Annie0913

Birth certificate vs family book (cambodia)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hello, we are filing for k1 visa and I have a question.

My fiances birth certificate states that his mother's birth place is at kandal county while his family book states that her birth place is at Phnom penh.

When I filed the G-325A I put kandal county.

My fiance is now telling me that her birth place is at Phnom Penh and that his birth cer is incorrect.

My question is: Is this a big deal? Does he now have to apply for a new birth certificate just to change his mother's birth place? He inquired about it and they're not sure how long it will take and that they'll give him a call back.

I'm frustrated because I'm not sure if he would get his new birth certificate on time for his interview. 

G-325A is NO longer needed!! Skip that form altogether :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Here's the VJ K-1 guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Latest edition I-129F form and instructions sheet: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Current filing fee is $535, make sure you get the amount right. Also, read both the guide and instructions sheet to make sure you got everything covered. The guide is not updated in terms of forms BUT all other information is still useful and relevant.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

G-325A is NO longer needed!! Skip that form altogether :)

Hi thanks for the reply but I already filed and now just waiting for my case to reach the US embassy in Cambodia lol

I was asking about my fiances birth certificate when he brings to his interview :(

1 minute ago, Annie0913 said:

Hi thanks for the reply but I already filed and now just waiting for my case to reach the US embassy in Cambodia lol

I was asking about my fiances birth certificate when he brings to his interview :(

Sorry! I didn't look at your timeline. Thought you haven't sent it in :)

He'll just need to bring both his birth certificate and family book. If the CO asks, he should be able to explain it to the CO. If they need him to get either document rectified, I'm sure they will ask him to do so. Or who knows, perhaps such mismatched information happen frequently and the CO at the local embassy would understand and won't give him a hard time.

I wish you and your fiance all the best. Keep my fingers crossed for his visa approval.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

Sorry! I didn't look at your timeline. Thought you haven't sent it in :)

He'll just need to bring both his birth certificate and family book. If the CO asks, he should be able to explain it to the CO. If they need him to get either document rectified, I'm sure they will ask him to do so. Or who knows, perhaps such mismatched information happen frequently and the CO at the local embassy would understand and won't give him a hard time.

I wish you and your fiance all the best. Keep my fingers crossed for his visa approval.

Haha oh no I guess i was a bit confusing ;) and yes.. that's what I suggested to him.. to just leave his birth certificate as is but he wants to get it right but it's just so frustrating because we don't know how long it will take 

Anyway, thank you for the well wishes!

Haha oh no I guess i was a bit confusing ;) and yes.. that's what I suggested to him.. to just leave his birth certificate as is but he wants to get it right but it's just so frustrating because we don't know how long it will take 

Anyway, thank you for the well wishes!

Never know what a CO will ask at a visa interview but a K-1 visa interview is more to establish that your relationship is bonafide so *maybe* the question on his mother's mismatched birth info won't even come up.

Are you heading to Cambodia to attend the interview with him?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

Never know what a CO will ask at a visa interview but a K-1 visa interview is more to establish that your relationship is bonafide so *maybe* the question on his mother's mismatched birth info won't even come up.

Are you heading to Cambodia to attend the interview with him?

That's exactly what I said to him that his mom's birth place is not really a big deal but he just doesn't want to take any chances. Which I totally get but it still worries me. 

Nope I won't be able to make it because I already used up like a month vacation back in February to see him. I don't have enough days to revisit him and join him for the interview sadly.

That's exactly what I said to him that his mom's birth place is not really a big deal but he just doesn't want to take any chances. Which I totally get but it still worries me. 

Nope I won't be able to make it because I already used up like a month vacation back in February to see him. I don't have enough days to revisit him and join him for the interview sadly.

Yeah I understand about wanting to make sure everything is in order before the interview but with the birth certificate or family book correction, it may or may not be necessary. Should wait to see what the CO say, if anything at all. 

I am looking at the Cambodia's Packet 3 found on the embassy's website (https://kh.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/80/2016/06/K1-Visa-Instruction-English-09JUN2016.pdf). It only says to provide birth certificate, nothing about the family book at all. Also, the DS-160 does not ask about parents' birth location, just where they are currently residing. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

Yeah I understand about wanting to make sure everything is in order before the interview but with the birth certificate or family book correction, it may or may not be necessary. Should wait to see what the CO say, if anything at all. 

I am looking at the Cambodia's Packet 3 found on the embassy's website (https://kh.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/80/2016/06/K1-Visa-Instruction-English-09JUN2016.pdf). It only says to provide birth certificate, nothing about the family book at all. Also, the DS-160 does not ask about parents' birth location, just where they are currently residing. 

Yeah I did notice that too but I don't know.. he's very stubborn and still wants to get it fixed. Nothing much I can do over here :huh:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.