||Phone: (022) 2672-4000; 91-120-4844644; 91-40-46258222
Fax: (022) 2363-0350
Phone lines are open from 10am to 12 noon & 2pm to 4 pm. The phone lines are busy.There is specific timmings to call for each kind of visa.
Effective February 01, 2012: Immigrant visa inquiries will be handled by VFS
VFS Phone: 0120-6611411
||C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex
Bandra East, Mumbai - 400051
||Interviews start around 7.30 am in morning.
Embassy works from 8 am to 4 pm.
Best Contact Method:
||8am - 11am (Lines start at approx 6am so come early. The counter closes promptly at 11am no matter what...any people standing in line are turned away; This is the best place to pick up paperwork even though the wait is awful. Also best place to plead your case since it's so hard to get through on the phone and the email/fax rarely get any results.
Email, see advice above.
Added 03/24/06 by zdnh:
My experience regarding emails from Mumbai has been excellent. They always reply within 24-48 hours.
For subject include: your case #, your name, and your DOB
MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE:
NVC Case No
NOA Receipt Number
Petitioner�s Date of Birth
Petitioner�s Passport #
Beneficiary�s Date of Birth
Beneficiary�s Passport #
Effective Wednesday, February 01, 2012, all immigrant visa inquiries will be handled by VFS. Please direct emails to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0120 6611411 for questions and inquiries.
Approx Waiting Time for Interview After Consulate Recieves
||FOR IR/CR - 2 to 3 Months
FOR K-1 - 1 to 2 Months
Issues Packet 3?
Packet 3 Contains:
||There is NO Packet 3 for this consulate for k1 visa, you have to contact them via above given email or phone to get the instructions. They will mail a letter or email the beneficiary the instructions as to what be done next.
Issues Packet 4?
Packet 4 Contents (if known):
||Instead a letter instructing as to what has to be done next is mailed or emailed to the beneficiary, it will also have the copies of I-129F petition in it.
This instruction list will ask you to fetch Packet 4 checklist from online. Following is the (up-to-date) link to it :
**K3 - They are asking for both support forms for us I 134 and I 864
In packet 4 for IR-1/CR-1 visa they will send you:
This is sent by VFS now, through an email. It will contain a PDF document giving the date and address of the interview. Do not wait for a postal mail, go ahead with preperation.
Appointment letter that will include:
Interview preparation instructions
List of documents to be submitted at the time of interview
* Any original documents that were requested by the NVC but were not submitted
to the NVC must be brought to the visa interview.
* The applicant must bring his/her medical examination results to the visa interview
in an envelope sealed by the medical office.
* The applicant must bring the correct size and number of photographs to the visa
interview. They must measure 2 inches by 2 inches (5 cm by 5 cm) on a white
* IF a sponsor filed an I-864 (Affidavit of Support) AND provided the NVC with
proof of an IRS Federal Income Tax Extension in lieu of a Federal Income Tax
Return, the applicant must bring the sponsor's most recent Federal Income Tax
Return to the visa interview.
* Failure to present all necessary documents to the Consular Officer will result in
the applicant's immigrant visa being refused at the initial interview.
Forms to Consulate?
||For K1 Visa :
Only DS-160 form has to be filled out.
Please note that : -
NOTHING has to be submitted before interview, but only on the date of interview bring all the documents stated on the instruction list (mailed/e-mailed to the beneficiary).
What to submit with IR-1/CR-1 Packet 3:
Nothing to be sent to the consulate, NVC sends in all the documents required. You will just need to carry these on the day of interview.
If you have submitted these documents to NVC already, it is not required to carry them. For example, most send in their Marriage and Birth Certificates to NVC, in such scenarios, just carry the copies.
Be sure to register at the VFS website and get the U ID:
1. Document Cover Sheet with Barcode (This is provided to you when IV fee $230.00 is paid online)
2. DS-230 Part I and Part II (Only sign Part I)
3. Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page
4. Original or certified copy of Birth Certificate
5. Original or certified copy of Marriage Certificate
6. Police Certificate (s)
7. Marriage Termination Documentation/Divorce Decree, if Petitioner and/or Applicant were married and divorced before this engagement
8. Court and Prison records (If any)
9. Military records (If any)
10. Deportation Documentation (If any)
11. Custody Documentation (If any)
ONE PHOTOCOPY OF EACH OF THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS NEED TO BE INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE
It is also recommended to add one page cover letter when submitting these documents, stating your contact information, case number, and that you are applying for CR-1/IR-1.
For detailed information related to the above list of documents, you may go to:
Other Forms (if any)?
||Obtain the following documents on this checklist with pertain to you. DO NOT send them to this office. The documents are reqd at the time of interview.
A booth inside the consulate in the waiting area offers Photographs to be taken and they charge 100 Rs for 2. Photocopies of douments can be taken at 3 Rs per copy.
Following are also mentioned in the instruction list from the US Embassy : -
1. Passports (carry if you have any old expired ones too, if available)
2. Birth Certificates
3. Unobtainable Birth Certificate / notarized affidavit from parents
4. Photographs (two color photos, if you forget these, there is a booth available in the waiting area. You can get them taken for 100 Rs each)
5. Marriage Certificates (certified copy) of Petitioner and/or Applicant if one or both were married earlier
6. Divorce decree (notarized), if Petitioner and/or Applicant were married and divorced before this engagement
7. Evidence of relationship (letters, emails, photos, engagement evidentce)
8. Police Records (different from PCC, do not confuse it with PCC. This is required if you are a foreigner and are currently residing in India. It is required for only such people from local district Police stations.)
9. Court and Prison records
10. Military records
11. Evidence of support -- Form I-134 and most recent year's tax returns
12. Translations in English required.
13. Medical Examination (DO NOT bring your X-Rays)
14. Police clearance certification (PCC for Indians residing in India needs to be obtained from the Passport Seva Kendra. If you have lived abroad at given time for more than a year at a stretch, you will PCC from that country too.)
In order to get an interview date, the applicant must give a certification that all of the above items that pertain to him / her have been gathered and are in possession to request an interview. (See 'What forms should be sent back to the Consulate?')" ********* THIS IS NO LONGER VALID. Once you get the email from NVC with the PDF stating interview date, you are good to go.
Direct Consular Filing Offered?
If DCF Allowed: For all or only US citizen lawfully resident in country?
Can fiance(e)/spouse attend interview?
Visa fee payment "same day" or "in advance"?
Did embassy schedule interview or could you walk-in?
Visa issued same day?
If not what's the waiting period?
||2-3 days after visa approval.
K1- 5-7 days
Is the Medical exam same day as interview?
||Prior to Interview
Cost of Medical Exam?
||Apparently, it costs 20,000 rupees now. But incase you have already taken all the vaccines it might cost way lesser.
PLEASE CALL THE CLINIC TO SETUP AN APPOINTMENT.
10AA, Gita Building, A Wing, 2nd floor,
Pandita Ramabai Road, Gamdevi,
Mumbai – 400007
Tel: 022-23613737 / 23613838
P.S. : YOU HAVE TO BRING 8 2X2 INCH PHOTOGRAPHS (WITH WHITE BACKGROUND), 1 PASSPORT'S (FRONT AND BACK) COPY, US PETITIONER'S ADDRESS AND INTERVIEW LETTER FROM THE EMBASSY, PREVIOUS VACCINATION RECORDS (IF ANY)
WITH DEMANDED MEDICAL FEES.
List of doctors?
||List of Mumbai-area panel physicians and their fees you may go to :
How many Passport Photo's Required for the medical?
How many Passport Photo's Required at the interview?
Estimated waiting time at the consulate on the day of interview?
||1 - 3 hours hours
K1 - 4 hours
||Refer to the following link to get an idea :
You can choose to get vaccinations before the medical, they do accept the previous medical records.
Cheap and good hotels near the Consulate?
||Not cheap, but very good and very close (2 to 3 min walk):
The following are great hotels but not cheap
1. Hotel Sofitel Mumbai BKC, C 57 Block G, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East
Mumbai, Maharashtra 400051,India
Tel: +91 22 6117 5000
2. Trident Hotel BKC, C-56, G Block, Bandra Kurla Complex
Mumbai, Maharashtra 400051,India
Tel: +91 22 6672 7777
(Best!!! Consulate is in the same block as hotel. Bit expensive, but worth the stay.)
||Main landmarks around consulate are BKC
Tourist Attractions include: Juhu Beach (8 km), Gateway of India (19.8 km), Chowpatty Beach (17.9 km), Elephanta Island (about 2hrs by boat), Haji Ali (14.5 km), Siddhi Vinayaka Temple (8.9 km), Hanging Gardens (17.1 km).