jilanik

Couple of questions on N400

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I just to clarify a few things before I send int my N400 application.

1. I saw someone post about a checklist to sent along with the N400 application, such as marriage license, car title, bank statements etc? Are they even required? I didn't see any thing about it @ the USCIS.gov website.

2. I was out of the country for a total of 125 days in the past 5 years. Since becoming LPR I have been out of the the country for 3 days + 58 days + 3 days (3 trips) = 64 days. So, do I subtract those 64 days from my 3rd year anniversary of my LPR before filing or am I good on that account?

3. My 3rd year anniversary to being a LPR is 01/27/08. Can I go ahead and mail my application in now? or wait till 01/27/08 to mail it in?

I know my question may sound familiar, but I did search the forum and wasn't sure. Thanks in advance.

September 24th, 2008: Passport arrived :)

September 19th, 2008: US passport approved

September 12th, 2008: Oath Ceremony

August 29th, 2008: Oath appointment

August 20th, 2008: Interview appointment

June 21, 2008: NOA for Interview

February 7th, 2008: Biometrics

January 27th, 2008: NOA for Biometrics appointment

January 14th, 2008: Priority Date according to NOA1

January 18th, 2008: Check cashed

January 14th, 2008: Application received by the California Processing Center

January 6th, 2008: Resubmitted application

December 28th, 2007: 4th Wedding Anniversary

December 26th, 2007: Application received by the California Processing Center

December 18th, 2007: Mailed N-400

1. I saw someone post about a checklist to sent along with the N400 application, such as marriage license, car title, bank statements etc? Are they even required? I didn't see any thing about it @ the USCIS.gov website.

All Applicants for Naturalization must send the following items with their N-400 application:

A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card or "Green Card"). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt for your Form I-90, "Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card"; and

Two identical color photographs, with your name and "A-number" written lightly in pencil on the back of each photo. For details about the photo requirements, see Part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization and the Form M-603 instructions. Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo. If your religion requires you to wear a head covering, your facial features must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification; and

A check or money order for the application fee and the biometric services fee (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from the biometrics services fee). Write your "A-number" on the back of the check or money order. The application fee is $595 and the biometrics services fee is $80. You may combine the fees into one check or money order. Make your check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."

If you are applying for naturalization based on your marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following four items:

Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years:

Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or

Naturalization Certificate, or

Certificate of Citizenship, or

The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport, or

Form FS-240, "Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America," and

Your current marriage certificate, and

Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse - divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and

Documents referring to you and your spouse:

Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or

An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

If you were married before, send:

Proof that all earlier marriages ended - divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s);

I know my question may sound familiar, but I did search the forum and wasn't sure. Thanks in advance.

CHECKLIST LINK FOR N-400

Edited by RICHIE07

11/03/2007 - Mailed N-400

11/05/2007 - Delivered to NSC

11/09/2007 - Checked Cashed

11/10/2007 - Return Signature Receipt Received

11/05/2007 - Priority Date

12/03/2007 - NOA1 Receipt Notice Received

12/13/2007 - NOA2 Fingerprints Received

01/02/2008 - Fingerprinting Done

02/11/2008 - NOA3 Interview Notice Received - April 10th, 2008

04/10/2008 - Interview Done - APPROVED

08/15/2008 - Oath Letter Received

09/10/2008 - US Citizen

09/24/2008 - Applied for US Passport

10/06/2008 - US Passport Received

10/09/2008 - Passport Card and Naturalization Certificate Received

Timeline

All Applicants for Naturalization must send the following items with their N-400 application:

A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card or "Green Card"). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt for your Form I-90, "Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card"; and

Two identical color photographs, with your name and "A-number" written lightly in pencil on the back of each photo. For details about the photo requirements, see Part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization and the Form M-603 instructions. Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo. If your religion requires you to wear a head covering, your facial features must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification; and

A check or money order for the application fee and the biometric services fee (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from the biometrics services fee). Write your "A-number" on the back of the check or money order. The application fee is $595 and the biometrics services fee is $80. You may combine the fees into one check or money order. Make your check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."

If you are applying for naturalization based on your marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following four items:

Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years:

Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or

Naturalization Certificate, or

Certificate of Citizenship, or

The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport, or

Form FS-240, "Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America," and

Your current marriage certificate, and

Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse - divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and

Documents referring to you and your spouse:

Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or

An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

If you were married before, send:

Proof that all earlier marriages ended - divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s);

CHECKLIST LINK FOR N-400

Thanks for the prompt reply, what about #2 and #3 in my post?

Filed: Timeline

2. I was out of the country for a total of 125 days in the past 5 years. Since becoming LPR I have been out of the the country for 3 days + 58 days + 3 days (3 trips) = 64 days. So, do I subtract those 64 days from my 3rd year anniversary of my LPR before filing or am I good on that account?

3. My 3rd year anniversary to being a LPR is 01/27/08. Can I go ahead and mail my application in now? or wait till 01/27/08 to mail it in?

2. I think you are okay to go. Please read the detail N-400 instruction which is downloadable from USCIS.gov website.

3. You can file it now if you like. As long as you are filling 90 days before 3 year anniversary, your application will be accepted.

Timeline

2. I think you are okay to go. Please read the detail N-400 instruction which is downloadable from USCIS.gov website.

3. You can file it now if you like. As long as you are filling 90 days before 3 year anniversary, your application will be accepted.

Thanks for the reply, but I was hoping to get a more concrete answer.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
IRS tax return transcript

is that 1040 Form? i have to send?

You can call the IRS and request transcripts for at least the past 3 years. That's the document I recommend to get. Seems more official when it's on IRS letterhead.

AOS Timeline. USA - Taiwan. Through Atlanta, GA

May 29, 2001 - Joyce & Tim Married in McDonough, GA

Jun 26, 2001 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 to Atlanta

Jul 12, 2001 - Atlanta issued receipt

Sep 06, 2001 - EAD and AP approved

--- A long quiet period ---

Oct 24, 2003 - Fingerprinting

Feb 10, 2004 - Second fingerprinting

Mar 31, 2004 - Applied for AP

Apr 13, 2004 - AP Approved

Apr 30, 2004 - AOS Interview Notice Received

May 27, 2004 - Interview in Atlanta

May 27, 2004 - Permanent Resident Stamp in passport

Jun 17, 2004 - Received Welcome To USA Letter

Jun 19, 2004 - Received Green Card!

Jun 21, 2007 - Sent N-400 application

Jul 02, 2007 - USCIS cashes our check

Jul 31, 2007 - NOA received (mailed on Jul 27)

Jul 31, 2007 - Appt letter for biometrics received (mailed on Jul 27)

Aug 09, 2007 - Biometrics appointment

Oct 09, 2007 - Received Appt Letter for Dec 20th Interview

Dec 20, 2007 - Successful interview and oath taken in Atlanta!

IRS tax return transcript

is that 1040 Form? i have to send?

You can call the IRS and request transcripts for at least the past 3 years. That's the document I recommend to get. Seems more official when it's on IRS letterhead.

Mine I only made a copy of our tax returns form that we had when we filed our taxes for the past 3 years. i haven't call the IRS for the transcripts because I think the one we got will works just fine. but its depend what you want to do.

11/03/2007 - Mailed N-400

11/05/2007 - Delivered to NSC

11/09/2007 - Checked Cashed

11/10/2007 - Return Signature Receipt Received

11/05/2007 - Priority Date

12/03/2007 - NOA1 Receipt Notice Received

12/13/2007 - NOA2 Fingerprints Received

01/02/2008 - Fingerprinting Done

02/11/2008 - NOA3 Interview Notice Received - April 10th, 2008

04/10/2008 - Interview Done - APPROVED

08/15/2008 - Oath Letter Received

09/10/2008 - US Citizen

09/24/2008 - Applied for US Passport

10/06/2008 - US Passport Received

10/09/2008 - Passport Card and Naturalization Certificate Received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes you could have applied in Nov for your N-400, so anytime now is fine. Your number of days out of the country is fine. You are allowed to be out a certain amount of time (forget the exact number). You do not deduct it from your LPR date at all. If say you had been out of the country for 8 months, then they may have deemed you broke your continous residency status and then you would have to reset your entire clock (not just subtract or add the days from your LRP date) and then apply 4 years or 3 years down the road (not sure the exact time, there's something called 4 years minus a day or plus a day or something, not sure how long you have to wait for marriage based if continous residency was broken).

You haven't done that with what you posted about your trips so you are fine. And as mentioned since yours is marriage based, you will need to prove to the officer you are legit in your marriage and you are still married, so show all the proof you can to prove to them that you are still married. If you were on a work Green Card then you wouldn't have to worry about the spouse part. But since this is what your PR status is based on, you need to convince them you didn't just marry for the GC...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.