Germlish

DCF through Frankfurt

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I have been looking for experiences from people in similar situations but haven't found much so I figured I'd post my own.

I am being transferred to the US by my company with the goal of taking up work by 1 June 2006.

Our current plans (despite my shortcut post) are to submit everything to the Frankfurt consulate, and hope that my wifes plans to leave the apartment and her job by 1 Sept 2006 are not too short-fused.

I finished the I-130 "package" totaling 20+ pages (not to mention the 50 or 60 pages in the trash because of mistrakes) today and will probably bring it to Frankfurt on 25 or 26 April. I have also started on the other paperwork.

Questions I have;

Translations of divorce decrees: We were both divorced in Germany and my German is good enough to translate the documents. Can I do this myself and affirm they are ok, or do I even need to translate them at all - can the consulate do it? Or is there a list of translators out there somewhere that can do this?

Forms: I am using the forms from http://www.usa-federal-forms.com/. While they aren't perfect, I find them vastly better than anything else available - the ITAOP system lets you enter and save the data. Does anyone have any experience with submitting these forms to the officials?

Paper size and type: The only paper I have is either DIN-A4 or US Letter letterhead from my employer. I have printed everything on the backs of the letterhead to keep the size in letter - I wonder if this is going to make my life difficult? (We can add this to the "staples" and "envelopes" category.)

Anything I've forgotten - recommendations?

If necessity is the mother of invention, then laziness is the mother of necessity. If people wern't too lazy to feed, care and saddle horses, we probably wouldn't have cars.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I have been looking for experiences from people in similar situations but haven't found much so I figured I'd post my own.

I am being transferred to the US by my company with the goal of taking up work by 1 June 2006.

Our current plans (despite my shortcut post) are to submit everything to the Frankfurt consulate, and hope that my wifes plans to leave the apartment and her job by 1 Sept 2006 are not too short-fused.

I finished the I-130 "package" totaling 20+ pages (not to mention the 50 or 60 pages in the trash because of mistrakes) today and will probably bring it to Frankfurt on 25 or 26 April. I have also started on the other paperwork.

Questions I have;

Translations of divorce decrees: We were both divorced in Germany and my German is good enough to translate the documents. Can I do this myself and affirm they are ok, or do I even need to translate them at all - can the consulate do it? Or is there a list of translators out there somewhere that can do this?

Forms: I am using the forms from http://www.usa-federal-forms.com/. While they aren't perfect, I find them vastly better than anything else available - the ITAOP system lets you enter and save the data. Does anyone have any experience with submitting these forms to the officials?

Paper size and type: The only paper I have is either DIN-A4 or US Letter letterhead from my employer. I have printed everything on the backs of the letterhead to keep the size in letter - I wonder if this is going to make my life difficult? (We can add this to the "staples" and "envelopes" category.)

Anything I've forgotten - recommendations?

hiya Germlish, I jut caught up with your other post.. graceful exit! :)

first off, on the paper, you are overthinking. Yes, you're dealing with a US entity, but where are most of us going to get US sized paper when overseas? heheh.. I used the 'reduce' button on my printer to print my forms etc. Whatever works for you is ok; you won't be penalized (staples and envelopes.. you're going to have FUN! lol)

If your German is sufficient, it's certainly been done to do your own translations. My Greek was not sufficient and I didn't trust any of my friends there enough to handle the job, so I used an agency. *That* was very expensive.

Your timeline looks reasonable, but I'm wondering what the heck is in your I-130 packet.. but look, don't let others do your deal for you; I am NOT second-guessing you, not after 18 hours of research or whatever you said. Seriously, back away from the PC! :star:

You seem to have a good grasp on the process. I'll recommend that you search the archives if you haven't already (http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.php?s=&act=Search&mode=adv Be sure to set the date to 'any' and narrow yourself to the DCF Forum) as I know there are a few Ffurt stories in there. Also visit www.kamya.com/interview for experiences... really there is not much to this. Hopefully the DCF Guide helped you, and the CR-1 Guide will also be helpful for the visa application portion.

I look forward to getting to know you and cheering you on through your DCF!

meauxna

PS: you were spot on and 'got' it quickly re: the VWP plan. It's all about 'intent'. If you get bored or still hope it will work, google/groups for "10 foot pole" and you'll get an earful on the topic. Plus, you'll find that the method you are using is so far superior to a VWP AOS that it's not even funny. My hub is up for his US citizenship already in the same time it takes many to just get a Green Card. Seriously, you're on to The Good Thing here. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hello Germlish,

I am doing DCF Frankfurt also; we mailed our I-130 and its gazillions of pieces of paper on 11th April. We're not so far ahead of you so I'm afraid I can't offer any handy tips or advice at this point. Just wanted to say hi :)

I'll keep my timeline updated as we progress; do feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

I actually haven't found any experiences posted on this website for the Frankfurt Consulate via DCF. There are some experiences available though for IR-1/CR-1, which is a similar process to what we are doing.

My husband and I have re-submitted our I-130 after a payment problem. As far as I can tell, the process seems to be somewhat quick given that they received our package and immediately sent it back within a week.

I actually brought US size paper with me to Germany because I had to write my graduate thesis. I have a huge pack left over. Honestly, it makes no difference. After photocopying everything, it may be more visually appealing if all the paper is one uniform size. I'm using European size paper and US size paper. Doh!

We're hoping to move to Massachusetts in late July or early August. I hope our plans aren't too strict either. But we actually have all of our documents even for the interview stage. We're only waiting for the "Police Certificate" which might take up to two weeks. The minute we get our I-130 approval and "packet 3," we will send "packet 3" off the next day (or whatever the process is) and also fax the "Document Worksheet" so hopefully our interview will be scheduled in early June. (It's a tight schedule, but I'm hoping for the best.)

Good luck!

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

April 15, 2006 - I-130 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

April 22, 2006 - I-130 returned to us (personal checks not acceptable)

April 24, 2006 - I-130 resubmitted with Credit Card Payment Form

June 14, 2006 - I-130 Approved

June 15, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

June 17, 2006 - DS 230 Part 1 & OF-169 mailed to the Consulate

June 26, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

June 27, 2006 - Medical Examination in Berlin

July 21, 2006 - Interview at Frankfurt Consulate

July 21, 2006 - Visa Approved!

August 22, 2006 - America!

July 26, 2008 - I-751 sent to VSC

August 1, 2008 - Check cashed

August 1, 2008 - NOA-1 received

September 9, 2008 - Biometics Appointment

March 12, 2009 - Transfer from VSC to CSC?

March 16, 2009 - Approved (10-year green card should be mailed within 60 days)

Timeline

Thanks for the replies everyone!

@meauxna - USA and Canada are the only countries in the world still on the letter size standard. Mexico gets stuck with it because of the cheap paper from the us. Guess I should done everything on A4 :-)

I was thinking the paper size was solved by using originals that had been ordered or picked up at the consulate. I have everything on the back of my companies letterhead. Might look funny but it works.

I asked an agency in San Francisco for the costs and it was over $600 for what I wanted. I asked the USCIS agent on the phone if I could do it and he didn't seem to think it would be wrong.

We needed translations to German for her passport and name change, and the recommended place was asking like € 60/page. We found someone who did it for € 66,- for everything.

Pages in my my I-130:

2x I-130,

8x G-325 biographic info,

1x marriage certificate,

1x my birth certificate,

1x her passport copy

2x german divorce decrees (total 5 pages),

2x translation div decrees (5 more pages)

= 23 pages so far.

@ candace - I am hoping to be able to take everything needed with me (including my wife) to the first trip up there and do everything as much as possible all at once. I need to be back in the US by June, and I want it all done before I am gone.

I've seen your posts about the passport maiden name. I recognized that as a problem very early and while in Vegas paid the extra money to get the Apostille here within a month. After I had that we could get the name change done by the local Standesamt (State Registrar), then apply for an express passport, which should arrive Monday.

Once I have that, her and I will be going to Frankfurt, turbo.

@zauberblume - I was in the US begining of April and picking up us letter paper was on my list - however, reading my list wasn't on my list so I came back without it.

Can I ask what the payment problem was? I'm intending to do this in person and I understand that Frankfurt takes credit cards, but how do we send money in Germany - Paypal ???

And another BIGGIE question to any and all. If my wife has to do the interview without me being there, will her lack of english be a big problem?

If necessity is the mother of invention, then laziness is the mother of necessity. If people wern't too lazy to feed, care and saddle horses, we probably wouldn't have cars.

Timeline

Hey meauxna - searching the archives tells me that I'm not logged on - must be a system bug, I'll try again later.

Timeline
Hey meauxna - searching the archives tells me that I'm not logged on - must be a system bug, I'll try again later.

Dave may be the only one who has reported the entire German experience: http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.p...89&hl=frankfurt

Let me know if you can't dig out any more posts from the archives (you should be able to surf there from that link). You can also PM CaptainEwok (administrator) or post to the Site Related Discussion forum about your search results. (don't know if you needed to be registered back then to search? seems silly...)

On the paper size, my packages were a mixture of paper sizes; I really would not worry over that one. :)

If your wife interviews without you, they should conduct the interview in English or German, her choice.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline
... I understand that Frankfurt takes credit cards, but how do we send money in Germany - Paypal ???

We used a personal check drawn on a US bank account, on the guidance sheet the other options are a cashier's check or money order for mail applications.

I'd call them up if you can't find a suitable method (their telephone lines are available mornings only I believe) because the Frankfurt office website does also say 'or equivalent in euros' (although it's pretty out of date in other things) so I suppose you may also be able to pay with a euro money order? :wacko:

~Candace

NOA 3/31/17

@zauberblume - I was in the US begining of April and picking up us letter paper was on my list - however, reading my list wasn't on my list so I came back without it.

Can I ask what the payment problem was? I'm intending to do this in person and I understand that Frankfurt takes credit cards, but how do we send money in Germany - Paypal ???

In our mailed application, we sent a Zur Verrechnung check. The Consulate does not accept personal checks or Zur Verrechnung checks. As per the document mailed back to me from the American Consulate General, the Consulate only accepts "US Postal Money Order, Cashiers Checks or Credit Card payment form payable to Department of Homeland Security." This document asks that we resubmit the entire package. Attached to the form was a Credit Card payment form. We used that and mailed it today.

If you take your application in person, there may be different requirements. However, I'm certain that these are the requirements for mailed applications within Germany as I have just experienced it. The Consulate does not accept personal checks or Zur Verrechnung checks. (I wish I could pin that so anyone else who is applying would know that. I had no idea and unfortunately lost a week of processing time. Oh well. Not a biggie since we found out quickly.)

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

Meauxna,

Do you know how to search the archives for DCF? I can't seem to figure it out.

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

Timeline

In our mailed application, we sent a Zur Verrechnung check. The Consulate does not accept personal checks or Zur Verrechnung checks. As per the document mailed back to me from the American Consulate General, the Consulate only accepts "US Postal Money Order, Cashiers Checks or Credit Card payment form payable to Department of Homeland Security." This document asks that we resubmit the entire package. Attached to the form was a Credit Card payment form. We used that and mailed it today.

If you take your application in person, there may be different requirements. However, I'm certain that these are the requirements for mailed applications within Germany as I have just experienced it. The Consulate does not accept personal checks or Zur Verrechnung checks. (I wish I could pin that so anyone else who is applying would know that. I had no idea and unfortunately lost a week of processing time. Oh well. Not a biggie since we found out quickly.)

Zauberblume - yep, same thing for us. We mailed a US personal check: Just received the returned I-130 in the post today along with the Credit Card payment form, which we will complete and re-send tomorrow. Grrr!

So scratch what I said above -FRANKFURT DON'T ACCEPT PERSONAL CHECKS!

NOA 3/31/17

Timeline

This is how I search the archives:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.p...Search&mode=adv

I set the date to 'any' and narrow it to the DCF Forum.

You can also search by user name if you want only Dave's posts, for example.

I surf to that link by going to the top of any page. Where the 'search' box is, click on 'advanced'. At the advanced search page there is a link for searching the archives.

I hope those of you who joined after Jan 06 can search in there; if not, please post in the Site Related Discussion forum. Admin should be able to fix that.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Meauxna,

Thanks! I was able to find a few more posts about DCF in Germany.

Candace,

It's quite irritating, isn't it? At least for me it was. I thought I read the website rather well and it never said anything about not accepting personal or Zur Verrechnung checks. When you click on visa payment options on the U.S. Embassy Frankfurt website, it's kind of vague anyway. Now I need to try to get my €161.00/$190.00 back from the U.S. Embassy. Grrr!

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

Timeline
Candace,

It's quite irritating, isn't it? At least for me it was. I thought I read the website rather well and it never said anything about not accepting personal or Zur Verrechnung checks. When you click on visa payment options on the U.S. Embassy Frankfurt website, it's kind of vague anyway. Now I need to try to get my €161.00/$190.00 back from the U.S. Embassy. Grrr!

Yes, I have been growling to myself since I got the submission back yesterday. Luckily as we had our personal check sent back, we don't need to chase around for our money. Why on earth they don't have the credit card form as a downloadable form I do not know. Sigh. Anyway.

Sorry to hijack your thread Germlish! Looks like the three of us will be going through all this at around the same time. Good luck with completing your submission :)

NOA 3/31/17

Germlish,

I would recommend also visiting the following webpage if you have a good command of German. I don't and therefore cannot really understand fully what some people are taking about. Whatever the case, people there have filed DCF. The website is: http://www.auswanderer-forum.com/forums/.

One poster posted his timeline:

DCF Timeline:

02-14-2006 She said "Yes!!" on Valentins-day

03-18-2006 Wedding in Tucson AZ with Family

04-05-2006 Filed I-130, DS-230 and Checklist in Frankfurt

04-15-2006 Invitation for Interview in Mailbox

04-19-2006 Medical Examination in Dortmund

05-09-2006 Interview in Frankfurt

As you can see here, if you file in person in Frankfurt, depending on your case, the process itself may be quite speedy. If the poster above has a successful interview, the entire process would then take only about six to seven weeks from filing date to visa in hand.

(The key, I believe, is to have already collected all the documents on the checklist such as the police certificate and the Affidavit of Support.)

Had I known it would go so fast, I would've considered flying down to Frankfurt and filing in person since my husband and I need to leave by August. And there's nothing like having the visa sooner rather than later.

Ah well. If you have it all together, of which there is a lot, I do think your journey will be speedy!

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.