7 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I'm having extreme difficulty scheduling an appointment with the local office via INFOPASS :angry: :angry: :angry: .

My parents applied for citizenship (N-400) and now their green card is about to expire. I was told that I have to go to the local immigration office to get their passport stamped with a temporary extension so they can visit my brother in Canada and re-enter the US with no problems. Is there any other way of doing that without an appointment with the local office?

BTW, I get "At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later." when I try to schedule an

appointment using INFOPASS.

Thanks

KA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Kinga,

in your parents case I don't think there is any other way than getting a I-551 stamp at a local USCIS office for travel purposes. I am sure within the US an expired Greencard along with proof that your parents filed N-400 is enough to prove they are legal, but I wouldn't count on that for the POE. With proof of having filed N-400 the stamp should be issued without any problems.

For the infopass appointment: I have a friend who had the same problem, couldn't schedule an infopass app., so she just packed her bag and drove to the local office without appointment at all. She did that twice (because they really messed up her EAD and AOS case) and both times they helped her out and were friendly, scheduled a real appointment for her just a few weeks later. That was Denver. I have heard some not-so-friendly-stories from other local USCIS offices though... I guess it all depends, unfortunately. I would drop by there, if it's not to far of a drive and just ask.

I remember reading a law, if your parents have applied for naturalization more than six months prior to their cards expiration they do not need to apply to renew their Green Cards and will be issued a I-551 stamp at their local USCIS office immediately. If they applied less than six months before their GC's expiration they would have to file I-90 and pay the fee to renew their GC's, even if they have filed N-400.

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Kinga,

in your parents case I don't think there is any other way than getting a I-551 stamp at a local USCIS office for travel purposes. I am sure within the US an expired Greencard along with proof that your parents filed N-400 is enough to prove they are legal, but I wouldn't count on that for the POE. With proof of having filed N-400 the stamp should be issued without any problems.

For the infopass appointment: I have a friend who had the same problem, couldn't schedule an infopass app., so she just packed her bag and drove to the local office without appointment at all. She did that twice (because they really messed up her EAD and AOS case) and both times they helped her out and were friendly, scheduled a real appointment for her just a few weeks later. That was Denver. I have heard some not-so-friendly-stories from other local USCIS offices though... I guess it all depends, unfortunately. I would drop by there, if it's not to far of a drive and just ask.

I remember reading a law, if your parents have applied for naturalization more than six months prior to their cards expiration they do not need to apply to renew their Green Cards and will be issued a I-551 stamp at their local USCIS office immediately. If they applied less than six months before their GC's expiration they would have to file I-90 and pay the fee to renew their GC's, even if they have filed N-400.

Oh boy ...

You're right. I just read the passage about the 6 months law. That will be a problem (meaning they'll have to renew their green cards) beacuse they filed their N-400 5 months and 2 weeks before the green cards expired. Are they extremely strict when it comes to following this particular law? or is it pretty much dependent on the immigration officer you happen to talk to?

Thanks

KA

I'm not sure how it is in your city, but in Chicago, you can go in without an infopass too. The only difference is they let all those with an appointment in ahead of you.

12140.gif

Timeline
Oh boy ...

You're right. I just read the passage about the 6 months law. That will be a problem (meaning they'll have to renew their green cards) beacuse they filed their N-400 5 months and 2 weeks before the green cards expired. Are they extremely strict when it comes to following this particular law? or is it pretty much dependent on the immigration officer you happen to talk to?

Thanks

KA

Oh man, that sucks.

I assume that they are pretty strict on that, wouldn't make sense to me to keep the law up otherwise. I haven't heard of any exemption so far...

I don't want to give any wrong advice - I am not sure what to do at that point - I guess I would just give it a shot and stop by the local office (they can't do more than send you back out without answering your questions, right, but maybe you will meet a friendly IO there who can help you out) or try calling them.

I don't know if they process a N-400 that has been filed less than 6 months prior to the expiration date of the GC without the I-90 application.

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

If they do require my parents to renew their green cards, will they still need to do fingerprinting again? (biometric for N-400 was done just last week).

Thanks

KA

Timeline
If they do require my parents to renew their green cards, will they still need to do fingerprinting again? (biometric for N-400 was done just last week).

Thanks

KA

I would assume that, cause it's two really different applications (not like submitting I-765 along with I-485 that go together).

But I am guessing here - I have read through the Naturalization guide because I consider to file N-400 myself once my time comes up and for right now that's all I know. Have you tried finding someone in the Citizenship forum who eventually made a similar experience?

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.