silkroad2000

I-864 using the combined income of the sponsor and spouse

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi All, 

My wife and I are both PhD students in US. My wife is a US citizen and she is petitioning for my green card application. Her income is 1000$ short of the poverty line for the family of size two (she is a PhD student). However I read the following lines in the instructions. 

If you included the income of the intending immigrant who is your spouse (he or she would be counted in Part 5., Item Number 1.), you must provide evidence that his/her income will continue from the current source after obtaining lawful permanent resident status, and the intending immigrant must provide evidence that he or she is living in your residence. He or she does not need to complete Form I-864A unless he or she has accompanying children. 

As I understand, since I am the only immigrant without any children and already living in the same household together, our combined income can be used to determine the poverty line. And, I do not need to fill the I-864A form.

Question 1: I would appreciate if someone verifies that my understanding of the statement is correct. 

Question 2: I am about to graduate this summer. Therefore, the department cannot issue a letter that I would remain a student for the next year. However, already have job offers with six figure salary and I have attached it to the documents. Do you think that would be enough to demonstrate the case?

Thank you all

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, silkroad2000 said:

Hi All, 

My wife and I are both PhD students in US. My wife is a US citizen and she is petitioning for my green card application. Her income is 1000$ short of the poverty line for the family of size two (she is a PhD student). However I read the following lines in the instructions. 

If you included the income of the intending immigrant who is your spouse (he or she would be counted in Part 5., Item Number 1.), you must provide evidence that his/her income will continue from the current source after obtaining lawful permanent resident status, and the intending immigrant must provide evidence that he or she is living in your residence. He or she does not need to complete Form I-864A unless he or she has accompanying children. 

As I understand, since I am the only immigrant without any children and already living in the same household together, our combined income can be used to determine the poverty line. And, I do not need to fill the I-864A form.

Question 1: I would appreciate if someone verifies that my understanding of the statement is correct. 

Question 2: I am about to graduate this summer. Therefore, the department cannot issue a letter that I would remain a student for the next year. However, already have job offers with six figure salary and I have attached it to the documents. Do you think that would be enough to demonstrate the case?

Thank you all

Are you here on a student visa?  Do you have OPT?

if none of these then no.  If you're not going to have a status you cannot use a job offer for a job that you don't have permission to work during.

Timeline

I am here on F-1 Visa but I don't have OPT.

My income is from my scholarship that I get from school as a PhD research assistant. 

Also, won't I get the EAD card after three months of sending my package? So, I would be able to work, right?

Timeline
9 hours ago, silkroad2000 said:

I am here on F-1 Visa but I don't have OPT.

My income is from my scholarship that I get from school as a PhD research assistant. 

Also, won't I get the EAD card after three months of sending my package? So, I would be able to work, right?

Nope.  Doesn't count cause the EAD is dependent on your greencard, get denied and that income no longer is there.  If it were that easy most immigrants wouldn't need a co sponsor.

Timeline

Thank you for your answer. Her income is only 1000$ short of the poverty line amount. But we have 25000$ worth of stocks in our investment account. Which is more than 5 times the difference of the income and poverty line. So, can we rely on those assets to help us? Do you think that we still need a co-sponsor? 

Timeline
34 minutes ago, silkroad2000 said:

Thank you for your answer. Her income is only 1000$ short of the poverty line amount. But we have 25000$ worth of stocks in our investment account. Which is more than 5 times the difference of the income and poverty line. So, can we rely on those assets to help us? Do you think that we still need a co-sponsor? 

I'm unsure about stocks, I don't know if they're a liquid asset 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.