DeepakChani

Can a F1 student select the start date of the OPT to be as late as possible

12 posts in this topic

Hello. I am on F1 Visa and Will be graduating in August. I had a question regarding OPT filing and how I can choose my start date of my OPT . I realize that in August, I will graduate and have 60 days beyond that to be in-status. Is it possible for me to choose a start date of the OPT on the 60th day of the 60 days? This way I can get more time to find a job and get an additional 90 days (90 day unemployment OPT rule) beyond the 60 days for a total of 150 days after graduation to be in-status? Is this possible? I want to extend the time looking for a job (planning for worst case).

yes. But that way you can't start working until the 60th day after graduation. Your international office should be able to help you with this.

2 minutes ago, DrEllaNJ said:

yes. But that way you can't start working until the 60th day after graduation. Your international office should be able to help you with this.

That is fine . Main reason is I plan to get married right after my graduation to a USC (bona fide marraige) and we need some time (150 days from f1 grace period and 90 day OPT unemployment rule) to file for AoS. I do not want to run into being out of status knowing we are in a Trump administration. What are your thoughts on this? WIll this be looked down upon by USCIS? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Marry now and adjust asap, problems solved.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

being out of status is forgiven for spouses of USC. Filing for OPT costs you about $400. If you ask me, if  you're already planning on getting married that's silly considering you'll spend about $2000 on AOS, and the cost of EAD is included in AOS. So if you don't have other pressing concerns that prevent you from getting married (at least legally) ASAP, getting married ASAP might be the best route to take.

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Marry now and adjust asap, problems solved.

I wish it was that easy. Being indian, we are getting a arranged marriage and we cannot cohabitate until I graduate since I am in Michigan and he is in California. Only after religious ceremony is held ( a week or two after my graduation), can I live with my USC spouse. I just want USCIS to understand the sitation that this is arranged marriage and that reason for me being in Michigan is to finish my studies and move to California after marriage. We plan to file for AoS  (concurrently) after the religious ceremony. Do you think this is the best route? 

If you're not concerned about working ASAP after your marriage and are only filing OPT to remain in status (you're talking about 150 days of unemployment), you should skip the OPT altogether and just wait for filing for AOS immediately after the wedding (or at least as soon as you get your marriage certificate). I can understand why being out of status makes you feel vulnerable, but it's perfectly fine (as long as you don't travel abroad or start working illegally). You will probably even file within your 60-day grace period, which means that you're then still legally present and will be adjusting from a legal status.

I wouldn't be too keen on making USCIS understand this is an arranged marriage - I'm not saying it's not bona fide, but they may get that impression. You want to make sure they understand you're not marrying to get the GC benefit.

For the record, I didn't live with my spouse until our wedding either. I moved from a different state, right after our wedding, and USCIS never asked anything about that.

Edited by DrEllaNJ

13 minutes ago, DrEllaNJ said:

If you're not concerned about working ASAP after your marriage and are only filing OPT to remain in status (you're talking about 150 days of unemployment), you should skip the OPT altogether and just wait for filing for AOS immediately after the wedding (or at least as soon as you get your marriage certificate). I can understand why being out of status makes you feel vulnerable, but it's perfectly fine (as long as you don't travel abroad or start working illegally). You will probably even file within your 60-day grace period, which means that you're then still legally present and will be adjusting from a legal status.

I wouldn't be too keen on making USCIS understand this is an arranged marriage - I'm not saying it's not bona fide, but they may get that impression. You want to make sure they understand you're not marrying to get the GC benefit.

For the record, I didn't live with my spouse until our wedding either. I moved from a different state, right after our wedding, and USCIS never asked anything about that.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am brand new to all this so hearing your success story really helps bring confidence. In terms of AoS filing and all of that I am looking to hire a lawyer to handle all the different intricacies of the process. Did you guys use a lawyer? If so, what should I be aware of?  

no lawyer, just follow this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Just remember to include copies of your i-20 and visa+ entry stamps whenever it says i-94. You can start gathering documents and forms, although you should probably check for the newest versions of the forms closer to your filing date.

Are you on F1 or USC?  Please keep to one perspective; posts are confusing

:time:

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Just now, KierenHby said:

Are you on F1 or USC?  Please keep to one perspective; posts are confusing

:time:

Haha sorry about that. I am a USC but my spouse to be is a F1.She has access to this account as well and posts questions too. That is why it looks confusing.

As you'd notice others have too, please fill your timeline. Your timeline makes it easier for others to guide you knowing where yo are in the process. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.