TonyS

Need some advice about a overstay.

16 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to get some information for a good friend. My friend's fiance arrive here legally about 7 years ago on a tourist visa. She overstayed and has built a life here. They met and feel in love and now they want to get married. I know a overstay is forgiven ( AOS ) if married to a US citizen and the foreigner entered the US legally. The problems is all the documents proving legal entry were destroyed in accident. Any advice on how legal entry can be proven?

11/28/06 Received NOA1 from VSC by snail mail

12/05/06 Touched

12/21/06 Received email notification of approval! NOA2

12/28/06 Received NOA2 from VSC by snail mail

12/27/06 NVC received I-129F

12/28/06 NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

01/02/07 Package arrive in Bogota

01/09/07 Faxed/mailed "shortcut"

01/11/07 Fiancee received Package 3 by mail

01/26/07 Interview date set for 2/26/07

01/30/07 Fiancee received Package 4

02/26/07 Interview is successful

02/27/07 Fiancee received Visa

03/15/07 Arrived in New York!

05/26/07 Married in Orlando!

AOS

06/28/07 Mailed AOS package

06/30/07 Received in Chicago

07/12/07 AOS application check cashed

07/14/07 Received NOA for AOS

07/16/07 Received snail mail notice of Biometric date of 08/02/07

08/02/07 Biometrics

09/07/07 Online notice that EAD card ordered

09/18/07 Received EAD card in the mail

08/03/08 Finally able to view case online

08/16/08 Received notice for second biometrics

09/10/08 Received notice for AOS interview on 09/16/08

09/16/08 AOS APROVED!!!!!

09/29/08 CG arrived in the mail.

07/15/10 Mailed package for lifting conditions.

07/23/10 Received NOA for lifting conditions

07/28/10 Received notice of biometric appointment for

August 11,2010.

Filed: Timeline
I'm hoping to get some information for a good friend. My friend's fiance arrive here legally about 7 years ago on a tourist visa. She overstayed and has built a life here. They met and feel in love and now they want to get married. I know a overstay is forgiven ( AOS ) if married to a US citizen and the foreigner entered the US legally. The problems is all the documents proving legal entry were destroyed in accident. Any advice on how legal entry can be proven?

She has to prove that her evidence was destroyed in an accident. One of the proves may be something like an accident report

She has to prove that her evidence was destroyed in an accident. One of the proves may be something like an accident report

if he has copy those or his passport that he use to travel to states, it can help in some instance. all his information will be with uscis either through the port of entry or through the embassy where he got his visa from,

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

if he has copy those or his passport that he use to travel to states, it can help in some instance. all his information will be with uscis either through the port of entry or through the embassy where he got his visa from,

Apply for a duplicate copy of the I-94 arrival recor.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

IF:

Your friend has been here that long, I know of another situation.

A friend of mine married a girl who was clearly here illegally, had been for years. They filed the I130, AOS, etc, and also she was fined (well, he was) around 1000-1500, but she was allowed to stay. They have (2) children (they've been married several years and she just got her green card 2 months ago). They met at her workplace (where she was working on a false SS# lol, but whatever)

A settled home life, a good provable marriage, and children together, as well as honesty went a long way in their case. Yes, lengthy overstays can be forgiven, but it's a very tough road. They were back and forth with immigration for about 1 1/2 years before their case was finally cleared, but at the end of the day, since they had been married over 2 years anyway, she got her 10-year card and they're doing very well.

I know it's done, but what is also done is that the illegal CAN be called to interview, detained on the spot, and sent home.

Whichever way it goes, good luck. It helps to have a good immigration lawyer. My friend got a fireball (laughing) some kind of F Lee Bailey type.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
IF:

Your friend has been here that long, I know of another situation.

A friend of mine married a girl who was clearly here illegally, had been for years. They filed the I130, AOS, etc, and also she was fined (well, he was) around 1000-1500, but she was allowed to stay. They have (2) children (they've been married several years and she just got her green card 2 months ago). They met at her workplace (where she was working on a false SS# lol, but whatever)

A settled home life, a good provable marriage, and children together, as well as honesty went a long way in their case. Yes, lengthy overstays can be forgiven, but it's a very tough road. They were back and forth with immigration for about 1 1/2 years before their case was finally cleared, but at the end of the day, since they had been married over 2 years anyway, she got her 10-year card and they're doing very well.

I know it's done, but what is also done is that the illegal CAN be called to interview, detained on the spot, and sent home.

Whichever way it goes, good luck. It helps to have a good immigration lawyer. My friend got a fireball (laughing) some kind of F Lee Bailey type.

As long as legal entry can be proven, overstay and illegal work is automatically forgiven from within the country through marriage to a USC. My husband had a 5 year overstay, 3 years of work (using his ITIN), and our AOS was approved 7 weeks from filing, with an interview. Green card arrived by 9 weeks after filing, and no questions were asked about it at the interview. Their long journey may have had to do with other factors, since overstay and illegal work (even using a false SS# if you made it up and didn't intentionally commit ID fraud) are all by law, AUTOMATICALLY forgiven. We did all this sans lawyer.

As for immediate deportation, doesn't happen. Even after a denial at an AOS interview, they have to go before an immigration judge for removal proceedings. It is not immediate.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
As for immediate deportation, doesn't happen.

Unless there is an outstanding order of deportation.

True, but the situation outlined above was made out to seem more like calling to an interview, denial, and putting the person on a plane. I could have misread it, but yeah if there's an outstanding order that would be immediate deportation.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Thanks to all for the information, I greatly appreciate the help. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about immigration due to the many hours researching in preparation for my own journey. My research indicated that a illegal overstay was forgiven when married to a USC and the entry was legal. So in that respect they are good. Like I mention the problem now is proving legal entry due to the lost of all documents. I thought it wold a simple matter of obtaining a duplicate I-94 or contacting the consulate that issued her visa. They consulted a immigration attorney who told them that records were destroyed after 4 years. I don't know if this is true or not. I told them to contact the USCIS for information but they are wary needless to say. My friend's finance remembers the entry date and POE but does not remember the airline.

11/28/06 Received NOA1 from VSC by snail mail

12/05/06 Touched

12/21/06 Received email notification of approval! NOA2

12/28/06 Received NOA2 from VSC by snail mail

12/27/06 NVC received I-129F

12/28/06 NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

01/02/07 Package arrive in Bogota

01/09/07 Faxed/mailed "shortcut"

01/11/07 Fiancee received Package 3 by mail

01/26/07 Interview date set for 2/26/07

01/30/07 Fiancee received Package 4

02/26/07 Interview is successful

02/27/07 Fiancee received Visa

03/15/07 Arrived in New York!

05/26/07 Married in Orlando!

AOS

06/28/07 Mailed AOS package

06/30/07 Received in Chicago

07/12/07 AOS application check cashed

07/14/07 Received NOA for AOS

07/16/07 Received snail mail notice of Biometric date of 08/02/07

08/02/07 Biometrics

09/07/07 Online notice that EAD card ordered

09/18/07 Received EAD card in the mail

08/03/08 Finally able to view case online

08/16/08 Received notice for second biometrics

09/10/08 Received notice for AOS interview on 09/16/08

09/16/08 AOS APROVED!!!!!

09/29/08 CG arrived in the mail.

07/15/10 Mailed package for lifting conditions.

07/23/10 Received NOA for lifting conditions

07/28/10 Received notice of biometric appointment for

August 11,2010.

Your friend apparently was able to adjust under 245i, the I-130 was likely filed before April, 2001. That is no longer available.

If someone enters without inspection and did not have the I-130 filed before that date, they are now required to leave the country for consular processing, become subject to the 3 or 10 year bar, file a waiver if they qualify, prove extreme hardship and hope that it is approved.

Support Family Unity- www.americanfamiliesunited.org. Become a member today!

HUH?

They just met and married about 3 1/2 years ago. The initial filing was done in 2005/2006

Your friend apparently was able to adjust under 245i, the I-130 was likely filed before April, 2001. That is no longer available.

If someone enters without inspection and did not have the I-130 filed before that date, they are now required to leave the country for consular processing, become subject to the 3 or 10 year bar, file a waiver if they qualify, prove extreme hardship and hope that it is approved.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Like I mention the problem now is proving legal entry due to the lost of all documents. I thought it wold a simple matter of obtaining a duplicate I-94 or contacting the consulate that issued her visa. They consulted a immigration attorney who told them that records were destroyed after 4 years. I don't know if this is true or not. I told them to contact the USCIS for information but they are wary needless to say. My friend's finance remembers the entry date and POE but does not remember the airline.

The Consulate knows nothing about the I-94. It is a Homeland Security document. You must apply to the USCIS for a duplicate using the proper form. The Consulate wuld be of no help.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.