K1 nonimmigrant visa to travel to the United States to marry an American citizen. While no assurance can be given regarding the date of your visa interview, you should now prepare for that appointment by taking the following FOUR steps:

FIRST: Complete the enclosed Form DS-230, Part 1, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, and send it via fax to (39) (081) 583-8394 or send the original Part I via mail to Consolato Generale Americano, Piazza della Repubblica, 80122 Napoli, Italy. We recommend that you fax us the DS-230, Part I, because it is both more reliable and faster, and keep the original DS-230, Parts I and II, for presentation at the time of the visa interview. The Consulate cannot process your case until it receives this form.

SECOND: Fill out but do not sign the enclosed forms: (1) DS-156 Nonimmigrant Visa Application (in duplicate); you must also complete two copies of the DS-156 for each child who will apply with you; and (2) DS-156K Nonimmigrant Fiance(e) Visa Application. Keep these forms for presentation at the time of the interview. Do not send them to the Consulate.

Important Notice Regarding Forms: Please read the instructions for each form carefully and use type or block letters to fill out each form. Answer every question and fill in each numbered block. If a question or numbered block does not apply to your case, write in “Not Applicable” or “NA.” You must complete a separate form for each member of your family who plans to apply with you.

THIRD: Obtain the following original documents or certified copies for yourself and for each family member who will accompany you to the United States. All documents that pertain to your case are required, even if they were previously submitted to the Immigration and Naturalization Service with your petition. Do not send the documents to the consular office. Keep them for presentation at the time of the visa interview.

? 1. PASSPORTS: A passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least six months validity beyond the issuance date of the visa. Children may be included on a parent’s passport until their fifteenth birthday.

? 2. BIRTH CERTIFICATES: The original or certified copy of the birth certificate of each person named in the application, including the person who filed the original petition, is required. Birth records must be presented for all unmarried children under age 21, even if they do not wish to immigrate at this time (if children are deceased, so state giving year of death). The certificate must state the date and place of birth and the names of both parents. The certificate must also indicate that it is an extract from official records. If you or any children were adopted, you must submit a certified copy of the final adoption decree.

Unobtainable birth certificate: Your birth record may not be obtainable because, e.g., your birth was never officially recorded; your birth records have been destroyed; or the appropriate government authority will not issue one. In such a case, please obtain a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason your birth record is not available. With the certified statement

June 2007

you must present secondary evidence such as: a baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth and both parent’s names providing the baptism took place shortly after birth; an adoption decree for an adopted child; or an affidavit from a close relative, preferably the applicant’s mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parent’s names, and the mother’s maiden name. An affidavit must be executed before an official authorized to take oaths or affirmations. Information regarding the procedures for obtaining birth certificates is usually available from the embassy or consulate of the country concerned.

? 3. POLICE CERTIFICATES: Original police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years or older. The table below shows how many police certificates are required based on where each applicant lives and has lived previously. Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.

IF the applicant…

AND…

THEN the applicant needs a police certificate from…

has lived in his/her country of nationality or at his/her current residence for more than 6 months

was 16 years or older at that time

the police authorities of that locality.

lived in a different part of his/her country of nationality for more than 12 months

lived in a different country for more than 12 months

was arrested for any reason, regardless of how long they lived there

was any age at that time

The police certificate must cover the entire period of the applicant’s residence in that area and state what the appropriate police authorities records show concerning each applicant, including all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s), and the disposition of each case of which there is a record. Police certificates from certain countries are considered unobtainable. For additional information, see the enclosure entitled “Immigrant Visa Supplemental Information Sheet.”

Note for Residents of Italy: Persons who reside or have resided in Italy can obtain the certificate, called the Certificato del Casellario Giudizale, by applying in person or by mail at any office of the Procura della Repubblica throughout the country.

? 4. COURT AND PRISON RECORDS: Persons who have been convicted of a crime must obtain a certified copy of each court record and of any prison record, regardless of the fact that they may have benefited subsequently from an amnesty, pardon, or other act of clemency. Court records should include complete information regarding the circumstance surrounding the crime of which the applicant was convicted and the disposition of the case, including sentence or other penalty or fine imposed.

? 5. MILITARY RECORDS: Persons who have served in the military forces of any country must present a certified copy of their military record.

June 2007

? 6. PHOTOGRAPHS: Three color photographs with white background on glossy paper, unretouched and unmounted, are required. The photograph must be a frontal portrait with both sides of the face and both ears visible. The dimensions of the facial image must measure about one inch (30mm) from chin to top of hair. No head covering or dark glasses should be worn.

? 7. TERMINATION OF MARRIAGE DOCUMENTS: Proof of the termination of any previous marriage of the petitioner, the applicant, and any children under age 21 must also be submitted (e.g., original or certified copies of death certificate of spouse, final decrees of divorce or annulment).

? 8. RECEIPT: Receipt from any branch of the Banca Nazionale del Lavoro showing payment of the non-refundable $100 nonimmigrant visa application fee for each applicant (reference: Azienda 29 – USDO Charleston – Posizione 1). There is a BNL branch just a few blocks away from the Consulate.

? 9. EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: Evidence that shows the applicant(s) is/are not likely to become a public charge in the United States. Such evidence may include documentary proof of: (1) the applicant’s personal assets that would be available in the United States; or (2) the income, property, and assets of the petitioner and/or others in the U.S. who are willing to support applicant(s). Proof may be in the form of employment records, copies of U.S. tax returns, bank statements or letters, property documents, business documents, affidavit(s) of support, etc. An Affidavit of Support form I-134 is enclosed for your convenience.

? 10. MEDICAL EXAMINATION: Each applicant, including children, must undergo a medical examination as part of the application process. The applicant is responsible for paying the cost of the examination. More information about the medical examination will be provided at the time the visa interview is scheduled.

? 11. TRANSLATIONS: All documents not in English or Italian must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a Notary Public.

Unless otherwise specified, only one copy of each document, except photographs, must be submitted with the visa application. You are advised, however, to obtain the necessary documents in duplicate, as this will enable you to provide identical copies in the event the first set is lost or damaged.

FOURTH: As soon as you have obtained all the documents that apply to your case, carefully read and complete the enclosed “Applicant’s Statement,” sign and date it, and send it via fax to (39) (081) 583-8394 send the original Part I via mail to Consolato Generale Americano, Piazza della Repubblica, 80122 Napoli, Italy. We recommend that you fax us the DS-230, Part I, because it is both more reliable and faster. The Consulate will not schedule your appointment until you complete, sign, and return the Statement.

You will be scheduled for a medical examination and visa interview at the earliest possible date following receipt of the “Applicant’s Statement” at the Consulate. While it is not possible to predict exactly when this will be, appointments are normally set for dates within thirty (30) days of the receipt

June 2007

of the “Applicant’s Statement. You will receive an appointment letter along with the instructions for the medical examination approximately two to three weeks before your scheduled interview.

You need not contact the Consulate except to report a change of address or a change in your situation such as marriage, death of petitioner, or birth of children. Please do not send any documents to the Consulate General unless you are specifically requested to do so.

For Information: If you are in Italy and you have questions about the visa process or the forms, please call the Visa Information Service at 899 34 34 32. If you are not in Italy, you may send a fax to 0039 081 583 8394. For general information about the visa process, visit the Department of State web site at http://travel.state.gov/visa _services.html.

Enclosures:

1. Applicant’s Statement

2. Form DS-230, Part I, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, Biographic Data

3. Form DS-156 Nonimmigrant Visa Application (two)

4. Form DS-156K Nonimmigrant Fiance(e) Visa Application

5. Immigrant Visa Supplemental Information Sheet

6. Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support and Instructions)

7. Instructions for the Medical Examination

June 2007

APPLICANT’S STATEMENT

I have in my possession and I am prepared to present all the documents listed in items 1 through 11 in the “Instructions for Fiance(e) Visa Applicants” that apply to my case. I fully realize that no advance assurance can be given when or whether a visa will be issued to me. I also understand that I should NOT give up my job, dispose of property, or make any final travel arrangements until a visa is actually issued to me. When it is possible for me to receive an appointment to make formal visa application, I intend to apply: (check appropriate boxes).

? 1. Alone

? 2. Together with my children: (Print name of each child) _________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________

Date:___________________________ Case Number (if available):_______________________________________

Signature:______________________________________________________________________

____ Print Name:_________________________________________________________________________

Current Address:_____________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________

__

Telephone _________________________________ FAX ___________________________________ E-Mail ____________________________________________________________________________

YOU WILL NOT BE SCHEDULED FOR AN APPOINTMENT

UNTILYOU SUBMIT THIS FORM AND THE DS-230, PART I.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY OTHER DOCUMENTS TO THIS OFFICE UNLESS SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED TO DO SO.

U:/Visas/Fiance/Packet 3/A Instructions and App Stmt (eng), Dec 2002 5

Filed: Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hello

Thanks for all your advice.

I'm going for a Green Card Interview in Naples on the 1st of February.

They have scheduled a medical for me and my husband on the day before the interview.

My Italian is non-existant and my husband can only speak a little bit of italian.

Can you please tell me if the medical exam takes place in English or Italian?

Do we need to take a translator with us....?

Thanks

Melinda

i just wanted to add that no matter where you live in italy, the interview must take place in naples...they are the only italian consulate that deals with k1 visas

Removal of Conditions NOA: 2/24/11

Biometrics Appt: 8/15/11

ROC Approval: 9/30/11

Card Production Ordered: 10/11/11

Card Received: 10/15/11

Timeline

COST OF VACCINATIONS

Anatoxal = Tetanus

Diphtheria € 9.00

Morupar = Measles

Mumps €30.00

Rubella

Hiberix = Hib €21.00

Imovax = Polio €10.00

Thanks much!

Ok. First off the Packet 3 they emailed us was Instructions on filling out the forms, DS-156, DS-156K, DS-230, I-134, then supplemental sheet on police certificates and military records, medical instructions, vaccine notice, and lastly map and directions to medical and consulate. In the instructions they explain that you must gather all the documents and certified translations and complete the forms and when you have finished to fax the consulate a statement saying you gathered the papers and are ready for the interview and also a signed copy of DS-230 Part I only. I have a separate posting you should look up that explains exactly how to get the police certificate. Also, the Naples consulate did accept documents in either English or Italian. (We had to have Albanian and Greek docs translated to English) Actually just to make this easier here are the instructions they gave us to Packet 3 all the other forms you can find on VJ.(I pasted it below) Just to add on to these Packet 3 instructions, I recommend, that after you fax it make sure to email them to get them to schedule you an interview. Also at the Bank when I wanted to make the payment they had no idea what that reference number was but it's the only one they have and is a nonimmigrant visa fee and it had ended up being 99 euros just make sure you get your receipt. Also, there was no Packet 4. I had printed out the email they sent us with our interview date but was never asked to show it. Plus, it's better to bring more photos than what they ask for. We ended up needing two for the medical and two for the consulate.

I guess once you've gotten NOA2 make sure someone at his home address keeps an eye out on if packet 3 arrives by mail. They sent ours only by email and they sent one email to me and another to him. I would think that once you have all the docs ready you could always fax your applicant statement from the U.S. and then fly back for your interview, but just to warn our interview was one week after faxing.

June 2007

This office has received evidence entitling you to a K1 nonimmigrant visa to travel to the United States to marry an American citizen. While no assurance can be given regarding the date of your visa interview, you should now prepare for that appointment by taking the following FOUR steps:

FIRST: Complete the enclosed Form DS-230, Part 1, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, and send it via fax to (39) (081) 583-8394 or send the original Part I via mail to Consolato Generale Americano, Piazza della Repubblica, 80122 Napoli, Italy. We recommend that you fax us the DS-230, Part I, because it is both more reliable and faster, and keep the original DS-230, Parts I and II, for presentation at the time of the visa interview. The Consulate cannot process your case until it receives this form.

SECOND: Fill out but do not sign the enclosed forms: (1) DS-156 Nonimmigrant Visa Application (in duplicate); you must also complete two copies of the DS-156 for each child who will apply with you; and (2) DS-156K Nonimmigrant Fiance(e) Visa Application. Keep these forms for presentation at the time of the interview. Do not send them to the Consulate.

Important Notice Regarding Forms: Please read the instructions for each form carefully and use type or block letters to fill out each form. Answer every question and fill in each numbered block. If a question or numbered block does not apply to your case, write in “Not Applicable” or “NA.” You must complete a separate form for each member of your family who plans to apply with you.

THIRD: Obtain the following original documents or certified copies for yourself and for each family member who will accompany you to the United States. All documents that pertain to your case are required, even if they were previously submitted to the Immigration and Naturalization Service with your petition. Do not send the documents to the consular office. Keep them for presentation at the time of the visa interview.

? 1. PASSPORTS: A passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least six months validity beyond the issuance date of the visa. Children may be included on a parent’s passport until their fifteenth birthday.

? 2. BIRTH CERTIFICATES: The original or certified copy of the birth certificate of each person named in the application, including the person who filed the original petition, is required. Birth records must be presented for all unmarried children under age 21, even if they do not wish to immigrate at this time (if children are deceased, so state giving year of death). The certificate must state the date and place of birth and the names of both parents. The certificate must also indicate that it is an extract from official records. If you or any children were adopted, you must submit a certified copy of the final adoption decree.

Unobtainable birth certificate: Your birth record may not be obtainable because, e.g., your birth was never officially recorded; your birth records have been destroyed; or the appropriate government authority will not issue one. In such a case, please obtain a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason your birth record is not available. With the certified statement

June 2007

you must present secondary evidence such as: a baptismal certificate that contains the date and place of birth and both parent’s names providing the baptism took place shortly after birth; an adoption decree for an adopted child; or an affidavit from a close relative, preferably the applicant’s mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parent’s names, and the mother’s maiden name. An affidavit must be executed before an official authorized to take oaths or affirmations. Information regarding the procedures for obtaining birth certificates is usually available from the embassy or consulate of the country concerned.

? 3. POLICE CERTIFICATES: Original police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years or older. The table below shows how many police certificates are required based on where each applicant lives and has lived previously. Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.

IF the applicant…

AND…

has lived in his/her country of nationality or at his/her current residence for more than 6 months

lived in a different part of his/her country of nationality for more than 12 months

was any age at that time

The police certificate must cover the entire period of the applicant’s residence in that area and state what the appropriate police authorities records show concerning each applicant, including all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s), and the disposition of each case of which there is a record. Police certificates from certain countries are considered unobtainable. For additional information, see the enclosure entitled “Immigrant Visa Supplemental Information Sheet.”

Note for Residents of Italy: Persons who reside or have resided in Italy can obtain the certificate, called the Certificato del Casellario Giudizale, by applying in person or by mail at any office of the Procura della Repubblica throughout the country.

? 4. COURT AND PRISON RECORDS: Persons who have been convicted of a crime must obtain a certified copy of each court record and of any prison record, regardless of the fact that they may have benefited subsequently from an amnesty, pardon, or other act of clemency. Court records should include complete information regarding the circumstance surrounding the crime of which the applicant was convicted and the disposition of the case, including sentence or other penalty or fine imposed.

? 5. MILITARY RECORDS: Persons who have served in the military forces of any country must present a certified copy of their military record.

June 2007

? 6. PHOTOGRAPHS: Three color photographs with white background on glossy paper, unretouched and unmounted, are required. The photograph must be a frontal portrait with both sides of the face and both ears visible. The dimensions of the facial image must measure about one inch (30mm) from chin to top of hair. No head covering or dark glasses should be worn.

? 7. TERMINATION OF MARRIAGE DOCUMENTS: Proof of the termination of any previous marriage of the petitioner, the applicant, and any children under age 21 must also be submitted (e.g., original or certified copies of death certificate of spouse, final decrees of divorce or annulment).

? 8. RECEIPT: Receipt from any branch of the Banca Nazionale del Lavoro showing payment of the non-refundable $100 nonimmigrant visa application fee for each applicant (reference: Azienda 29 – USDO Charleston – Posizione 1). There is a BNL branch just a few blocks away from the Consulate.

? 9. EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: Evidence that shows the applicant(s) is/are not likely to become a public charge in the United States. Such evidence may include documentary proof of: (1) the applicant’s personal assets that would be available in the United States; or (2) the income, property, and assets of the petitioner and/or others in the U.S. who are willing to support applicant(s). Proof may be in the form of employment records, copies of U.S. tax returns, bank statements or letters, property documents, business documents, affidavit(s) of support, etc. An Affidavit of Support form I-134 is enclosed for your convenience.

? 10. MEDICAL EXAMINATION: Each applicant, including children, must undergo a medical examination as part of the application process. The applicant is responsible for paying the cost of the examination. More information about the medical examination will be provided at the time the visa interview is scheduled.

? 11. TRANSLATIONS: All documents not in English or Italian must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a Notary Public.

Unless otherwise specified, only one copy of each document, except photographs, must be submitted with the visa application. You are advised, however, to obtain the necessary documents in duplicate, as this will enable you to provide identical copies in the event the first set is lost or damaged.

FOURTH: As soon as you have obtained all the documents that apply to your case, carefully read and complete the enclosed “Applicant’s Statement,” sign and date it, and send it via fax to (39) (081) 583-8394 send the original Part I via mail to Consolato Generale Americano, Piazza della Repubblica, 80122 Napoli, Italy. We recommend that you fax us the DS-230, Part I, because it is both more reliable and faster. The Consulate will not schedule your appointment until you complete, sign, and return the Statement.

You will be scheduled for a medical examination and visa interview at the earliest possible date following receipt of the “Applicant’s Statement” at the Consulate. While it is not possible to predict exactly when this will be, appointments are normally set for dates within thirty (30) days of the receipt

June 2007

of the “Applicant’s Statement. You will receive an appointment letter along with the instructions for the medical examination approximately two to three weeks before your scheduled interview.

You need not contact the Consulate except to report a change of address or a change in your situation such as marriage, death of petitioner, or birth of children. Please do not send any documents to the Consulate General unless you are specifically requested to do so.

For Information: If you are in Italy and you have questions about the visa process or the forms, please call the Visa Information Service at 899 34 34 32. If you are not in Italy, you may send a fax to 0039 081 583 8394. For general information about the visa process, visit the Department of State web site at http://travel.state.gov/visa _services.html.

Enclosures:

1. Applicant’s Statement

2. Form DS-230, Part I, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, Biographic Data

June 2007

APPLICANT’S STATEMENT

I have in my possession and I am prepared to present all the documents listed in items 1 through 11 in the “Instructions for Fiance(e) Visa Applicants” that apply to my case. I fully realize that no advance assurance can be given when or whether a visa will be issued to me. I also understand that I should NOT give up my job, dispose of property, or make any final travel arrangements until a visa is actually issued to me. When it is possible for me to receive an appointment to make formal visa application, I intend to apply: (check appropriate boxes).

? 1. Alone

? 2. Together with my children: (Print name of each child) _________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________

Date:___________________________ Case Number (if available):_______________________________________

Signature:______________________________________________________________________

____ Print Name:_________________________________________________________________________

Current Address:_____________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________

__

Telephone _________________________________ FAX ___________________________________ E-Mail ____________________________________________________________________________

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY OTHER DOCUMENTS TO THIS OFFICE UNLESS SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED TO DO SO.

Thank you, Chess! That was most helpful. Chances are he'll be back in Italy to fill out all the paperwork. I may download all documents and have him fill them out while in the US in April or at least practice on it. My other question (which I hope you don't mind answering since you've gone through this process already), is the need for a police certificate/report. I'm not sure if it's only for the past 5 years or in his entire life. He moved to London in 1995 and lived there for 4 years before moving back to Italy, then lived in the Canary Island for 9 months then back to Italy. Anyhow, does he need to obtain police certificate/reports from both countries? If so, I'll need to have him start working on it asap unless they want him to wait until it gets closer to the interview date. The other question I have, amongst many, is regarding the medical examination. Does it have to be done in Naples or can it be done at any certified places - hopefully in Milan? I'm trying to get a feel for the steps so that I can prepare him for it. Thank you again for all your help! I hope that this process will be smooth and painless - minus the waiting game - and then we can finally move on with other things in life.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

La Giovanni, not to freak you out or anything but be prepared because unfortunately there is a chance they might deny him entry to the US when he visits in april since he has a pending K1 visa application. I have been on VJ for a long time and unfortunately there have been several stories about this happening, although some people were still allowed to get in. It all depends on the Immigration Officer at the POE unfortunately...

Also as others pointed out, the interview won't have a strong possibility to be in Naples...it will definitely be there, it is the only consulate designated in Italy to process K1 and other immigrating visas to the US.

About the fees...if your fiance is immune to some of the deseases, such as mumps misles rubella etc., because he contracted them spontaneously as a child therefore has no record of any shot since he didn't need them, he can ask his family doc to prescribe him a titer test, 'dosaggio degli anticorpi" in Italian, which shows the level of antibodies to what you are immune to. That is an official paper that the Naples consulate will accept along with the vaccination certificate and it might prevent him to get unnecessary and expensive shots.

About the police certificate...the one for Italy is very easily done, they release it on the spot in Milan. He needs to ask for a "certificato generale del casellario" at the Procura di Milano (it is downtown Milan), you/he can find all the specific info here . About the other countries I am no help sorry, but he does have to show police certificates of all the places he resided at in the past after a certain age which I cannot remember on top of my head right now. I think I remember reading on VJ that the one from England takes quite some time(about 40 days but I might be wrong), so he might want to start gathering info on how to obtain it.

BTW I am from Milan too, have lived in the States for almost 4 years now. If you or your fiance need any help or info about anything please let me know, PM me anytime! ;)

Edited by churipu

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

Timeline
Hello

Thanks for all your advice.

I'm going for a Green Card Interview in Naples on the 1st of February.

They have scheduled a medical for me and my husband on the day before the interview.

My Italian is non-existant and my husband can only speak a little bit of italian.

Can you please tell me if the medical exam takes place in English or Italian?

Do we need to take a translator with us....?

Thanks

Melinda

You will be fine with English, though traveling around Naples without Italian can be challenging. Me and my partner both speak Italian but there were many non-Italian speaking applicants when we went for the medical so you should be ok. I do want to say though, that I haven't had a chance to put up my review of the consulate. In general they were very easy going but one of the officers did not treat the Iranians very professionally. All of the consulate officers that were doing the papers that day were American and spoke Italian as a second language. Ironically, it was the Black officer who behaved extremely rudely and in my opinion racist. At the end of the day when she went to inform us as to why they weren't able to issue our visas same day she refused to give a clear explanation in English and began lecturing the non-Italian speakers saying that they weren't listening because they just really didn't want to hear it anyway (referring to them being upset at the news). We had to demand several times just to get the flyer in English that explained where to pick up the visas. Not only that but her Italian wasn't very fluent and her instructions were even vague for the native Italian speakers. When we wanted to ask questions she started saying ok everyone has to leave now we're closed. I did see a couple of African families that were applying for some type of family visa (not K1 or K3) and they were in the office longer than anyone else. I believe one of the African families had trouble because they were missing a birth certificate. Applicants that I saw processed were from Italy, Iran, Malta, Spain, Africa and Albania(we weren't the only Albanian). We were never asked to show any Italian residency document as a K1 applicant. I did hear them ask the Spanish K3 applicant questions on why she immigrated to Italy and how long she'd been here. It was my impression that those who didn't get approved where those who never made it to the interview part because they were missing some sort of document, and would have to return later for the interview once they had it. Just be sure to have all your papers in order and not give them any excuses to give you a hard time. It may have just been that one woman, the others seemed quite cheerful and professional.

Timeline

COST OF VACCINATIONS

Anatoxal = Tetanus

Diphtheria € 9.00

Morupar = Measles

Mumps €30.00

Rubella

Hiberix = Hib €21.00

Imovax = Polio €10.00

Thanks much!

June 2007

June 2007

IF the applicant…

AND…

was any age at that time

June 2007

June 2007

Enclosures:

1. Applicant’s Statement

June 2007

APPLICANT’S STATEMENT

? 1. Alone

__

Thank you, Chess! That was most helpful. Chances are he'll be back in Italy to fill out all the paperwork. I may download all documents and have him fill them out while in the US in April or at least practice on it. My other question (which I hope you don't mind answering since you've gone through this process already), is the need for a police certificate/report. I'm not sure if it's only for the past 5 years or in his entire life. He moved to London in 1995 and lived there for 4 years before moving back to Italy, then lived in the Canary Island for 9 months then back to Italy. Anyhow, does he need to obtain police certificate/reports from both countries? If so, I'll need to have him start working on it asap unless they want him to wait until it gets closer to the interview date. The other question I have, amongst many, is regarding the medical examination. Does it have to be done in Naples or can it be done at any certified places - hopefully in Milan? I'm trying to get a feel for the steps so that I can prepare him for it. Thank you again for all your help! I hope that this process will be smooth and painless - minus the waiting game - and then we can finally move on with other things in life.

Here is the link to my earlier post on the police certificates. It actually comes from an Austrailian site but explains how to get police certificates from countries around the world.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1374425

and the Australian link was http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47p.pdf

He will need a police certificate from every country he has lived in for more than 6 months since being the age of 16 years old. But you will have to wait till you get your NOA2 before you start collecting the police certificates. The consulate wants them to be recent, I believe 3 months max. And yes you have to do the medical in Naples. It will be scheduled for you for the day before your consulate interview. And if there are certificates from other countries that aren't in Italian or English you will need certified translations. Also for your I-134 you as the sponsor will need letter from employer and bank. Plus it helps to have copies of tax returns for the last 3 years. And you will need to have your I-134 notarized. When you finish putting together your packet make an exact copy of everything in case anything gets lost.

Timeline
La Giovanni, not to freak you out or anything but be prepared because unfortunately there is a chance they might deny him entry to the US when he visits in april since he has a pending K1 visa application. I have been on VJ for a long time and unfortunately there have been several stories about this happening, although some people were still allowed to get in. It all depends on the Immigration Officer at the POE unfortunately...

Also as others pointed out, the interview won't have a strong possibility to be in Naples...it will definitely be there, it is the only consulate designated in Italy to process K1 and other immigrating visas to the US.

About the fees...if your fiance is immune to some of the deseases, such as mumps misles rubella etc., because he contracted them spontaneously as a child therefore has no record of any shot since he didn't need them, he can ask his family doc to prescribe him a titer test, 'dosaggio degli anticorpi" in Italian, which shows the level of antibodies to what you are immune to. That is an official paper that the Naples consulate will accept along with the vaccination certificate and it might prevent him to get unnecessary and expensive shots.

About the police certificate...the one for Italy is very easily done, they release it on the spot in Milan. He needs to ask for a "certificato generale del casellario" at the Procura di Milano (it is downtown Milan), you/he can find all the specific info here . About the other countries I am no help sorry, but he does have to show police certificates of all the places he resided at in the past after a certain age which I cannot remember on top of my head right now. I think I remember reading on VJ that the one from England takes quite some time(about 40 days but I might be wrong), so he might want to start gathering info on how to obtain it.

BTW I am from Milan too, have lived in the States for almost 4 years now. If you or your fiance need any help or info about anything please let me know, PM me anytime! ;)

Thank you so much for all your help. I will definitely PM you as this is all new for me. I will have him start working on obtaining all his police certificate. not sure how he'll get one from London or Canary Island, but we'll do our best. I will advise him re the medical...his father is a Dr. so maybe he can assist with it too!! Sigh!! Thanks and please email me anything that I should be aware of.

Timeline

COST OF VACCINATIONS

Anatoxal = Tetanus

Diphtheria € 9.00

Morupar = Measles

Mumps €30.00

Rubella

Hiberix = Hib €21.00

Imovax = Polio €10.00

Thanks much!

June 2007

June 2007

IF the applicant…

AND…

was any age at that time

June 2007

June 2007

Enclosures:

1. Applicant’s Statement

June 2007

APPLICANT’S STATEMENT

? 1. Alone

__

Here is the link to my earlier post on the police certificates. It actually comes from an Austrailian site but explains how to get police certificates from countries around the world.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1374425

and the Australian link was http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47p.pdf

He will need a police certificate from every country he has lived in for more than 6 months since being the age of 16 years old. But you will have to wait till you get your NOA2 before you start collecting the police certificates. The consulate wants them to be recent, I believe 3 months max. And yes you have to do the medical in Naples. It will be scheduled for you for the day before your consulate interview. And if there are certificates from other countries that aren't in Italian or English you will need certified translations. Also for your I-134 you as the sponsor will need letter from employer and bank. Plus it helps to have copies of tax returns for the last 3 years. And you will need to have your I-134 notarized. When you finish putting together your packet make an exact copy of everything in case anything gets lost.

Thank you for the information. Ok, I will have him wait until I have received the NOA2. Please feel free to post any information that I should need.

Filed: Country: South Africa
Timeline

Thanks for the advice Chess.

I dont have a vaccine record or any proof of innoculations that I have had as a child. Although I had many...

Will this be a problem? I dont know if there is enough time for me to go to the doctor to get the test that chirpu speaks of... the one that shows what you are immune against... What should I do?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mel

Timeline
Thanks for the advice Chess.

I dont have a vaccine record or any proof of innoculations that I have had as a child. Although I had many...

Will this be a problem? I dont know if there is enough time for me to go to the doctor to get the test that chirpu speaks of... the one that shows what you are immune against... What should I do?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mel

I think you will have to get that test even if it means rescheduling your interview. That or else get a family member in your country of origin to hunt down some records from the state or maybe even the schools might have it. The vaccines are necessary for U.S. entrance. You really don't want to go through the hassle of paying for train tickets and hotel in Napoli only to hear you have to go back for these records or test. You may try calling the Institute where they do the medical exam to ask if they can administer the test your speaking of. Maybe they can rush the test results the day before your medical interview. I'd recommend finding someone who speaks Italian to do the call though, cause their English isn't optimal. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.