shikarnov

OT - Putin is Time's Person of the Year

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Does anybody have any thoughts about Time's having made President Putin "Person of the Year 2007"?

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/per...1690766,00.html

In spite of all the saber rattling, I find it hard to begrudge the guy. I saw how pumped up people were during elections, and talked with people who were enthusiastically voting for the first time in their lives this December -- for "План Путина" (Putin's Plan). Seems people love the guy, and they support the reforms he's made, and genuinely want them to continue.

So what do you all think? Is he the new "Tzar" as Time claims? Is he worthy of the same dubious honor that Hitler was in 1939? Is this all just Western propaganda? A fluff piece? Something completely different? Better? Worse?

And, of course, how do you all think recent developments, and those yet to come in Russia will impact our lives and those of our significant others...

Z

Timeline

Hitler was once Time's man of the year also. Doesn't really say much. And all I've got to say about that is...Boooooooooooooo!!!

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Timeline

Agreed with Jason. I heard an interview with a Time editor, who basically said that the "Person of the Year" designation isn't an endorsement of who they are or what they do, but is only an acknowledgment that they did stuff that's impacted the world in a big way.

Yeltsin tried to run a "freedom before order" Russia, and it almost destroyed the country. Without having the proper infrastructure and reforms in place, the shift towards capitalism completely wrecked the economy. Putin took the opposite approach: "order before freedom." Towards that end he's managed to get back a lot of the control that Yeltsin gave up, which has allowed the economy to recover. He's managed to slow or stop Russia's backslide into oblivion (or at least delay it), but it's exacted a huge price. A lot of the old Soviet style controls are starting to come back into play again, corruption is even more rampant, and one only need look at Kasparov's failed run for the Presidency to see just how much control Putin and his party have over not just the government but the whole electoral process. Putin made sure Kasparov never had a chance, and it was obvious in a way that shows just how much he really doesn't give a shite what the West or anyone else thinks of him.

I still remember when Bush said, while standing next to Putin "I looked the man in the eye...I was able to get a sense of his soul; a man deeply committed to his country and the best interests of his country." I had to laugh. If anyone could really look into Putin's soul I think they'd be sobbing in a straight jacket in a little rubber room for the rest of their life. I don't think Russia's had a leader since Stalin that has been so dangerous and yet so loved by the people. It's bizarre.

Timeline

Well, I found the article enlightening. I generally don't think of Putin as either a Stalin or a Tzar. Actually, in many ways, I tend to think we could use somebody of his conviction and strength in the US. Without question, Putin has a mission -- some of it's personal, I'm sure -- but he's unquestionably done a lot for Russia in the past eight years. I do worry about the increasing tensions that's coincided with Russia's resurgence, but I don't think that [tension] has been a result of President Putin's decisions, so much as President Bush's.

I also agree with Mox and Jason that freedom before order was a mistake -- but I also am not entirely convinced that Russia wants (or needs) a Western style "democracy" or financial system... In many ways, politics in the US is at least as paralyzed by overzealous notions of political correctness and morality as Russia's is by corruption.

Among my favorite parts of this article, however, were the personal touches -- like President Putin never having used email. That made me smile, and think about some of my older relatives and friends. And I loved the joke about Bush and the mosquitoes. The article wasn't nearly as negative as I expected when I began reading, and it does a good job of presenting the facts of Putin's presidency - positive and negative. And for whatever it's worth, I thought Putin's "bye bye" signoff was priceless :)

Z

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Found this to be a very interesting article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1101833_pf.html

Please fill in your TIMELINE!!!

I-751

10/19/2006 I-751 send to Vermont

11/07/2006 NOA (Kids)

12/01/2006 BIO Appointment (Kids)

04/02/2007 NOA (Wife dated 11/7)

04/11/2007 BIO (Wife 2nd )

06/07/2007 received all 3 approval emails

06/11/2007 Green cards in Mailbox

N-400

09/17/2007 N-400 sent to Vermont

09/20/2007 signed for

11/21/2007 Check Cashed

12/11/2007 Noaa mailed

12/14/2007 Noaa arrives in mailbox

12/15/2007 Biometrics letter in mailbox

12/29/2007 Biometrics Appointment

04/03/2008 Interview letter arrives

05/22/2008 Interview passed, But waiting on two A-Files to be integrated into one.

07/28/2008 Infopass Appointment

09/19/2008 Citizenship Ceremony

It seems to me that most Russians are comfortable with a sense of order the way most Americans are comfortable with being able to live in a big house, drive a big SUV, and shop at Wal-Mart.

We'll both complain all day about the system and what's wrong with the government but when it comes right down to it, we take solace in the fact that it is the way it is and it's going to continue that way.

Putin seems to be "leading" Russia the way most Russians are comfortable having their leader lead them. They still want to be viewed as a strong state that has power and global influence. They also want things back home to be a certain way and as said above, without the strong(er) central government it's just not possible.

Personally, I think Putin is about as good a President as Bush with the exceptions being Putin is a long-term strategist and is actually helping his country with a classic Russian style of "yeah we're doing it like that, so what?" as opposed to Bush's "we're doing that to benefit you... not us. It's to make the world a better place, not to line my buddies pockets."

Putin is a strong leader if nothing else. He's going to be a good PM and will probably be an even better President next time around.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.