Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Upon Entry

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

My wife and I are movng to the US in 2018. I will be on a 10 year green card because we have been married for 5 years now. I was wondering how long it takes after entering the US to:

1. Get your greencard in the post

2. Be able to apply for your social security number and set up a bank account.

3. Apply and recieve your 2 year travel permit, which I will be applying for becasue I have to come back to the UK for work initially every few months for a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking that if I plan a 6 month period initially before I leave the country I should have all these things through and set up?

Many Thanks,


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

So...I'm confused.

You say you have been married for 5 years but your profile says a K-1 fiance visa. Further you talk about a travel permit (which would be for the K 1 visa) but that is not necessary if you are coming on a spousal visa such as a C-1.

Can you just clarify?

Good luck

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1- 2-3 months for the physical card, but you will get a stamp in your passport to act as a temporary greencard

2- this should come to your home within 2-4 weeks, if not, you can go to then SS office and get it there.

3- you don;t need a travel permit to go to the UK for a few weeks every few months, you have your greencard and can travel with it freely, as long as you stay more time in the USA than outside of it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming it is a spousal immigrant visa (IR-1) you are applying for;

1- It may be a week or two, or it may be a couple of months. Your IR-1 visa will be stamped and endorsed at your POE and acts as a temporary GC for up to one year, or until your physical card arrives.

2 - If you ticked the box to automatically assign you your SSN, it may arrive in the mail after a few weeks, or it may not (this is not uncommon). A quick visit to the SSN office will have you sorted, but I suggest you don't do this right away, as it can take a while for the systems they use to update your status. Personally I waited 10 days before visiting the SSN office and had no issues.

You do not need an SSN to open a US bank account.

3 - You do not need a travel permit. When you enter on the IR-1 visa you are immediately classed as a permanent resident, and as above, your endorsed immigrant visa will act a a temporary GC until your physical card arrives. You could leave the US the same day if you like.

Are you getting confused with the 2 year (CR-1) GC or perhaps a re-entry permit? The former is for people who have been married for less than 2 years, and the latter is something for permanent residents who wish to stay overseas for an extended period, without their permanent residency being abandoned. Unless you plan on spending over a year outside the US, you don't need one.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.