Germlish

DCF through Frankfurt

69 posts in this topic

... it will take an additional three weeks before a decision is made. ...

Wow, that's a long time. Ours took about 10 minutes - at least I had the impression that the decision had been made while I was standing there and the petition was being reviewed.

And you asked if there was any to way to speed things up?

The only other option then is for your husband to go with you on a tourist visa waiver. He has to return to Germany anyway for the interview but from everything else I've read in the forums, don't even think he can just stay there - could be a reason for them to deny his visa.

Maybe something will happen that things will speed up.

Crossing my fingers and biting my thumbs :-)

Germlish:

Thanks.

I phoned the Consulate and emailed. The representative on the phone said it would take about three more weeks. An Immigration Assistant responding via email a few days later said it will take anywhere from 60 to 90 days. I asked if I could speed up the process at all by visiting the Consulate now and she said, "No." I asked if I could re-file the petition and she said, "No." I asked if I could expedite the petition and she said, "No."

I referenced your case and she said you were, "lucky." I have no idea what that means since mostly everyone--that I know of--who has submitted the petition in person has a had a pretty speedy case, provided that all was in order.

What really ticks me off is that when going in person, the petition is approved virtually on the spot, provided that it is complete. When you mail in the petition, it takes 60 to 90 days to adjudicate. Why? I understand that people who appear in person are processed at a much faster pace and rightfully so, but there is no reason why a mailed-in petition should take 60 to 90 days to adjudicate when, if you go in person, it only takes about a week at the most.

I wish the Consulate would just say that it would be better to file in person... We still haven't received a refund for the first payment we made. We've lost €160 and our petition will take another month or so... :crying:

I didn't and don't mind waiting a month... But three months is ridiculous and I wish I would've just paid for the flight from Berlin to Frankfurt to walk in my petition.

Now I have to hope for the best and stay patient.

Grrr... I hate immigration and everything about it.

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

April 15, 2006 - I-130 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

April 22, 2006 - I-130 returned to us (personal checks not acceptable)

April 24, 2006 - I-130 resubmitted with Credit Card Payment Form

June 14, 2006 - I-130 Approved

June 15, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

June 17, 2006 - DS 230 Part 1 & OF-169 mailed to the Consulate

June 26, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

June 27, 2006 - Medical Examination in Berlin

July 21, 2006 - Interview at Frankfurt Consulate

July 21, 2006 - Visa Approved!

August 22, 2006 - America!

July 26, 2008 - I-751 sent to VSC

August 1, 2008 - Check cashed

August 1, 2008 - NOA-1 received

September 9, 2008 - Biometics Appointment

March 12, 2009 - Transfer from VSC to CSC?

March 16, 2009 - Approved (10-year green card should be mailed within 60 days)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Heya Zauberblume,

I asked an acquaintance who works in immigration about the delay with mailed-in petitions at Frankfurt, and why this seems to be a 'new' or 'current' thing.

It's PCS (permanent change of station - I think?!) season for the US military members posted here. Not only that, this year is apparently a big one. So her suggestion was that all these single military members who have acquired themselves a spouse (;)) during their tour and have now been given orders to go back to the US and frantically filing I-130s at Frankfurt. And since orders are often given less than 120 days in advance (and let's face it, immigration is something a lot of people avoid until the last minute) a lot of these people will be doing walk-ins.

I still don't think that it warrants a 90-day wait on our part, and I'm sure this info will do nothing for your growling, but I hope it might come some way to explaining why you, why now.

I know on the form they send you back if something is wrong, it says 'If you wish to travel within 120 days, we suggest you file this in person,' but IMO this information should be published and readily available, and at least be on Frankfurt's page of the USCIS website (and maybe they'll remove that part about Deutschmarks at the same time..)

I've got everything crossed your petition gets a speedy approval and you get an interview in double-quick time :)

Germlish - sorry to derail but this thread is such a great reference for Frankfurters it's good to have everything in it :thumbs:

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Heya Zauberblume,

I asked an acquaintance who works in immigration about the delay with mailed-in petitions at Frankfurt, and why this seems to be a 'new' or 'current' thing.

It's PCS (permanent change of station - I think?!) season for the US military members posted here. Not only that, this year is apparently a big one. So her suggestion was that all these single military members who have acquired themselves a spouse (;)) during their tour and have now been given orders to go back to the US and frantically filing I-130s at Frankfurt. And since orders are often given less than 120 days in advance (and let's face it, immigration is something a lot of people avoid until the last minute) a lot of these people will be doing walk-ins.

I still don't think that it warrants a 90-day wait on our part, and I'm sure this info will do nothing for your growling, but I hope it might come some way to explaining why you, why now.

I know on the form they send you back if something is wrong, it says 'If you wish to travel within 120 days, we suggest you file this in person,' but IMO this information should be published and readily available, and at least be on Frankfurt's page of the USCIS website (and maybe they'll remove that part about Deutschmarks at the same time..)

I've got everything crossed your petition gets a speedy approval and you get an interview in double-quick time :)

Germlish - sorry to derail but this thread is such a great reference for Frankfurters it's good to have everything in it :thumbs:

Candace:

Thanks! At least I know now why there is a much longer delay than in previous months.

I also considered filing in person after having the petition returned to me. However, I looked at timelines from forum members here and on another website, and all those petitions were approved in about three weeks. I was not in a hurry, per se, in April. My postgraduate program doesn't end until July 28 so I can't leave before that. (I was just nervous about my husband travelling with me in June b/c an immigration petition is on file and we didn't want any hassles trying to enter the country.)

I think the information on the Consulate website should be made clearer. I simply had no idea that it would really take sixty to ninety days. Moreover, the representative on the phone said it would only take an additional three weeks from the time that I phoned, which would mean that I'd get a response in the middle of June. I got a different timeline via an email response. Since we have gathered all of our documents, the second that I get Packet 3, I'm faxing the checklist--maybe that same day. In that case, I hope that we'll have our interview by the end of July. August is not too late either since I've already found an apartment and my friend will visit it and take photos... Now there's no need at all to go to the States until the end of August.

Such a whirlwind, this process...

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

zauberblume, there are still three months left before you need to be in the States, and as difficult as it seems the best thing to do in this visa process is to calm down and be patient. I'm almost certain it will all turn out fine.

What you can do at this point is to think ahead. Packet 3 will contain the DS-230 and the I-864 (Affidavit of support), which you or a co-sponsor will need to fill out. You can also ask your spouse to request a copy of the police certificate which takes a few weeks and if you live close to a consulate approved doctor, send him to the exam. While this will not speed up the process at USCIS, it will make the consular phase shorter. And Frankfurt can be quick...

Finally, your husband can accompany to the US, but because his immigration paperwork is currently being processed, he should bring evidence of ties in Germany. A letter from his employer, a rent contract, or whatever else shows that he is planning to leave the country will help him get in. It's not a certain thing, but chances are that a 2-week stay in the US, especially since he's waiting for an immigrant visa and you're living in Germany as well, is not an issue.

Good luck on entering grad school, btw. It's a blast...

edited to say: I thought the thread ended on the last page. Mornings are not my time, so sorry about the interference...

Edited by Fischkoepfin

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Just sitting here hacking on the noteboon on a cold Saturday wishing the weather could be more like Atlanta when the doorbell rings (about 20 minutes ago).

)(=)/$"(§ who the heck is bothering me.

Oh - the mailman.

He has a big envelope, registered, for which he needs a signature.

No problem ... but wait, I've seen this envelope before .....

Where?

{sign sign ...... BING

The Visa has arrived!!!!!

Seems like mission impossible because while we have indeed cleared a huge milestone, we still have entry, SSAN, temporary green card, permanant GC ahead of us.

We are both thrilled of course but with the USCIS and DHS and DS I guess I'll really believe it when we have retired after long carreers in the US. :-)

If necessity is the mother of invention, then laziness is the mother of necessity. If people wern't too lazy to feed, care and saddle horses, we probably wouldn't have cars.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Seems like mission impossible because while we have indeed cleared a huge milestone, we still have entry, SSAN, temporary green card, permanant GC ahead of us.

Hey Presto! Congratulations!!! Walk in the park, eh? :)

Entry, stamp in the pp (there is no 'temporary' card), card, removing conditions.. all even easier than what you've just done. We used to have a great thread of POE experiences in the archives... time to start a new one. The documentary part of this journey is sooooo easy once you're in the US. Just become a compulsive paper-saver and you're golden! :thumbs:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

What you can do at this point is to think ahead. Packet 3 will contain the DS-230 and the I-864 (Affidavit of support), which you or a co-sponsor will need to fill out. You can also ask your spouse to request a copy of the police certificate which takes a few weeks and if you live close to a consulate approved doctor, send him to the exam. While this will not speed up the process at USCIS, it will make the consular phase shorter. And Frankfurt can be quick.

Thanks, Fischkoepfin. Your optimism is helpful. I do think all will turn out fine in the end as well. We've gathered all of the required documents. My co-sponsor and I have both filled out the Affidavit of Support. I'm literally just waiting to fax in the Checklist. An interview sometime in July would be nice. His medical appointment is two weeks from now so that'll be done. Once we get to Frankfurt, all we have to do is go to our interview. (We've even gathered photos from our wedding and other miscellaneous photos from the last three years. We have some other documents also to prove that we have an ongoing relationship.) We're just ready to go! :dance:

I'm still ticked off about the slowness of mailed-in petitions to USCIS... but there just isn't anything I can do.

As far as grad school goes... I did it before for my MA program. It was fine. But I'm nervous about this PhD thing. I'm having doubts about my research now. And it's for the next five years. What a ways to go!

Congrats once again, Germlish!

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

Timeline

Thanks Zauberblume!

All I can add is that the preparation is important.

My Affadavit of Support didn't have a current tax return and that was a show stopper. But the affadavit doesn't need to be signed in front of the consulate anymore.

The medical was also no problem, done at the same time we did the I-130. I recommend to get all the impfungen done with your Hausarzt because the Krankenkasse doesn't charge, the board physican will.

We needed no photos. Doesn't hurt to have them and I think if the applicant appears at the consulate alone it may be different.

And of course the normal stuff:

- No electronic devices in the consulate

- Bring cash if you can

- Bring snacks, something to read, inkpen

- arrive by about 7:00 am

- stand in the right hand line to get the number

- go straight to the cashier after entering the main building (window 23 I think)

- No jewlery or glases in the photo, and both ears are visible - no stray hairs covering anything

Still biting thumbs and crossing fingers!

If necessity is the mother of invention, then laziness is the mother of necessity. If people wern't too lazy to feed, care and saddle horses, we probably wouldn't have cars.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

What you can do at this point is to think ahead. Packet 3 will contain the DS-230 and the I-864 (Affidavit of support), which you or a co-sponsor will need to fill out. You can also ask your spouse to request a copy of the police certificate which takes a few weeks and if you live close to a consulate approved doctor, send him to the exam. While this will not speed up the process at USCIS, it will make the consular phase shorter. And Frankfurt can be quick.

Thanks, Fischkoepfin. Your optimism is helpful. I do think all will turn out fine in the end as well. We've gathered all of the required documents. My co-sponsor and I have both filled out the Affidavit of Support. I'm literally just waiting to fax in the Checklist. An interview sometime in July would be nice. His medical appointment is two weeks from now so that'll be done. Once we get to Frankfurt, all we have to do is go to our interview. (We've even gathered photos from our wedding and other miscellaneous photos from the last three years. We have some other documents also to prove that we have an ongoing relationship.) We're just ready to go! :dance:

I'm still ticked off about the slowness of mailed-in petitions to USCIS... but there just isn't anything I can do.

As far as grad school goes... I did it before for my MA program. It was fine. But I'm nervous about this PhD thing. I'm having doubts about my research now. And it's for the next five years. What a ways to go!

Congrats once again, Germlish!

You'll be fine immigration-wise. It's a nuisance, certainly, but once you're done with it you'll get over it.

As to grad school, doubt is one of the true markers of people in the Ph.D. program. I'm entering my seventh year (had some tough luck and some immigration problems), and I'm finally getting to the point where I'm more certain about things. I have changed my research project three times now, but I don't know a single person who stuck with their original idea for more than a year. The thing that noone tells you about is that you're stuck with your project for much longer than 5 years unless you plan to go for a non-academic career. It's a scary thought; I know. But just as in this journey, you won't be alone...

Germlish, all the best to your visa!! That was really quick... :thumbs:

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Fisch, what are you studying, if I may ask? It helps to read your experience.

To All:

I received Packet 3 today. It looks like we'll meet our travel date in late August if all goes according to plan. :dance: Phew!

We're going to quickly but carefully read through the forms from the Consulate. There are some additional forms about photograph requirements, vaccination requirements, and I-864 joint sponsor procedures. We're looking to fill out the DS-230 and fax in the OF-169 by Saturday. Because most of it is in German, which I am not fluent in, I'm not sure if we can actually fax the OF-169 or if we have to fax both the OF-169 and DS-230 or if both have to be mailed. I'll have my husband read it when he gets back home. Does anyone know offhand?

And he has his medical exam next week!

Will keep you all updated.

Thanks for the support, too! :)

Edited by zauberblume

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

Timeline

I have my first night in my new home behind me now, just 8 weeks and 6 days till we are again together but who's counting .... uh ... I think we ALL are counting. Something, anyway.

Zauberblume, if there is any way you can bring the paperwork directly to the consulate, I would recommend it. I looked, studied, researched and Googled the heck out of everything till I was blue in the face and there were still three items that would have caused the entire packed to be returned. Being there once gave us a chance to let them look at everything and tell us what was needed before we came in for the interview.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I received Packet 3 today. It looks like we'll meet our travel date in late August if all goes according to plan. :dance: Phew!

Yay Zauber! :dance: So pleased it (finally!) arrived. I guess I should start getting excited in a couple of weeks :)

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

We have our interview schedule for July 21. Perfect! It's literally one day after I finish my current graduate program here in Berlin. It's the day after my last exam. Timing couldn't be anymore ideal. It's also on a Friday and I've never been to Frankfurt so we'll make a weekend out of it! So happy!

Now I'm preparing all that I can, in terms of the new I-864 and other documents. I'll be reading all about interview experiences specific to Frankfurt! I'll compile notes and try to get us as prepared as possible. Although, I have been doing that since this process started, so I don't think we have too much to worry about. My only concern is the I-864.

I-864: I talked to the Frankfurt representative and she said that it's usually required that you are specifically employed on the day of the interview. If you're not, then you're unemployed no matter if you have secured a job that starts in August or September. That's my problem. My "job" starts on September 5 and I've already signed the contract. She encouraged me to bring it along but it likely will mean that I'll still need a joint sponsor. I hope not. If so, I have one, but my joint sponsor (my mother) has her own issues, which I hope don't become problematic. (Like the fact that she hasn't worked in nearly three years. But she takes care of her elderly father who is 86 and is legally blind so... It's not like she's a lazy bum. But they have shared assets, which is another problem. But he would've sponsored me except that he has no proof of citizenship. So, hopefully the CO will understand and wave us along!) I'm crossing my thumbs!

Above all, we hope to leave Germany around August 23 with the CR-1 in hand.

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

For some reason, I can't edit the post above, which is rather annoying.

Anyway, I wrote the above post kind of quickly so some of what I posted may be unclear. Or, in that context, completely wrong. I should clarify.

I-864: I talked to a Frankfurt Consulate representative. She said that if you're not employed on the day of the interview, then you're unemployed. It doesn't matter if you have secured a job that starts in August or September.

I didn't mean to write that you have to have a job for the I-864. It's clear that you don't have to have a job. It probably helps if you do, especially one that has an income over the poverty guidelines. You can use other means to show that "the immigrant has enough financial support to live without concern of becoming reliant on U.S. government welfare."

Alles klar, oder?

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Yoohoo and whew!

My wife has been her now ten day and my vcaation time will end tomorrow.

She had mostly no problems at the ATL immigration station and we are now waiting on her greencard and ssan.

To anyone out there reading this anonomously, this is the way to do it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.