awu25

File before divorce finalize?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
pushbrk,

Thanks for the heads up. We will be filing the letter asking that the petition be withdrawn.

Yes, divorce is not the same as annulment. But I think you are confused since Philippine law treats "divorce" differently. The 2 forms I mentioned provides for declaring a marriage 1.) Void Ab Initio (w/c is similar to an annulment in U.S. law) or 2.) it being annulled (w/c US law provides as divorce). Both being different from one another with the only common denominator being that the parties to the marriage that is declared void or annulled are now free to marry. (But this belongs to a different thread altogether) :)

Yes, it is a discussion for elsewhere. 2.) produces a similar result to "divorce" but not the "same" result. Further the process is quite dissimilar, and PI divorces of PI citizens originally married in the PI, are not recognized by the PI government.

I'm focused on the differences because, IMO, they have far more impact on PI citizens immigrating to the US as fiance or spouse than do the similarities.

pushbrk,

We 100% agree. The only instance that Philippine Law allows for, hmmm, how would we put it, absolute "divorce" is when a Filipino citizen is divorced by an alien (foreigner) spouse outside of the Philippines. Just let us know if you plan to start a new thread regarding this issue and we would like to share our input and participate in the discussion.

Again, thank you for the advice regarding the withdrawal of the I-129F. We just want things done properly without it seeming like we were hiding anything due to failure to disclose which might be interpreted as misrepresentation by USCIS. Like they say, "If you want things done right, do it yourself".

Edited by Claudette-Arnel

K-1 VISA

02/01/2008 Re-filed and sent I-129F to CSC via FedEx (this time assembling the petition on our own with help from our VJ Family)

02/04/2008 Received by USCIS CSC (signed for by N. La Barrie)

02/06/2008 Touched - USCIS notifies us of Withdrawal for 1st I-129F

02/27/2008 Received NOA1 / Check Encashed

06/09/2008 Received RFE Notice via Email/USCIS Website

06/11/2008 Received RFE Notice & Instructions via Mail

06/12/2008 Sent Reply to RFE via US Postal Service with Return Card

06/19/2008 Received Return Card Receipt from US Postal Service for Reply to RFE

06/25/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 NOA2

07/10/2008 NVC sends Case to US Embassy, Manila

07/17/2008 Date of Confirmation Letter from USEM

07/24/2008 Receipt of Confirmation Letter via Air 21

07/29/2008 Called USEM to set Interview Date. Interview on Sept 2, 2008

07/29/2008 Paid DV Fee

08/01/2008 DV received by NSO

08/19-20/2008 Medical - PASSED

09/02/2008 Interview PASSED

09/29/2008 Visa Received

10/02/2008 Flight to LAX

10/15/2008 Wedding

AOS

12/18/2008 Filed I-485 & I-765

12/26/2008 Received by USCIS Lockbox Facility

12/31/2008 NOA1

01/13/2009 Request for Initial Evidence

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
pushbrk,

Thanks for the heads up. We will be filing the letter asking that the petition be withdrawn.

Yes, divorce is not the same as annulment. But I think you are confused since Philippine law treats "divorce" differently. The 2 forms I mentioned provides for declaring a marriage 1.) Void Ab Initio (w/c is similar to an annulment in U.S. law) or 2.) it being annulled (w/c US law provides as divorce). Both being different from one another with the only common denominator being that the parties to the marriage that is declared void or annulled are now free to marry. (But this belongs to a different thread altogether) :)

Yes, it is a discussion for elsewhere. 2.) produces a similar result to "divorce" but not the "same" result. Further the process is quite dissimilar, and PI divorces of PI citizens originally married in the PI, are not recognized by the PI government.

I'm focused on the differences because, IMO, they have far more impact on PI citizens immigrating to the US as fiance or spouse than do the similarities.

pushbrk,

We 100% agree. The only instance that Philippine Law allows for, hmmm, how would we put it, absolute "divorce" is when a Filipino citizen is divorced by an alien (foreigner) spouse outside of the Philippines. Just let us know if you plan to start a new thread regarding this issue and we would like to share our input and participate in the discussion.

Again, thank you for the advice regarding the withdrawal of the I-129F. We just want things done properly without it seeming like we were hiding anything due to failure to disclose which might be interpreted as misrepresentation by USCIS. Like they say, "If you want things done right, do it yourself".

Withdrawal is definitely in your best interest. If you want to carry on a more detailed discussion of the other topic, I suggest starting it in the appropriate regional forum. I've disclosed all my understanding already but wouldn't mind learning more.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
pushbrk,

Guys,

One last question, should the letter of withdrawal, for the I-129F petition, be notarized?

K-1 VISA

02/01/2008 Re-filed and sent I-129F to CSC via FedEx (this time assembling the petition on our own with help from our VJ Family)

06/25/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 NOA2

07/29/2008 Paid DV Fee

09/29/2008 Visa Received

10/02/2008 Flight to LAX

10/15/2008 Wedding

AOS

12/31/2008 NOA1

Filed: Timeline

A letter to withdraw a petition does not have to be notorized.

pushbrk,

Guys,

One last question, should the letter of withdrawal, for the I-129F petition, be notarized?

Timeline
A letter to withdraw a petition does not have to be notorized.

pushbrk,

Guys,

D&N,

Thanks for the info. Here's wishing you the best of luck. :)

K-1 VISA

06/25/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 NOA2

07/29/2008 Paid DV Fee

09/29/2008 Visa Received

10/02/2008 Flight to LAX

10/15/2008 Wedding

AOS

12/31/2008 NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.