meauxna

DCF Canada: Yes Virginia, You Can

136 posts in this topic

The evidence of physical presence is probably as easy as a Driver License, utility bill or bank statements...

What about W-2s or evidence of US employment?

Sure, but not back farther than my passport documents. I only have W2s from 1999 (maybe 1998) to 2001 (the year I moved to Canada). So that only documents two years resident in the U.S. I could get my college transcripts, but that might take a bit, and cost...? I'm thinking that an affidavit might be my best bet, just not sure who should write it for me.

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The evidence of physical presence is probably as easy as a Driver License, utility bill or bank statements...

Sure, but not back farther than my passport documents. I only have W2s from 1999 (maybe 1998) to 2001 (the year I moved to Canada). So that only documents two years resident in the U.S. I could get my college transcripts, but that might take a bit, and cost...? I'm thinking that an affidavit might be my best bet, just not sure who should write it for me.

The $5 for a set of college transcripts is a lot cheaper and easier than getting an attorney to write up an affidavit from you. You may also want to contact your high school and get a copy of school records from them or a letter indicating the dates of your attendance.

Also getting old W2's and 1040's with your old US address is as easy as calling 1-800-879-1040.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

This is very strange - I could have sworn I already posted about W2s but can't find that post anywhere.

I do have some W2s but only going back to '99, and I moved here (to Canada) in '01, so that's only proof of two years. As far as other evidence of US employment, what else could I provide? Letters from former employers? That might take forever to compile, considering that my old superiors may not even be there anymore. I suppose I could contact HR departments...

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

Timeline

This is very strange - I could have sworn I already posted about W2s but can't find that post anywhere.

I do have some W2s but only going back to '99, and I moved here (to Canada) in '01, so that's only proof of two years. As far as other evidence of US employment, what else could I provide? Letters from former employers? That might take forever to compile, considering that my old superiors may not even be there anymore. I suppose I could contact HR departments...

You can get your old W-2's by calling the IRS... They have them quite a ways back if you need them. You can also get a social security statement. That will also show that you had income in the US at some point in time.

There are lots of very easily attainable records that you can get from my post above. You just have to take the time and ask for them...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

The $5 for a set of college transcripts is a lot cheaper and easier than getting an attorney to write up an affidavit from you. You may also want to contact your high school and get a copy of school records from them or a letter indicating the dates of your attendance.

Also getting old W2's and 1040's with your old US address is as easy as calling 1-800-879-1040.

Fantastic - thank you!

And, even more odd.... my other post and your reply mysteriously reappeared after my last msg. I'm really not losing it, I swear. Not yet, anyway. :D

Edited by laura428

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I could just cry reading this. :( Never knew about it all the five years the boy was living in Canada. -_-

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

ok people......I have a case very similar to Laura428, where my wife is the USC and I am Canadian, both of us live in BC. I am doing the research now, as she would like us to go back to the US to live, and have found this thread in the forum.

I have a question in regards to proving residence in the US. Do you need to prove current residence in the US (she has been here in Canada with me for the last five years), or just that she was at one time a resident of the US? It sounds like on some of the threads people are giving examples of proof that may not be current.

Please straighten this out for me.

Bruce

Timeline

Maybe I didn't quite explain the area I was looking for info. on. I understand that for to file for DCF, you must live in Canada, but in regards to proving residence (or a domicle) for the I-864 application for sponsorship. It is my understanding that the sponsor is required to prove some sort of residence or ties to a US address.

In my case, as mentioned above, my wife has been with me in Canada for 5 years, and doesn't have a US address or drivers licence , or etc. What can we do?

Any suggestions?

Bruce

Maybe I didn't quite explain the area I was looking for info. on. I understand that for to file for DCF, you must live in Canada, but in regards to proving residence (or a domicle) for the I-864 application for sponsorship. It is my understanding that the sponsor is required to prove some sort of residence or ties to a US address.

In my case, as mentioned above, my wife has been with me in Canada for 5 years, and doesn't have a US address or drivers licence , or etc. What can we do?

Any suggestions?

Bruce

Hi Bruce... sounds like you're in for a time like we've had. :)

When I spoke with Montreal, I was told that the only way to acheive domicile is to show that we're severing ties with Canada. Their suggestion was to sell our house... I told him that I wouldn't sell until we had the visa in hand in case it wasn't approved. He said that listing it would help, which we plan to do (we'll list one week before the interview, but won't accept offers until the day after it's been approved). We'll bring a copy of the listing with us. I also mentioned that my husband has a secured job in the States - this can also be used, if in writing and notorized, as proof that we mean to make the States our permanent home. I asked if setting up US bank accounts would help, or the fact that I've used my parents' address as my US address for the last five years - no go for either.

I was given a caveat at the end of the call, too... everything is up to the particular officer who hears our case. So even if this guy told me that selling the house and my husband's job would be enough to prove domicile, it depends on whom you talk to. Ugh. :wacko:

So... that's what we're doing. Do you have a house you can list? Any proof of employment once in the States?

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Timeline

Laura428.....thanks for the info.

Yes, we do have a house to list. I agree with you in that listing it around the interview date would make sense. My wife doesn't have a job offer as of yet, but is trying to obtain one. We are just entertaining the idea of a move to the US at the moment, as I am trying to get as much background info. as I can.

I appreciate you sharing your experiences, as it sounds like my case would be very similar to yours.

I am still a little confused as to how or what you wrote on the "packet 3" forms to show domicle. Or is it just a requirement at the interview stage?

Bruce

Also Laura428

If the interview is successful, hence, Green Card issued, I suppose that means that the Canadian is now legal to work in the US also. If this is the case, I should be able to estimate the interview date, and look for work starting now, so that I have a job to go to when we move. Does this sound right?

Bruce

I am still a little confused as to how or what you wrote on the "packet 3" forms to show domicle. Or is it just a requirement at the interview stage?

It's just for the interview stage.

If the interview is successful, hence, Green Card issued, I suppose that means that the Canadian is now legal to work in the US also. If this is the case, I should be able to estimate the interview date, and look for work starting now, so that I have a job to go to when we move. Does this sound right?

If I remember correctly, there is an option to check on the DS-230, I think, to request a social security number, thereby allowing you to work in the States. However, I've heard conflicting info on when you actually get your SSN. Some have said they got it right away, others said it took a few months. Depending on your line of work, you might do best to work with a recruiter who could keep an ear out for you and make a move when you're able to legally work. (This is what I did when I moved to Canada five years ago... kept in close contact with my recruiter, made sure he had a current copy of my resume, and then pounced on several opportunities when I gave him the signal.) If a recruiter wouldn't work, I'd definitely do some research and keep on top of things yourself, but wouldn't contact any employers until you have the interview date confirmed with Montreal... last thing you want to do is make a promise you can't keep. :)

Hope this helps... good luck if you decide to go forward with everything!

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Timeline

Laura428, great idea, use a headhunter and give them dates as to when you are available to work.

Are you able to give me a rough estimate of the costs involved in pursuing the "Green Card"? Were there any medical exams, police record cost etc.? How about the form submission costs?

Thanks,

bruce

Laura428, great idea, use a headhunter and give them dates as to when you are available to work.

Are you able to give me a rough estimate of the costs involved in pursuing the "Green Card"? Were there any medical exams, police record cost etc.? How about the form submission costs?

Thanks,

bruce

Hi Bruce...

Off of the top of my head, the biggest cost we've incurred thus far was the $190 USD to file the I-130. I know there was a fee for the police check - maybe $20? My husband went to take care of that by himself, so I'm not sure what the exact cost was. I know there is a cost for the medical but couldn't tell you what it is yet - that info is included in Packet 4, which we have not received. You'll also need to pay to have a few headshots taken - these were maybe $20 or 30. Oh, and if you don't have a long form birth certificate, you'll have to order that as well... can't remember the pricetag on that one.

Of course, there are the travel costs as well... even though you and I are both much closer to Vancouver, all DCF petitions go through Montreal, so you'll need to pay for airfare, hotel and all other costs incurred. I've been watching fares from Calgary to Montreal - cheapest I've seen thus far was $445, but we missed out on that one b/c we didn't have our interview date yet. I just checked again, and it's jumped to $600... argh.

Do you remember how much your wife paid to come to Canada five years ago? Honestly, all things considered, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to go to the States than it is to come here. I remember my immigration and work status combined costing me $1500, and that was just the application fee! Not to mention the medical and other miscellanea. What I find so funny about that is how the Canadian government is all on about bringing in more immigrants, but seems a bit cost-prohibitive, don't you think? I remember talking to our banker shortly after I moved here. Told her the costs of immigration, how I gave up a job that paid me $35k more USD per year, etc etc etc. She looked at my husband, and looked at me, and said, "Wow, you must REALLY love him." :D

Edited by laura428

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.