Jump to content

Sonata Arctica

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Sonata Arctica

  • Rank
  • Member # 180694

Profile Information

  • City
  • State

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    IR-1/CR-1 Visa
  • Place benefits filed at
    Nebraska Service Center
  • Country

Recent Profile Visitors

494 profile views
  1. Sonata Arctica

    Fastest way to get Canadian police clearance certificate?

    I moved to Canada as a PR in 2002. Prior to that, I lived in Pakistan for 30 years. I was told that I dont need a police clearance certificate from Pakistan for the purposes of US immigration, as when I came to Canada, my Canadian PR (I am a Canadian citizen now) required a police clearance from Pakistan. And I have NEVER gone back to Pakistan since coming to Canada. Do I still need it then? And if so, how do I get it, since I neither have a Pakistani National ID card (mine expired decades ago) or a valid Pakistani passport. Thanks.
  2. I know that there is a lot of information about I-864 available on the internet, but most of it is general and might not pertain, or be relevant, to our situation. For this reason, I am making this thread to get some help from anyone who can, based on our specific situation, which is as follows: My wife and I live in Canada, She is a US citizen who moved to Canada 4 years ago and is now a PR here, soon to be a citizen. When we move back to the US, she will obviously resign from her job here and therefore, will not have any income to show to prove that she can support us when we move there. We understand that we will need a joint sponsor, which in this case is her dad. We are both moving to live on their property, which they are renting to us. My questions are the following: 1. Which I-864 forms do we need to fill out for my wife and her dad? Is it I-864 or I-864A or I-864 EZ? 2. The instructions are not very clear, as they contradict each other, about what supporting financial documents to submit. At one spot they say to submit IRS transcripts, and at another they say to submit 3 year tax returns. Which is it? And for how many years? 3. My father-in-law has enough income that is way above the 125% of the poverty line. What documents (financial and otherwise) does he need to submit? 4. My mother-in-law also works....does she need to fill out an I-864 as well or will my father-in-law suffice? Does she need to submit anything at all? 5. Does my father-in-law need to add his wife's income or information on to his I-864? 6. My wife has filed taxes in the US for all the years that she has been in Canada. Does she need to submit 3 years of IRS transcripts or 3 years of tax returns? For tax returns they also need W-2 and Form 1099, which she will obviously not have (since she doesn't work in the US). So what does she need to submit? My in-laws are coming to see us here in Calgary this year. I want to get answers to these so they can bring whatever documents they need to submit, with them. Thank you all.
  3. Since we already submitted the I-130 a few months ago, what will happen now? Will the application be rejected due to that? Or will it only be a case of me sending them in? Will this delay the process significantly?
  4. I am certain that you are reading it wrong. The beneficiary neither needs to sign the I-130A, nor does she/he need to send the passport sized photographs if she/he is not ion the USA. It clearly states that. The instructions are generalized for ALL I-130 situations, so they wrote what you mentioned in the end to cover all the bases. At least that is what I have gathered from it. And I am fairly certain now that people who have received RFEs for this reason have been sent those in error and when people see that, they assume that the beneficiary photographs have to be sent in every case. My two cents. If someone has a better explanation of can confirm or refute my understanding, please do so. Thanks.
  5. Where does it say that? The instructions clearly state that the spouse's photos are to be sent if he/she is in the US. Care to explain? Thanks.
  6. Quick question if someone can help: Our case is in Nebraska, and there is some time until they get to it. I am hoping for no RFEs, but reading through the forum, it seems a lot of people sent passport photos for both the petitioner and the beneficiary. The I-130 instructions say that the passport sized pictures should be sent for the petitioner and the beneficiary IF he/she is in the US. I am the beneficiary living in Canada with my petitioner USC wife, and we only sent her passport sized photos, as the instructions clearly state that I dont need to send in my photos if I am not in the US. Did we read that correctly? Thanks.
  7. Sonata Arctica

    Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

    Oh I am fully aware of what you have shared. There are positions I agree, for example, govt. jobs and the Academia (where they cannot, and would rather not, exercise expediency over careful selection), where the hiring process itself could be weeks or months long. And yes, one could be hired months in advance. However, as you have also stated, many other sectors (I would say most) would not hire someone at a distance, especially without a face-to-face interview while also ensuring that the person would be available to start as soon as possible. The point I am trying to make is that with such a wide variance between the two extremes, I have gotten the sense that people are saying that Montreal seems to want a job contract in most cases, which seems a bit excessive. I am not saying that it is a fact, but that reading through all 43 pages of the thread, having a job already seems to be overwhelmingly "THE" thing that people have said tips the balance one way or the other for someone trying to re-establish domicile in the US. I just hope that I am wrong, and in this case, I would LOVE to be wrong :). My wife can easily get a job with her previous employer, IF they are hiring, but for that, it would mean that she has to travel there, go through the hiring process, a multitude of interviews, etc.. She cannot travel back & forth for this. And if she has to go there anyway, she might as well just stay there. BTW, once the NOA2 is issued, how much time is there between it and the interview itself? And what steps other than sending the docs to NVC do you have to take? Can you have your medical done right away or have to wait for it to be done within a certain number of days before the interview? I am asking because I will have to go to Surrey, BC from Calgary for the medicals and then go to Montreal from Calgary for the interview. We cannot afford to stay in Montreal for the medicals and the interview - could be quite a few days, from what I have read. I do intend to bring my CV with me, along with my degrees, just in case they ask for it.
  8. Sonata Arctica

    Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

    What we have, or can get, is the following: - A joint bank account in the US with money regularly transferred into it - already have it - A lease from her parents for renting the second house on their property - no issues - Letters of resignation for both of us, when the time comes - no issues - Employer letters confirming that we have resigned (will have to convince them to give one) - End of lease letter (of our current rental place in Calgary) - no issues - U-Haul estimate for moving items (when the time comes) - no issues The following is only possible IF and WHEN she moves there: - WI Driver's License She is in the hotel housekeeping industry and it is unlikely she will find a job in a hotel in a small rural town where we are going to live. Sitting here in Canada, she could apply for jobs till cows come home, but if she cannot get one because she is in Canada, is it moot? From what I have read, Wisconsin does not have a Voter Registration Card. You can register online and that is about it. There is no paper document showing that. Besides, in Wisconsin, people can vote based on their driver's licenses too, as far as I know. We are both highly educated with grad/post grad degrees, but neither of us want to pursue our areas of study, nor have we worked in those fields ever. She has an honors degree in Fine Arts, and I have a BS in Physics, BS in Math, and an MBA. Neither of us need to go back to school. While for some it is the ratio of skill set to supply, for most others, it is not about that, but more about logistics and getting jobs without leaving Canada, which seems to be quite a challenge. I see people so casually mentioning a job letter on this forum (no disrespect intended). As an employer, at least from professional standards, I would NOT hire someone without first making that person go through a hiring process, which includes a face-to-face interview, and won't let the prospective employee dictate when she/he can start work. If the timeline of an interview is such that one cannot move around a month after the interview, how in the world can she expect to have a job letter stating that she is hired AND that she is allowed to start a month (or even more than that) later? That is what I do not understand.
  9. Sonata Arctica

    Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

    After reading this whole thread, the most perplexing thing is how do pwople get job offer letters or for that matter a job in the US without actually going there? My wife is an American citizen and we've lived in Canada since she moved here 4 years ago. She is going back with me, buf it seems that for all practical purposes, she needs to not only apply but also get hired for a future date that is not even certain (you cant know when exactly you will be there in the US). What employer would hire someone over the phone, and will be willing to give a job contract for a job that she will start in a month or so? We are moving to a small town in Wisconsin. I dont get it. Could someone please explain? Thank you.
  10. Sonata Arctica


    Probably best to keep it here since over there they wont have any context of whats needed. Thank you for the offer though Hope others can also chime in with words of wisdom.
  11. Sonata Arctica


    thank you. But its likely that forum will be of people who are in Pakistan and not in Canada. I could be wrong though.
  12. Sonata Arctica


    What I have is a photocopy of what they gave me 17 years ago. It is that photocopy that is notarized by a notary public. If there is a seal on it, its photocopied. The only thing on top of it is the notary stamp and signature.
  13. Sonata Arctica


    Im not familiar with the meaning of an exception in this situation. Please explain. I just received our NOA1. Is it prudent to write to Montreal now and ask this question? How do i reach them?
  14. Sonata Arctica


    I am a Canadian citizen through naturalization, and was born in Pakistan in 1971. I was born in days when they didnt have a birth certificate, so I never had one. All I had when I immigrated to Canada was a certified true copy of a birth certificate that was made by the municipality of the city I lived in (in Pakistan). I do not have the original and cannot get it. However, I still have that certified true copy with me. My wife, who is an American citizen, has sponsored me for IR-1 and we have received our NOA1 for the I-130 a week ago. My question is in reference to my original birth certificate. Since I do not have it, and have no way of getting it from Pakistan (I have never gone back there, and have no way of getting one), can I use the certified (notarized in Pakistan) copy of that birth certificate that I have on me when the time comes to submit more documents to the NVC and take it with me to the interview in Montreal? What are my options in this regard? My parents are too old to even walk, and I am almost 47, so there is no way that they can get another one issued (which in and of itself is a nightmare to get in a country like Pakistan). With no proper record systems in place, it is not likely that I can get an original one. Thanks.
  15. Sonata Arctica

    Need Help with My Situation in Canada (merged)

    After the application is received and accepted, how does it get assigned to a specific office and when does it get worked on? The progress time shown for an office is based on the date the application was signed by us or is it based on when it was received? Ours just got accepted today and has been assigned to Nebraska office. Wondering what happens now. I wish there was a process flow available with approximate timelines and steps that one needs to take. We got the support part covered now. The only thing that remains is proving the domicile, which I hope can be done even if my wife doesnt have a job in the US yet. It doesnt make sense that they would do that. What if someone is self-employed, work-from-home kind of a professional? What then? Not everyone has a job or wants a job. I am certain there are many ways to prove domicile or the intent to establish domicile. The intent part is very clearly stated, so why would that be limited to having a job for the sponsor?