melmaid101

Greencard holder moving to UK for husbands assignment

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping that someone might know the answer to this... my husband (American) has been transferred to the UK with his company for 2-3 years. We will definitely return to the US after the assignment. Does anyone know if I need to notify the USCIS? I would like the process to continue and keep the Greencard for our return. Thanks in advance for your help!

Melissa

Our story:

Met in Dublin, Ireland 11/2002 - fell in love

2003 - 2005 - spend time together during many vacations, visits, J1 visas and studying abroad

Our timeline:

10/04/2005 - filed K1 in VSC ... DAY 1

10/12/2005 - Check cashed, NOA1 online ... DAY 8

10/13/2005 - NOA2 online ... DAY 9

10/15/2005 - NOA1 via snail mail ... DAY 11

10/19/2005 - NOA2 via snail mail ... DAY 15

10/21/2005 - Letter from NVC saying petition on the way to Dublin Embassy ... DAY 17

11/17/2005 - Medical in Dublin DAY 44

11/22/2005 Interview and Visa in Hand!!! DAY 49

Love you Chris

Filed: Timeline
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping that someone might know the answer to this... my husband (American) has been transferred to the UK with his company for 2-3 years. We will definitely return to the US after the assignment. Does anyone know if I need to notify the USCIS? I would like the process to continue and keep the Greencard for our return. Thanks in advance for your help!

Melissa

Do you have a conditional green card?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Melissa

you should apply for a re-entry permit (form I-131) - this will allow you to stay out of the country for up to 2 years while keeping your GC. However, if you have a conditional GC you will still have to remove conditions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Melissa

you should apply for a re-entry permit (form I-131) - this will allow you to stay out of the country for up to 2 years while keeping your GC. However, if you have a conditional GC you will still have to remove conditions.

Thanks very much for the info...I do have a conditional green card. We are in the UK already so I hope I can still apply to remove the conditions and for the reentry

Our story:

Met in Dublin, Ireland 11/2002 - fell in love

2003 - 2005 - spend time together during many vacations, visits, J1 visas and studying abroad

Our timeline:

10/04/2005 - filed K1 in VSC ... DAY 1

10/12/2005 - Check cashed, NOA1 online ... DAY 8

10/13/2005 - NOA2 online ... DAY 9

10/15/2005 - NOA1 via snail mail ... DAY 11

10/19/2005 - NOA2 via snail mail ... DAY 15

10/21/2005 - Letter from NVC saying petition on the way to Dublin Embassy ... DAY 17

11/17/2005 - Medical in Dublin DAY 44

11/22/2005 Interview and Visa in Hand!!! DAY 49

Love you Chris

Isn't it ok if you just return to the US for a visit once every 6 months?

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Hi Everyone,

Melissa

Thanks very much for the info...I do have a conditional green card. We are in the UK already so I hope I can still apply to remove the conditions and for the reentry

You can apply to remove conditions from overseas, but you will have to be prepared to return to the US for an interview if called. Read up on preserving residency and re-entry permits. An absence from the country for 2-3 years could pose a problem, otherwise.

http://www.hooyou.com/i-485/MaintainlegalPRS.html

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

this could work but it could also go wrong. You have to show that you have not abandoned your residence in the US. Just returning for a visit every 6 month could look suspicious. Having the re-entry permit would help with proving that you have not intended to abandon your residence but are just temporarily out of the country.

this could work but it could also go wrong. You have to show that you have not abandoned your residence in the US. Just returning for a visit every 6 month could look suspicious. Having the re-entry permit would help with proving that you have not intended to abandon your residence but are just temporarily out of the country.

I kept my permanent residence in the UK alive by doing this. I was living/working in the US while my fiance was still living in the UK. When I went back to visit the UK, they would always ask - are you still resident here. I always said yes and we still had our house here. I never had any problem - because in the UK at least, they never really know how long you have been gone. They just know when you enter, you could've been gone for 2 days or 2 months.

Lifting Conditions

I kept my permanent residence in the UK alive by doing this. I was living/working in the US while my fiance was still living in the UK. When I went back to visit the UK, they would always ask - are you still resident here. I always said yes and we still had our house here. I never had any problem - because in the UK at least, they never really know how long you have been gone. They just know when you enter, you could've been gone for 2 days or 2 months.

What works in the UK may not work with the US.

"diaddie mermaid"

What works in the UK may not work with the US.

Fully aware of that - just sharing an experience.

Lifting Conditions

Hi Everyone,

Melissa

re-entry permits aren't too difficult. i'm an immigration paralegal, so i've filed a few of them.

what you'll need:

a copy of form I-131

Current US address

Color copy of biographic page of your passport

Current re-entry permit, if applicable

Color copy of green card

and since you're accompanying your husband on a work assignment, it's helpful to get a letter from his employer stating his job duties and the fact that the assignment is temporary.

you must file the re-entry permit while you are INSIDE THE US! but you don't have to stay here until it's approved - it can be mailed to you abroad.

hope this helps!

you must file the re-entry permit while you are INSIDE THE US!

yup its to late for that.. :whistle:

R.I.P. Diana 1982 - 28.08.2008

<3 WE MISS YOU <3

December 2oo7 - received 1o year GC!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.