huggyapple

Social Security Time Frame

8 posts in this topic

Anyone ever have any problems with obtaining their Social Security Number? We would like to be married right away once my Fiance arrives, but looks like you need a SS number to file for a marragie license. Very difficult to plan a wedding when you can't get a straight answer from SS on how long it takes. They told me it could take up to 2 weeks to 6 months when we only have 90 days to get married. It's ridiculas how you can never get a straight answer from a government agency. How long should I expect this to take?

Thanks,

Mark

Filed: Timeline

Try giving them a call to see what the documentation requirements are for a non-US resident. In Florida we only needed to provide my passport.

As for the SSN, wait a couple of weeks to get her name in the system (SAVE) before applying. It should only take 1-4 weeks after that to receive it.

Alternatively, you could travel to FLA or Vegas (or wherever they will marry non-residents) and get married there.

Good luck. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

While the State of NJ listed a SS# as a requirement for a marriage license, in truth this was not the case. CHeck with the registrar issuing the marriage license to see what the requirements actually are.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

While the State of NJ listed a SS# as a requirement for a marriage license, in truth this was not the case. CHeck with the registrar issuing the marriage license to see what the requirements actually are.

Anyone ever have any problems with obtaining their Social Security Number?

A few. LOL

We would like to be married right away once my Fiance arrives, but looks like you need a SS number to file for a marragie license. Very difficult to plan a wedding when you can't get a straight answer from SS on how long it takes. They told me it could take up to 2 weeks to 6 months when we only have 90 days to get married. It's ridiculas how you can never get a straight answer from a government agency. How long should I expect this to take?

It all depends on how long it takes SSA to verify immigration status. If you are lucky, they can do it while you are in the office. If not it could take weeks and sometimes months.

You just need to stay on top of things in they need to send a secondary electronic SAVE request or if DHS requests to see copies of the immigration documents and they have to mail them with a Form G-845.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Recommend getting the Social Security card before you get married. We were denied the SS card after getting married when they told us the K1 visa was no longer valid due to our marriage.

Recommend getting the Social Security card before you get married. We were denied the SS card after getting married when they told us the K1 visa was no longer valid due to our marriage.

Applying before getting married will cause less hassles, but as long as the K-1 hasn't been here 76 days, getting married shouldn't matter and I would ask to see the office manager to make them accept the application and have immigration make the decision.

RM 00203.210 C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name:

When an alien applies for an SSN card, we presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change, e.g., marriage, which occurred after the immigration document was issued.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

RM 00203.735 Applicant Has Changed His/Her Name but Initial Verification Results Show Old Name

In some cases, the applicant may have changed his/her name after DHS issued the immigration document (e.g., he/she has married and is now using the spouse's last name) but does not present an immigration document showing the new name. In these cases, the DHS system reflects the new name only when the person provided the name change information to DHS and requested to have his/her immigration record changed to show the new name. When the initial verification results shows the old name that is shown on the immigration document presented and not the new name on the name change document presented, do not consider this a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.