Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
I have just got off the phone with a snooty French #######. I love it when Europeans think they know more about "the world" than us provincial American rubes as she attempted to explain how the Hong Kong television market works. She got everything wrong and I corrected her (nicely), she condescendingly told me that since HK was part of the "Democratic Republic of China" (sic) it was all the same and controlled out of Beijing. Something in me flipped and I had to smack her down - but what would I know? I'm just a dumb American who only lived and worked there for a year and helped set up a department there. I must learn to defer to my European betters.

See now that'll learn ya, Robin. Stop trying to look smart. You merikins have, at best, book lernin. We fayncey europeens have built in smarts. We're just more sofisticated from birth you know.

fewer than you'd think, actually ;)

mostly it's 'crikey!' and things of that nature ;)

however, I had an experience on the weekend that I've only ever heard about - I thought it was too cliched to ever happen, but I was wrong!

I was standing outside the supermarket waiting for Dave to bring the car over, and a guy started talking to me... I'd only said a few words when he said 'so, you from London?' to which I had to explain that sort of, but no; I'd been living there but am really from Australia (a VERY COMMONLY REQUIRED explanation in my life here ;) )... he then smiled knowingly, nodded, and said 'oh, Australia... Arnold Schwarzenegger, yeah?'

:lol:

I have to admit I wasn't able to keep myself from laughing... he didn't say much more after that :lol:

I have no words. That is too funny.

The UK Wiki

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Arnold the Aussie :lol:

We had our Ugly Christmas Sweater Party today at work! Its been a really fun, festive, if somewhat freakish day. Two guys wore womens sweaters that are so hideous! I crack up every time I see them. :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I have just got off the phone with a snooty French #######. I love it when Europeans think they know more about "the world" than us provincial American rubes as she attempted to explain how the Hong Kong television market works. She got everything wrong and I corrected her (nicely), she condescendingly told me that since HK was part of the "Democratic Republic of China" (sic) it was all the same and controlled out of Beijing. Something in me flipped and I had to smack her down - but what would I know? I'm just a dumb American who only lived and worked there for a year and helped set up a department there. I must learn to defer to my European betters.

I love it when Europeans tell you what it's REALLY like in America when they've only been once or twice and have gleaned much of their info from telly or films, and then proceed to tell you that as an American, you can't really know what it's like in America because you're prejudiced. Riiiiiiiiight.

I love this too. I especially enjoy the lectures on what people in "middle America" are like.

Well you know all we do is eat cows n' corn and go to ho'downs on the weekends! And y'know we have 2 "teef" (teeth) to share around the family. What are dem things called shoes?

however, I had an experience on the weekend that I've only ever heard about - I thought it was too cliched to ever happen, but I was wrong!

I was standing outside the supermarket waiting for Dave to bring the car over, and a guy started talking to me... I'd only said a few words when he said 'so, you from London?' to which I had to explain that sort of, but no; I'd been living there but am really from Australia (a VERY COMMONLY REQUIRED explanation in my life here ;) )... he then smiled knowingly, nodded, and said 'oh, Australia... Arnold Schwarzenegger, yeah?'

I have to admit I wasn't able to keep myself from laughing... he didn't say much more after that :lol:

That's brilliant...straight out of Dumb & Dumber!

wtf-picard.jpg

or when Americans tell me how all Brit food is ####### and they only heard about it on the telly or went once back in 1990.

OMG - what is the deal with that? Jeremy *loves* Brit food and I am not sure what I missed... there is this huge stereotype about it and I missed it completely... same as the bad teeth one tbh... I am sorry but aside from my gran (who assured everyone when she got her new false teeth a few years ago that they were the same as the previous ones - she looks a bit like Wallace or Tim "Nice-But-Dim") I don't really know anyone with truly awful teeth... sure there are the odd few that have crooked ones here and there but no more than I see here... Fer Chrissakes - Jeremy's aunt only has about three teeth and I have seen many people here missing teeth so what's the deal!? Saying that, Jeremy *did* grow up on a trailer park (when he was lucky) so maybe it's just the company his family keeps!? :lol:

:o OMG - were they serious?! I've been asked if I am from Australia on occasion - it seems that most people don't seem to be able to tell the difference here...

In other news, I have wrapped more presents! Yippee!!! Our tree now looks bountiful and I am not sure where we are going to fit any more!!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

StP -- that is too funny. :D

All hands on deck here right now -- my MIL is coming tomorrow so we're putting the house in order. When I say "we", I mean "he". He's now out hoovering the Taurus, and I have been instructed not to do my usual routine of walking into a room and letting all my cr@p explode all over the place. My study has somehow become a dump again, with unpacked suitcases, unopened junk mail, dirty clothes and receipts everywhere.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Timeline
or when Americans tell me how all Brit food is ####### and they only heard about it on the telly or went once back in 1990.

OMG - what is the deal with that? Jeremy *loves* Brit food and I am not sure what I missed... there is this huge stereotype about it and I missed it completely... same as the bad teeth one tbh... I am sorry but aside from my gran (who assured everyone when she got her new false teeth a few years ago that they were the same as the previous ones - she looks a bit like Wallace or Tim "Nice-But-Dim") I don't really know anyone with truly awful teeth... sure there are the odd few that have crooked ones here and there but no more than I see here... Fer Chrissakes - Jeremy's aunt only has about three teeth and I have seen many people here missing teeth so what's the deal!? Saying that, Jeremy *did* grow up on a trailer park (when he was lucky) so maybe it's just the company his family keeps!? :lol:

Aly-

I don't know anyone with (only) 3 teeth. American or British.

Ta da! I finally got a pic of my Xmas tree uploaded. Here it is in all its glory.

tree.jpg

Please to note authentic 1970s wood panelling and AWESOME mocha brown carpet.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Aly-

I don't know anyone with (only) 3 teeth. American or British.

:lol: Does that mean I win!??! Seriously... I have always said that Jeremy's aunt is a bit... umm.. "special" - she is a very sweet lady and I am not sure what the problem is as she has a toothbrush. It's next to the sink, half full can of dog food and fork and scaly black bath :lol: No joke. I enter the trailer under duress (and to not hurt her feelings) but I wait until we are at the store if I need to use the bathroom :blink:

Maven - the tree looks lovely - it's just missing you gazing at B lovingly while he plays guitar :lol:

And after I so joyfully thought I had my voice back, I find out *after* calling Jeremy at work to say we need a printer cartridge so I can print a job application that I don't. I think he just about understood me but I must have sounded bad as he insisted that I get some rest even though I feel miles better than yesterday :thumbs:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Timeline

Well, Shane MacGowan I think is the exception that proves the rule, though he could go either way as British or Irish

32224.jpg

Ta da! I finally got a pic of my Xmas tree uploaded. Here it is in all its glory.

tree.jpg

Please to note authentic 1970s wood panelling and AWESOME mocha brown carpet.

SWEET!!! Too bad that carpet wasn't shag.

I once used to babysit these kids and every once in a while I'd have to watch them at the grandparents house. Not only was their den in the basement wood paneled but one wall had a wallpaper mural of Mt. St Helens (or some other Rocky Mountain/Sierra peak). 70's-tastic! All that was missing was a framed photo of Tom Selleck

magnum_pi_tom_selleck.jpg

wtf-picard.jpg

I just try not to pay attention to Jeremy's aunt - of course, she is our only guest at Christmas so I am sure if I post pics you will get to see :lol: Maybe she has more than three teeth - I dunno, I haven't counted. I know she has some stumps but I don't think they count...

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

This is kinda neat - something my dad e-mailed me :)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Timeline

That was very interesting! However, the music was distracting, as it is the soundtrack from The Last of the Mohicans! It made me think of hot Daniel Day Lewis on Madeleine Stowe during a fortress seige action.

wtf-picard.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.