Mikiek

Affidavit of Support question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there,

I am a US citizen and have been living in the UK for almost 3 years. I recently married a UK citizen and we are working on the visa process to go back to the US together. As a part of the DS-230 I need to fill out form I-864, Affidavit of Support, to prove that I make enough money to support the both of us. The form is asking for information from IRS taxes, but I have not filed since I moved here. Does anyone know if I HAVE to use the information from US tax returns or if I can somehow prove my income with my UK P-60 or some other way???

Thanks,

Mikiek's wife, Alison

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi there,

I am a US citizen and have been living in the UK for almost 3 years. I recently married a UK citizen and we are working on the visa process to go back to the US together. As a part of the DS-230 I need to fill out form I-864, Affidavit of Support, to prove that I make enough money to support the both of us. The form is asking for information from IRS taxes, but I have not filed since I moved here. Does anyone know if I HAVE to use the information from US tax returns or if I can somehow prove my income with my UK P-60 or some other way???

Thanks,

Mikiek's wife, Alison

Hi Alison,

You do have to do your U.S. tax returns, they are expected and required for the I-864.

I'm not sure if you are aware that you can't use your UK income for the affidavit of support (unless of course the income will continue from the same source when you return to the U.S.), although you will need to enter those figures for the last 3 years, converted to U.S. dollars.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Another requirement of the I-864 is US Domicile, if you gave up domicile while living overseas, you need to re-establish domicile before the visa interview in order to qualify to file I-864

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Mike,

You should have been filing annually, even though you were earning overseas. US Citizens have to pay tax all their lives, even if the income is earned elsewhere.

Yeah... We only just found that out recently :crying:

I have half of 2005, all of 2006 and 2007 to file. We have looked at websites for help in completing this but find it very complicated and dont want this to slow down our DCF.

We emailed a company in London for assistance but they want £600 - £900 per year, so that's a bill of £2,700!!! :wacko:

Anyone know of anyone that can help for a reasonable fee? Or any good website that we can read to try to understand it so we can file ourselves?

Many thanks for all your advise...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Mike,

You should have been filing annually, even though you were earning overseas. US Citizens have to pay tax all their lives, even if the income is earned elsewhere.

Yeah... We only just found that out recently :crying:

I have half of 2005, all of 2006 and 2007 to file. We have looked at websites for help in completing this but find it very complicated and dont want this to slow down our DCF.

We emailed a company in London for assistance but they want £600 - £900 per year, so that's a bill of £2,700!!! :wacko:

Anyone know of anyone that can help for a reasonable fee? Or any good website that we can read to try to understand it so we can file ourselves?

Many thanks for all your advise...

I've seen people say that there is assistance available at the London embassy I believe it is - which of course is free.

I would try posting your question in the UK forum, I'm sure they know there. Link to visa journey UK forum

Good luck!

We recently filed the last 3 years of my husbands taxes for immigration purposes. Ours ended up being quite straight forward, we used his P60's and then converted that info into dollars on the 1040 form, and then used form 2555 to exclude the income. There is info on the US Embassy London IRS website about it, including tables how to convert it into dollars for each year.

As far as the immigration stuff, I contacted the London embassy IRS department, and they told me to send an extra copy of each first page of the 1040 forms when we sent the forms, and asked them to stamp them as having been received and included a stamped envelope and they sent them back the next day, they told me this will be sufficient for immigration.

---------------------------------------

14/Jul/97 - Met Rick in UK

04/Nov/97 - Travelled to US on visitors visa

01/Jan/98 - Married in US

1998 - 2000 - Long process with Immigration obtaining Green Card #1.

20/May/2003 - Left US for UK

11/Feb/2004 - Child #1 born

14/Jul/2005 - Child #2 born

August 2007 - Decide we need to move back to USA. Kicking self for not getting citizenship.

24/Sep/2007 - I-130 sent

28/Sep/2007 - I-130 NOA1

12/Dec/2007 - I-130 Approved

11/Jan/2008 - Police Certificate applied for

11/Jan/2008 - DS-230 part 1 sent off

14/Jan/2008 - Medical booked for Jan 21st

21/Jan/2008 - Medical in London - all clear!

24/Jan/2008 - Statement of readiness sent to embassy

09/Feb/2008 - Police clearance arrived

14/Mar/2008 - Interview at 9am!! APPROVED!

18/Mar/2008 - Visa arrived!

22/Mar/2008 - Being made homeless!

23/Mar/2008 - Flight to USA!!

12/Apr/2008 - Greencard arrived!

Done with immigration until I can apply for citizenship in 2011.

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hi,

am not sure if this will be helpful to you, but I filed my taxes online for a couple of years while I was living in the US. (It was actually very easy, and for the current year is actually just clicking). I then decided to move to El Salvador, which meant becoming a citizen. Since I wanted to be in good standing for the process I filed taxes for one year I had missed my filing on, that is I backfiled for the year I missed. Once I moved to El Salvador, I was still able to file my US taxes using the same service. I was charged about $67, but maybe that was because I was overseas, and not overseas AND backfiling. Anyway it is worth a shot. The service I use is fileyourtaxes.com.

I wish you the best, and hope you find a good solution so you can be happily together in the US as soon as possible.

Nydia Y Neftaly (NYN)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.