ctb

Initial Green Card is missing/haven't received it.

14 posts in this topic

My mother-in-law was petitioned on form I-130 and was approved.  She went through the process and finally immigrated to America.  We've been waiting for her green card to arrive in the mail.  We were provided with a USPS tracking number which said the package was delivered on July, 6, 2018.  Today is July 16, 2018.  We've called the local USPS office and they're confident that the package was delivered to our home and said that there's nothing else they can do.  

We did not receive the green card.  I told the USPS that their explanation leaves me with no solution.  What can we do?  Can we get a replacement green card?  How long will it take?  How much money will it cost? 

Thank you in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Questions: Is your mother-in-law certain someone else with access to mail at that address did not pick it up? Could it have been mis-delivered to a neighbor?

According to this chart (found here - https://www.uscis.gov/i-90):

Filing Fees by Application Reason:

Reason for Application

Form Fee

Biometric Services

Total

(A) My card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.

$455

$85

$540

(B) My previous card was issued but never received.

$0

$0

$0

(C) My card has been mutilated.

$455

$85

$540

The trick to paying no fee would be proving it was never received,  as USPS asserts that it was. Make sure it wasn't picked up by someone else.

Edited by tamcloud

K-1...

08/09/2015: I-129F mailed
08/14/2015: NOA1 received by email; hardcopy received approximately 08/17/2015
09/14/2015: NOA2 received
09/30/2015: NVC received case
10/02/2015: CEAC status changed to "In Transit"
10/08/2015: CEAC status changed to "Ready"
10/09/2015: Consulate acknowledged receipt via phone; Hardcopy from US DoS with case number.
10/19/2015: Received information from Consulate.
10/28/2015: Medical Exam
11/17/2015: Interview...rescheduled due to computer problems. New date as yet unknown.
11/18/2015: Called in for interview and APPROVED!

11/24/2015: Picked up visa/passport and sealed packet from the Consulate! <happy dance>

02/14/2016: Arrived in the U.S. (POE was Bermuda)...CO was really nice!

02/18/2016: Married! :)

AOS...

03/02/2016: AOS/EAD/AP Package mailed
03/14/2016: I-485/765/131 NOAs received by mail. USCIS Received Date 03/04/2016; USCIS Notice Date 03/10/2016
03/25/2016: Received biometrics appointment letter for I-485 & I-765
04/04/2016: Biometrics appointment
04/26/2016: Received notification that the I-131 was approved and the name was updated on the I-765
05/23/2016: Received notice that card was being produced for I-765.
05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP card.
06/01/2016: Received electronic notice that AOS interview has been scheduled.
06/30/2016: I-485 interview at USCIS Baltimore Field Office.
09/01/2016: InfoPass appointment made for 09/07/2016.
09/06/2016: Received electronic notification that I-485 was approved on 09/02/2016.
09/09/2016: Received approval letter.
09/14/2016: Green Card delivered! :)

ROC...

06/13/2018: I-751 package mailed to Vermont Service Center
06/25/2018: NOA/extension letter received, dated 06/19/2018

07/14/2018: Received ASC notice for Biometrics Appointment

07/25/18: Completed Biometrics

06/13/19: Received email notification of card production. I-751 approved!

06/19/19: 10yr card delivered!

On 7/2/2018 at 7:47 PM, aleful said:

hi

front and back of the Green Card,

until she receives the physical card, the stamp in her passport, the i551 valid for a year

eventually she will need to send a copy of the green card

6 minutes ago, tamcloud said:

Questions: Is your mother-in-law certain someone else with access to mail at that address did not pick it up? Could it have been mis-delivered to a neighbor?

According to this chart (found here - https://www.uscis.gov/i-90):

Filing Fees by Application Reason:

Reason for Application

Form Fee

Biometric Services

Total

(A) My card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.

$455

$85

$540

(B) My previous card was issued but never received.

$0

$0

$0

(C) My card has been mutilated.

$455

$85

$540

The trick to paying no fee would be proving it was never received,  as USPS asserts that it was. Make sure it wasn't picked up by someone else.

Thank you for your response.  I've asked the people that live at the house (my parents).  They said that they don't didn't pick anything up.  I've asked the USPS and they said they mail was scanned and delivered.  There's no package! I'm really lost.  My mother in law has i-551 (temporary green card).  We've waited two months to receive this and now it's lost.  

I'm hopeful that it was delivered to a neighbor and it will be returned to the correct address.  It's been 10 days and no.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

I wish you luck in it being located!

K-1...

08/09/2015: I-129F mailed
08/14/2015: NOA1 received by email; hardcopy received approximately 08/17/2015
09/14/2015: NOA2 received
09/30/2015: NVC received case
10/02/2015: CEAC status changed to "In Transit"
10/08/2015: CEAC status changed to "Ready"
10/09/2015: Consulate acknowledged receipt via phone; Hardcopy from US DoS with case number.
10/19/2015: Received information from Consulate.
10/28/2015: Medical Exam
11/17/2015: Interview...rescheduled due to computer problems. New date as yet unknown.
11/18/2015: Called in for interview and APPROVED!

11/24/2015: Picked up visa/passport and sealed packet from the Consulate! <happy dance>

02/14/2016: Arrived in the U.S. (POE was Bermuda)...CO was really nice!

02/18/2016: Married! :)

AOS...

03/02/2016: AOS/EAD/AP Package mailed
03/14/2016: I-485/765/131 NOAs received by mail. USCIS Received Date 03/04/2016; USCIS Notice Date 03/10/2016
03/25/2016: Received biometrics appointment letter for I-485 & I-765
04/04/2016: Biometrics appointment
04/26/2016: Received notification that the I-131 was approved and the name was updated on the I-765
05/23/2016: Received notice that card was being produced for I-765.
05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP card.
06/01/2016: Received electronic notice that AOS interview has been scheduled.
06/30/2016: I-485 interview at USCIS Baltimore Field Office.
09/01/2016: InfoPass appointment made for 09/07/2016.
09/06/2016: Received electronic notification that I-485 was approved on 09/02/2016.
09/09/2016: Received approval letter.
09/14/2016: Green Card delivered! :)

ROC...

06/13/2018: I-751 package mailed to Vermont Service Center
06/25/2018: NOA/extension letter received, dated 06/19/2018

07/14/2018: Received ASC notice for Biometrics Appointment

07/25/18: Completed Biometrics

06/13/19: Received email notification of card production. I-751 approved!

06/19/19: 10yr card delivered!

Last year, there was one person had a same problem. It took her almost 1 month to prove that she did not get the greencard, so USCIS did not charge card fee when they issued another one. However, she had to wait 1 year to get a new green card (not 2 months as the first card).

Because USCIS did not prioritize the replacement or reissue of greencard.

Firstly, you should ensure that your address is the same as in DS-260. If they found out you move to a new address and you did not inform them, they will consider it as your fault and charge new green card fee. Also ensure that no one else in your home got the card or signed delivery form.

Secondly, you should contact the USCIS now to notify them that you did not get the greencard, and ask them what you can do, so no one else can use your mother's greencard.

They will instruct you to fill a form  I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

Thirdly, you may have to ask USPS to certify that you did not get the card, so you don't have to pay the fee for reissuing.

This process may took you for awhile because they would not claim their fault.

You will have to ask to see the delivery form with a signature of the person who got your card.

You should contact USCIS so they can guide you how to prove it.

Edited by Triple28

44 minutes ago, Triple28 said:

Last year, there was one person had a same problem. It took her almost 1 month to prove that she did not get the greencard, so USCIS did not charge card fee when they issued another one. However, she had to wait 1 year to get a new green card (not 2 months as the first card).

Because USCIS did not prioritize the replacement or reissue of greencard.

Firstly, you should ensure that your address is the same as in DS-260. If they found out you move to a new address and you did not inform them, they will consider it as your fault and charge new green card fee. Also ensure that no one else in your home got the card or signed delivery form.

Secondly, you should contact the USCIS now to notify them that you did not get the greencard, and ask them what you can do, so no one else can use your mother's greencard.

They will instruct you to fill a form  I-90 Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

Thirdly, you may have to ask USPS to certify that you did not get the card, so you don't have to pay the fee for reissuing.

This process may took you for awhile because they would not claim their fault.

You will have to ask to see the delivery form with a signature of the person who got your card.

You should contact USCIS so they can guide you how to prove it.

The package didn't require a signature, it was dropped off "in or around mailbox."  My home has a mail slot to the door of the garage.  I've checked everywhere outside.  The USPS claimed that they have the coordinates of the delivery which is my home.  My parents live at the house and i've asked them if they've seen this package and they have not seen it.  

It's really unfortunate if we have to wait one year for my mother-in-laws green card if we apply form i-90 .  We're currently petitioning for her son, under age 21 on form i-130 which will require a copy of her green card.  The application has already been sent and received.  Now we will potentially have to delay his case which is really bad luck!!! Every one involved is so anxious and upset, how can this happen? 

Who do I contact in regards to the missing green card? I've tried the online inquiry forms and all the cases don't match my case.  I'd like to be pointed at the right direction.  

Thank you in advance!

33 minutes ago, ctb said:

It's really unfortunate if we have to wait one year for my mother-in-laws green card if we apply form i-90 .  We're currently petitioning for her son, under age 21 on form i-130 which will require a copy of her green card.  The application has already been sent and received.  Now we will potentially have to delay his case which is really bad luck!!! Every one involved is so anxious and upset, how can this happen? 

Who do I contact in regards to the missing green card? I've tried the online inquiry forms and all the cases don't match my case.  I'd like to be pointed at the right direction. 

I-551 stamped on your mother's passport is considered as a temporary green card and it is valid within 1 year.

Image: CBP endorsed Immigrant Visa

Your mother can use it as a proof of resident for travelling, finding a job, petition for your brother, or anything require a proof of resident status (however, you should check with the officer who process the case).

If after 1 year and new green card is not available, your mother can get a new I-551 stamp in the USCIS office.

In order to contact USCIS, you use this site to find the local USCIS near you, so you can go there and ask for their help:

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

P/S: You should ask lawyer to know whether your mother can petition for your brother. The processing time for F2B case is 7 years, so your mother can use her temporary green card to submit the application. Sometimes USCIS needs 2-3 years for approving. You don't have to postpone the application.  

Edited by Triple28

6 hours ago, ctb said:

The package didn't require a signature, it was dropped off "in or around mailbox."  My home has a mail slot to the door of the garage.  I've checked everywhere outside.  The USPS claimed that they have the coordinates of the delivery which is my home.  My parents live at the house and i've asked them if they've seen this package and they have not seen it.  

Just FYI, you keep on talking about a “package”, just to be sure so you know and that you don’t have them looking for the wrong thing, it is just a regular envelope, with (if it’s still the same as when we got ours) an anonymous P.O. Box number in Mesquite TX as the return address. If they’re looking for some big package that is noticeably from USCIS, they won’t find it.

Did you ask any of the neighbors if they got it by mistake?

15 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Just FYI, you keep on talking about a “package”, just to be sure so you know and that you don’t have them looking for the wrong thing, it is just a regular envelope, with (if it’s still the same as when we got ours) an anonymous P.O. Box number in Mesquite TX as the return address. If they’re looking for some big package that is noticeably from USCIS, they won’t find it.

Did you ask any of the neighbors if they got it by mistake?

HI Susie,

That is the thing, we don't know how the envelope/package looks like.  We only know it was from USCIS when we checked our case status online.  I've already gone to the local post office and they said the gps coordinates say that it was delivered to my house. Nothing else they can do. I've asked the my mother and father who lives at the home and they haven't seen no envelope. The "envelope" was sent from Lee Summit, Missouri.  

I am really stumped.  I will talk to the neighbors today.  If they were my "neighbors" they should have returned the envelope already.  It's been like 10 days.  

I'm so lost.  How can the mail person delivering the envelope be so careless?  As I said, i've checked with the local USPS office and they're adamant that the envelope was delivered and even showed me the gps coordinates which kind of looks like my house. 

I really do not have a recourse.  Currently, my mother-in-law is submitting form i-130 for her child under 21.  The application has been received and we know eventually, we will have to provide a photo copy of her green card which we NEVER received.  We have no motive to lie about not receiving the green card.  It is extremely frustrating that we cannot simply receive something as important as a green card in the mail.  

I've looked online that we can fill out form i-90 and be charged $500+ dollars for a replacement green card which can take up to 1-year to receive.  Let me get this straight, we never got the initial green card and now you want me to pay more money and wait 1-year?  Is there a process to expedite this and possibly have a replacement green card sent for free?

Thank you again in advance! 

58 minutes ago, ctb said:

I'm so lost.  How can the mail person delivering the envelope be so careless?  As I said, i've checked with the local USPS office and they're adamant that the envelope was delivered and even showed me the gps coordinates which kind of looks like my house. 

I really do not have a recourse.  Currently, my mother-in-law is submitting form i-130 for her child under 21.  The application has been received and we know eventually, we will have to provide a photo copy of her green card which we NEVER received.  We have no motive to lie about not receiving the green card.  It is extremely frustrating that we cannot simply receive something as important as a green card in the mail.  

I've looked online that we can fill out form i-90 and be charged $500+ dollars for a replacement green card which can take up to 1-year to receive.  Let me get this straight, we never got the initial green card and now you want me to pay more money and wait 1-year?  Is there a process to expedite this and possibly have a replacement green card sent for free?

Thank you again in advance! 

Please read my previous posts, I provided all the info and guided you what you should do now:

- Find the local USCIS office near you and go there to ask them, they will let you know what you can do.

- I-551 stamped on your mother's passport is a temporary green card, so you can use it to replace your green card temporarily.

You should contact USCIS now to ask them what you can do.

Sooner or later, you have to contact the USCIS to process the green card for your mother, as well as submitting documents to waive your fee.

You are wasting your time for waiting and frustrating for an unfortunate event.

P/S: You can post your question in the sub-forum below where members in US may can help you:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/15-moving-to-the-us-and-your-new-life-in-america/

Edited by Triple28

23 hours ago, Triple28 said:

Please read my previous posts, I provided all the info and guided you what you should do now:

- Find the local USCIS office near you and go there to ask them, they will let you know what you can do.

- I-551 stamped on your mother's passport is a temporary green card, so you can use it to replace your green card temporarily.

You should contact USCIS now to ask them what you can do.

Sooner or later, you have to contact the USCIS to process the green card for your mother, as well as submitting documents to waive your fee.

You are wasting your time for waiting and frustrating for an unfortunate event.

P/S: You can post your question in the sub-forum below where members in US may can help you:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/15-moving-to-the-us-and-your-new-life-in-america/

Thank you for the reply.

I reread your initial reply in great detail.  You make great points that I didn't know.

I've contacted USCIS customer service on the phone.  I've asked them to investigate this with the post office and they said that there's nothing that they can do.  The customer service rep told me that I should wait 60 days from the date that the green card was delivered to call them back for additional steps.  Why would I wait 60 days when it's been almost 2-weeks and the envelope is missing?

It's very unfortunate.  I'll probably have to take a day off from work to go to the USCIS local office and have them tell me the same thing, "sorry we can't help you."   Both the Post Office and USCIS is worthless in this case as there's no resolution.  I do not think it's fair to apply for a replacement green card, wait 1-year, pay the fee when the initial green card was mis-delivered.

I understand the stamp I-551 is a temporary green card that is valid for one-year.  My mother-in-law recently submitted form i-130 for her child under 21 years old.  Will we have to submit a photocopy of her actual green card that she never received?   If we have to apply for a replacement green card, it will take up to 1-year which may delay her pending case.

Sorry rant over.  

Edited by ctb

2 hours ago, ctb said:

I've contacted USCIS customer service on the phone.  I've asked them to investigate this with the post office and they said that there's nothing that they can do.  The customer service rep told me that I should wait 60 days from the date that the green card was delivered to call them back for additional steps.  Why would I wait 60 days when it's been almost 2-weeks and the envelope is missing?

The reason why USCIS employee ask you to wait for 60 days, because that is the timeframe to ensure they you have lost the green card.

He thought that USPS has not delivered it to you, or USPS will find it and send it to you within 60 days after you file a complain for missing package.

2 hours ago, ctb said:

I'll probably have to take a day off from work to go to the USCIS local office and have them tell me the same thing, "sorry we can't help you."   Both the Post Office and USCIS is worthless in this case as there's no resolution.

Did you visit the local USCIS office?

If you visit them and the employee said that they cannot help you. So you have to ask to meet the supervisor/manager/director of USPS and USCIS.

For USPS supervisor:

- Ask him to certify that you did not get the green card or file a complain for package lost.

If he cannot help you, ask to meet his manager/director or anyone has a higher level.

Or you can find their email and write a complain (which takes longer to get a reply).

Because they will try to hide their fault and do not want their director know it.

As I said, the person who had the same problem last year had to travel back and forth until she met the supervisor who was willing to certify it for her (which took her 1 month)

For USCIS supervisor:

- Ask him if you are eligible for green card fee waiver due to missing green card package, because you did not get it.

You have to state that this is USPS fault, not yours.

What should you do to be eligible for the waiver? What documents to prove it? So you don't have to pay the fee.

Tell them that USPS had said that they delivered it but you did not get it, and they did not want to certify that it was their fault. 

You cannot ask USCIS to contact USPS for you. They will never do that. They can only guide you what documents they need to waive your fee.

In case their supervisor deny to help you, you can ask to meet his manager/director or anyone has higher level.

The last chance is to contact the congressman to help you if their director deny you.

2 hours ago, ctb said:

I understand the stamp I-551 is a temporary green card that is valid for one-year.  My mother-in-law recently submitted form i-130 for her child under 21 years old.  Will we have to submit a photocopy of her actual green card that she never received?

You should ask the USCIS employee when you meet them. Only them can answer this question for you.

FOR EVERYONE IN THE US, YOU SHOULD REGISTER USPS INFORMED DELIVERY SERVICE:

You guys should register your email and mobile phone in USPS website: https://informeddelivery.usps.com

Every morning, they will send you an email or SMS noted that you have some mails which will be delivered today.

So you can watch your mailbox and avoid the package thief stole it.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the tip for people who lost their green card in mail, written by greencardsuccess in 2015.

On 9/28/2015 at 11:35 PM, greencardsuccess said:

I know this is an old post, but replying because we just went through this with my husband. We were married a few years ago and he applied to have the conditions removed from his green card. We received a letter stating he was okay to be in the country for the next year and then a letter stating he was approved and we'd receive the card within 60 days.

Long story short the card did not arrive, but showed as 'Delivered' by USPS, USCIS told us we'd have to re-pay the fee because of that, even though it was never actually delivered.

Through tons of research (and no lawyers) we were able to both: travel internationally/re-enter the U.S. without the green card, and get a new green card without paying the $450 fee again. Here are those steps...

1. Know when your green card was supposed to arrive, get tracking from USCIS, you can call their number to request this once it has shipped.
  2. If the tracking shows it should have been delivered and it has not - file a lost mail claim with USPS. You can do this online: https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm Keep a copy of this claim#.
  3. USPS should contact you back with an update on the claim - chances are they won't, continue to check back in on status of the claim, they will conduct an internal investigation and you should have an answer in 2-4 weeks. Pester them until they have finalized the investigation on the claim. Each time you speak with someone over the phone, make sure they make notes in the system about your discussion. You'll need those later. At this point we also got a cryptic call from our local USPS office which was useless. They also said they stopped by and our name wasn't posted on our mailbox, which is a lie, it has always been there.
  4. When you do get a response on the final status of the claim, you can move onto the next step. Chances are USPS will say 'it was delivered, the post person said they delivered it' which makes you feel like steps 2 and 3 were a total waste of time, but they're necessary. Next you need to call the Postal Inspection Service (877-876-2455) and file another claim with them, for mail theft. You'll get another claim#, keep a copy of that. At this point there may be further investigation needed, if so follow up with them until you get an answer (that answer will likely be, 'we couldn't find it, case closed'). Make sure they note all the detail about the investigation in the claim, including the final findings that it wasn't found.
  5. When your secondary claim is also closed, call the USPS Consumer Affairs office, you can find the contact info for your local office here: https://ribbs.usps.gov/locators/find-cam.cfm (You may be on hold for about an hour.) Tell them both of your claim numbers and that you need a copy of your claim mailed to you. They may tell you they can't, or that you have to call another department or your local post office, they can, and will, talk to a supervisor if you have to.
  6. Now re-file your paperwork with USCIS, including all the necessary forms and a copy of the claim from USPS (also keep a copy for your own records). However check the box stating the the green card was lost or never delivered. Include a cover letter explaining the situation, and highlight key points, including the USPS confirming it wasn't delivered.
  7. They should waive the fee, if they do not, you can contact your local senator's office, but in my experience it takes about 2-3 months for a response. The only thing this step helped us with is through them we got written confirmation from USCIS that if we could submit paperwork from USPS confirming it wasn't delivered (the 2 claims), then they would waive the fee. This is why ensuring notes are made in your claim is so important throughout the process.

At any point, if you need to travel abroad, if you have a letter stating you have legal status through whatever date (assuming it's at least 3-6 months int he future), this along with ID suffices to get back into the country. But call USCIS in advance of travel to confirm for your specific case. I also recommend bringing all key paperwork when traveling to be safe upon re-entry.

Also, you can re-file paperwork at any point in time with USCIS (knowing it will get denied until you have completed the steps above), but as long as your case shows 'open' you can then go to your local USCIS office and they will stamp your passport for free. In general they may do this for only 30-60 days in the future, but my husband was able to get his stamped for 5 months in the future due to pending travel.
Good luck!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.