Marrienne

"Everything in duplicate" ????

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Uhm, guys, I have another question!!

I received my packet 3 from the Embassy and it says please submit the following documents, everything in duplicate.
a) The police certificate for judicial use, will be sent directly from my government to them. Do I need to tell them in duplicate also?
b) Do they need form I-864 in duplicate too?
We have a joint sponsor and the AOS is like 100 pages per person (there is 3 of us).
Do I need to photocopy all 300 pages?!?!?!?

Thanks guys!

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

2011 - Met hubby online and became friends
Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)
January 2016 - Finished gathering all documents and getting them translated
* * DCF in Athens, Greece * *

28th January 2016 - Finally filed I-130s
29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

September 2016 - Hubby is diagnosed with congestive heart failure
October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

October 2017 - March 2018 - Situation at home is toxic. He files for divorce.

July 2018 - Divorce is final. I have full custody of our daughter.

ROC (GC expires July 19th 2018)

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

August 30th - NOA1 received with 18 month extension (fee waiver approved).

March 28th 2019 - Biometrics

August 8th 2019 - Case Approved No RFE No Interview - 10 year GC in production

N400 (Online - Detroit, MI office)
June 6th 2023 - Applied for naturalization under 5 year rule.
June 7th 2023 - Application received/Biometric will be reused.
June 16th - Interview scheduled.
July 27th - Upcoming interview.

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to DCF Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Ouch. Athens seems to be a tough bunch. I think it is time for you to call or e-mail them. I have had to e-mail them here to clear up some questions about them asking for the same things that were sent over and over again on the i-130, packet 3. packet 4 and the interview reminder e-mail. I find it hard to believe they would want the i-864 and supporting docs in duplicate. Here they just tell you to be sure and make a copy for yourself in case they get lost in the mail or misplaced.

Timeline

I will do that Gradtaai, thanks.
They are asking for the SAME Things in packet 3 that they did for the I-130. They already have all of these docus (birth certificates, marriage certificates etc etc). The only new things are the penal records and the I-864.

What is packet 4? Is it the medical and interview info??

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)

29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I will do that Gradtaai, thanks.

They are asking for the SAME Things in packet 3 that they did for the I-130. They already have all of these docus (birth certificates, marriage certificates etc etc). The only new things are the penal records and the I-864.

What is packet 4? Is it the medical and interview info??

Yes. Here you can't get the medical without the having a interview date. Packet 4 is mostly about the medical and docs to bring to the interview.

Timeline

Thank you!!
Can you hand deliver packet 3?? We live like 20 minutes away from the Embassy.

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

Timeline

I called the Embassy. "Everything in duplicate" does NOT pertain to the AOS but only to civil documents :)

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

• 5 months later...

I called the Embassy. "Everything in duplicate" does NOT pertain to the AOS but only to civil documents :)

Hey there!! :))

I'm pretty much at this step now in Athens. So the "duplicate" part is not for my benefit to have a copy? I really have to give them 2 copies of all civil documents in the packet?

2. I have to give them AGAIN our marriage certificate, passport copies, and birth certificate as we already did during i-130 and in duplicate ??

3. I can hand deliver my documents to them without appointment?

4. I feel ripped off.... I have my spouses foreign police record to get translated. I decided to have the apostille translated too. but they can't translate all from Romania to English. It has to be Romania to Greek and then again from Greek to English. You pay double... so that is 52 euros for the quick. I didn't have to get apostille right? pfffft

Timeline

Yes you have to give them everything again. This is a different application and different division. Your papers from the I-130 will not be transferring to them.

Yes everything must be in duplicate.

No apostille is needed.

No you CANNOT hand deliver. They will not accept it. Everything must be shipped.

Make sure you write all your inso case number and the words "Immigrant Visa Unit" on the outside of the envelope as the security will not accept it otherwise

Best of luck!!

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

Yes you have to give them everything again. This is a different application and different division. Your papers from the I-130 will not be transferring to them.

Yes everything must be in duplicate.

No apostille is needed.

No you CANNOT hand deliver. They will not accept it. Everything must be shipped.

Make sure you write all your inso case number and the words "Immigrant Visa Unit" on the outside of the envelope as the security will not accept it otherwise

Best of luck!!

Hey again. Couple more questions to confirm ! Plezz :))

1. Will they still have the evidence I gave them from the I-130 at the interview?

2. When you say everything in duplicate... you mean ONLY civil documents and not the tax returns, AOS. Just the Foreign police certificate, birth certificate, marriage cert?

3. oh wow shipped?? okkkkkk

Timeline

No prob ask away.

1. No. The I-130 is handled by a different division. They say they "transfer the case" but basically what they mean is that you are given the green light to file for a visa.

2. Yes only civil documents and any other docs (i.e. we included medical diagnoses for my husband as we asked for an expedite)

3. You can use FedEx. We used ACS.

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

No prob ask away.

1. No. The I-130 is handled by a different division. They say they "transfer the case" but basically what they mean is that you are given the green light to file for a visa.

2. Yes only civil documents and any other docs (i.e. we included medical diagnoses for my husband as we asked for an expedite)

3. You can use FedEx. We used ACS.

Ah I was under the impression that they would have the photo's and such proving our relationship is real that we gave with the i-130 would be in their possession for the interview. Don't you need these photos and relationship evidence for the interview?

Timeline

Hmmmm, photos *maybe* . We did not hand over any relationship proof. It was not needed. Neither for the I-130 or the interview so I can't help you there. They for sure wanted all the civil documents though

After Arrival in the US

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.