MandyAlex

BIRTH CERTIFICATE FOR AOS INTERVIEW

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Do we need to bring the Birth Certificate for the beneficiary to the AOS interview even though one was submitted with the I-485 application? The NOA letter says to bring the medical/vaccines Form I-693 and Affidavit of Support Form I-864 UNLESS ALREADY SUBMITTED, but how about the Birth Certificate?

K-1 Petition - California Service Center

Sent by FedEx: Feb 9 2016

Received at CSC: Feb 10 2016

NOA1: Feb 12 2016

Approved/NOA2: May 31 2016

NOA1 TO NOA2: 111 Days

NVC Received: July 26, 2016

NOA2 TO NVC: 56 Days

NVC Case #: July 27, 2016

NVC Processing: 3 Business Days

NVC To Consulate: July 29, 2016

Consulate Received: Aug 1, 2016

Consulate Ready: Aug 5, 2016

Interview: Sep 19, 2016

(Visa Approved!)

POE: Oct 17, 2016

Wedding: Dec 22, 2016

Filed for AOS: May 5, 2017

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi Mandy / Alex -- 

I just responded another thread with a similar question hope this will help you too: 

I had my AOS interview (adjusting from K1) in Los Angeles last month. 

Q1: I didn't submit I-693 as the health / vaccination document form (DS-3025 ) performed during my K-1 Visa application was still valid (i.e. within the 1 year period of my AOS). I submitted the 'Applicant Copy' of DS-3025 (signed as COMPLETE by US Embassy appointed the panel of physicians)  and also the vaccination record in my AOS Application pack. During my interview, I was even asked about anything related to vaccine / health check by the officer. 

Q2: I did not submit any new / additional documents from my husband (Primary Sponsor) and our Joint Sponsor. Because ALL of these documents were submitted in my AOS along with my AOS Application Pack in August 2017. NOTE: My interview was in December 2017. And based on my interview the officer didn't even ask / mention anything related to finance / tax documents. 

Q3: They will ask TO SEE the original birth certificate from each of you (the USC / Petitioner and the Beneficiary). They might want to keep a copy of these birth certificates but they will ask and verify with you before they keep a copy whether it's OK for them to keep a copy (I am assuming this is to ensure that they did not take the original copy). My advice is to ALWAYS have both the original and copy of these documents. 

From my experience, here are things that I would like to pass to you: 

1. Bring a copy EVERYTHING (as in EVERYTHING) that you and your spouse have ever submitted for your case. If your wife came to the US with a K1 visa then you would want to bring the: 

• COPY of all the documents you (and your wife) submitted for your I-129F Petition
  • COPY of all the documents you (and your wife) submitted for your wife's K-1 Visa interview
  • COPY of all the documents you (and your wife) submitted for your wife's AOS, (and EAD, AP if applicable for your case)

Why do I think this is necessary? because in my particular case, the officer who interviewed me and my husband did not have a copy of our I-129F and asked us "Where are all your old photos?" so I gave her a copy of the photo booklet we submitted along with our I-129F back in 2016. 

2. Your officer (the person who will be interviewing you and your wife) MIGHT  not be familiar at all with your case / documents and they also MIGHT not be given all the documents you ever submitted. This is why I suggest bring everything ever submitted for your case. Our officer didn't have the approved I-129F Form for our case (which I have a copy given during my K-1 Interview). But she explained that she cannot accept a copy of this particular document from the applicant, she must obtain this document from the 'System'. 

3. You MIGHT not get the final approval / Green Card approval by the end of your interview. Missing documents might cause this. This happened to us. Our officer explained about the missing I-129F but she said it's not our fault it's basically bad organization on their part. She advised not to overthink / stressed over this inconclusive interview and that we will hear from her witihn the next three weeks.

• Our interview was on 11 December 2017;
  • Conratulatory Notice (white sheet) dated 26 December 2017 arrived via mail on 29 December 2017;
  • Actual Green Card arrived via mail on 30 December; and
  • Official Approval Notice arrived 2 January 2018.

The officer was not joking when she said that we will hear back within the next three weeks. 

BONUS: Our officer was SUPER kind, pleasant and was not, at all, intimidating. I read storied here where people say that their interviewere was intimidating. This was not the case of me and my husband. She was actually very friendly. 

Aside from that, GOOD LUCK!! HAVE FUN!!! and this is me being an old caring father, "Eat before the interview because once you checked in for your interview you'll be waiting for a long while. Also, wear something proper and nice."

GOOD LUCK!!

J/G

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.