w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Nevada surprise: John Edwards gets less than 4% and Ron Paul comes in 2nd!

116 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
If you poll VJ, you can bet your sweet azz it will be white men. :yes:

zomg pink men!11!111!1!1!!11

Feel better now? Care to discuss the topic now or just more whining?

actually, i thought the bolded part was whining..........

Let's start a thread on how to properly identify whining.

Why not do the poll I suggested earlier, Troll?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

??

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

??

i dont knwo what a git is but it sounds bad

git

By definition it's a "rotter" or a despicable person. In reality in English it's a colloquialism that affords itself to a more a luckier fellow. Much like a '#######' whilst the roots of the word are offensive, the actual use is endearing. A lucky 'git', a wealthy 'git' and a sodding 'git'... when used right is still a mate. A friend.

It's more positive these days.

The origins are from the word 'geat' which were a Scandinavian people living in Götaland, land of the Geats, currently within the borders of modern Sweden. The name of the Geats lives on in the Swedish counties of Västergötland and Östergötland, the Western and Eastern lands of the Geats, as well as in many toponyms.

Shut yer face you lucky git.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You know, arguing a medical procedure in the political sphere has always struck me as being somewhat silly. Frankly, I'd support a constitutional amendment to explicitly allow abortion (or ban attempts to ban it?) if it made the issue go away.

It is silly I agree - and its rather depressing that it always comes up around election time. Aren't you tired of hearing soundbites from voters saying "Ooh... I voted for so-and-so because of his moral stance of abortion". #### the economy... its like they only care about something that has no bearing on their daily lives whatsoever, except, presumably, to make them sleep better at night. The only reason we have this issue is because of the power and influence of fundamentalist conservatives who want to ban it, and because of that the equally reactionary liberal and feminist groups who come out to oppose it. They are right to oppose it IMO - but then I am rather biased on this. In the UK we have more voter apathy, but we don't have a strong, religious base clamouring for this to be a key election issue. Its simply not a relevant debate - and people have moved past it. As they should.

Of course - abortion is the flagship moral/medical issue, but not the only one. Stem cell research and cloning technologies are another.

Agreed. As a society, we ought to leave medical/scientific issues to the trained professionals. It is the height of arrogance for us to presume that their professional training can be completely disregarded and that without us, they'll have no moral compass of their own.

While I won't vote based solely on abortion, it's important that anti-abortion policies are not important to a presidential candidate. In other political races, I could care less; it doesn't really matter and a lot of people get stuck on it. I hate that it's made a campaign issue, however.

Re: letting medical pros make all the ethical decisions: are you out of your mind? They're not the "experts" in ethical decision making. Seriously, they have very little ethical training. Their jobs are very practical. I wouldn't tell a scientist how to perform stem cell research, but as a society we should have say in whether they can do it or not.

Scientists get plenty of ethical training.

Prof. Robert Winston, for example, has come out quite vocally in regard to unethical research on human cloning.

That said, even if individual scientists don't operate ethical there are organisational bodies that assess the ethical value of certain lines of scientific enquiry.

For the most part, however, I think Alex is right. Hence you have the situation where its perfectly legal and common practice for a medical doctor reviewing a patient's case notes (never having met or examined them) to recommend that the patient be denied insurance coverage for a pre-existing condition; or for research teams working for tobaccor (or indeed pharmaceutical) companies to discover that cigarettes cause cancer and respiratory diseases, but due to contractual agreements with their employer withhold their findings from the general public.